CSNbbs
the lost commandment - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: the lost commandment (/thread-232580.html)

the lost commandment - Shrakk - 02-02-2007 12:04 AM

though shall not watch the Super Bowl

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/SPORTS03/70201036

- Terpy - 02-02-2007 12:17 AM

wtf? The NFL are some greedy bastards.

- georgia_tech_swagger - 02-02-2007 12:20 AM

Terpy Wrote:wtf? The NFL are some greedy bastards.

No worse than the MPAA and RIAA. What's the matter with your love of a "free" market now?

- PirateTreasureNC - 02-02-2007 12:21 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA

There will be about 20 some odd people at the Super Bowl Party I am going to.

I don't see how they could enforce that. I mean the church owns a big screen tv...whose to say they can't watch actual tv on it?

- DrTorch - 02-02-2007 08:35 AM

How does that make any sense at all?

I don't see this as "greedy", rather it's f'n stupid.

Other than burning more electricity, how does making people watch the game on more TV sets benefit the NFL?

They neither gain nor lose from this.

Shouldn't they be more concerned w/ retired players' medical bills? Or gambling issues?

Dumb.

- jrhessey - 02-02-2007 08:54 AM

When is the NFL going to start going after sports bars??

- mlb - 02-02-2007 09:51 AM

It says "mass out-of-home viewings". They don't care about people having a party at their house...

and I'll have about 25 people in my basement watching the game on a 110" screen :)

- ShoreBuc - 02-02-2007 11:00 AM

I think I would have to send this message to the NFL

[Image: kysmy.jpg]

- Terpy - 02-02-2007 11:09 AM

DrTorch Wrote:How does that make any sense at all?

Other than burning more electricity, how does making people watch the game on more TV sets benefit the NFL?

Shouldn't they be more concerned w/ retired players' medical bills? Or gambling issues?

Dumb.

Greedy may have been the wrong word, I guess more like just being control freaks, even though I think that can still crossover into greed.

- ecuacc4ever - 02-02-2007 11:30 AM

Dumb.
The only concern I can see the NFL having is the effect that mega-viewing parties have on their TV ratings. If you have, say, 1,000 folks viewing a party, what effect would that have on ratings -- and what effect would that have on how much the league can charge for ads.

- Terpy - 02-02-2007 11:59 AM

Ya know, I never thought about that, but that is a valid point.

- DrTorch - 02-02-2007 02:23 PM

MongoSlade Wrote:

Dumb.
The only concern I can see the NFL having is the effect that mega-viewing parties have on their TV ratings. If you have, say, 1,000 folks viewing a party, what effect would that have on ratings -- and what effect would that have on how much the league can charge for ads.

It depends on how the ratings are captured. Technically the ratings would not drop, if it's per capita viewing. If you are looking at the "shares" then it would go UP, because shares are percentage of TVs turned on. Fewer TVs turned on, means the SB has a higher percentage.

The big question is...can that be captured using todays methods. I guarantee that if these events have that dramatic of an effect on ratings, then the NFL would find some way to account for them.

- Terpy - 02-02-2007 03:01 PM

Or maybe, they cant and that is why they are trying to stop them.