CSNbbs
Can you say sore loser... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: Can you say sore loser... (/thread-310028.html)

Can you say sore loser... - jrhessey - 08-18-2008 01:23 PM

Another Sore Loser...

RE: Can you say sore loser... - PirateTreasureNC - 08-18-2008 02:24 PM

he brings up some good pics and all...but..... I mean... its was sooooooooooooo close....

RE: Can you say sore loser... - Jesterondirt - 08-18-2008 03:14 PM

definitly did his homework though.

RE: Can you say sore loser... - Terpy - 08-18-2008 03:48 PM

That kind of reminds me of the 911 conspiracy videos.

RE: Can you say sore loser... - Laettners Legacy - 08-18-2008 06:24 PM

so what? He didnt cheat, so unless the IOC strips him off the medal, USA!

RE: Can you say sore loser... - Terpy - 08-18-2008 07:16 PM

Also kinda funny how he completely omits the photo that shows Phelps touching the wall first in his 1100+ word rant.

I mean if you are going to go through the trouble at least do something to disprove the most concrete evidence that Phelps won.

RE: Can you say sore loser... - RiceDoc - 08-18-2008 07:17 PM

The problem with those photos is that the clearest of them shows Cavic in the lead but gliding to the end while Phelps is pushing hard to the end. Because Phelps small stroke at the end had his hands flying into the wall, they would certainly cover more distance in the same time as Cavic's gliding hands. Would the difference in hand speed at the end eat up that distance? I don't know, but the electronic timers say they did by 0.01 seconds!

The electronic timers are another issue - having used them in swimming races, I can attest that you have to hit them with some minimum velocity to get them to trip and stop the clock. Phelps hard stroke would stop the clock immediately; Cavic's gliding touch could delay the electronic timer from registerig by a couple hundredths of a second. Regardless, those timers are far more accurate and fair than handheld timers would be and both swimmers had to deal with the same issues.

I liken this to some of the track races we have all seen - the guy in the lead throws his hands up in celebration instead of running through the tape and suddenly the guy in second lunges past to win it at the tape. If Cavic gets a good hard kick while he is gliding, he wins it. Because he didn't go hard to the end (or at least it appeared to me that he didn't), he cost himself the victory.

Just my opinion, but I wanted to toss it out there for perspective.