CSNbbs
Article: WVU/UCF may be going to court - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+----- Thread: Article: WVU/UCF may be going to court (/thread-55097.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Jackson1011 - 01-20-2005 12:45 PM

-- I think we can safely trust that UCF will not get a vote from WVU or its allies (Pitt, UC) when it comes time to choose the 9th all sports member

Jackson

WVU, UCF may wind up in court over schedule
Mike Cherry
Daily Mail sportswriter

Thursday January 20, 2005

MORGANTOWN -- West Virginia University and Central Florida are having quite a football battle.

Off the field -- and possibly in court.

WVU's 11-game 2005 schedule apparently has a hole in it, according to UCF Athletic Director Steve Orsini. The Golden Knights do not plan on playing in Morgantown this upcoming season in a game that was the close of a three-game series between the non-conference foes.

WVU, however, does not plan on letting UCF slide away so easily.

"This morning is the first time we were informed they're not planning to come," WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong said Wednesday evening. "At this late date, we certainly will consider legal action."

Mountaineer Deputy Athletic Director Mike Parsons said UCF had contacted WVU in December and stated it was struggling with its 2005 schedule. Parsons added, however, that the Golden Knights never informed WVU that the 2005 game scheduled for Morgantown was one it was cutting.

Orsini declared UCF's intention in an Orlando Sentinel article this week. The teams played 2003 in Morgantown and last season in Orlando with WVU winning both by a combined 81-39.

UCF is coming off an 0-11 season in Coach George O'Leary's first season there. The Golden Knights are leaving the Mid-American Conference for Conference USA in 2005. UCF has just four home games in the upcoming season. It also abandoned, at least temporarily, a two-game series with North Carolina State for 2005 and 2006.

The Golden Knights will play 2005 non-league games at South Carolina, Louisiana-Lafayette and South Florida in addition to eight Conference USA games.

Orsini said UCF will try to find WVU another opponent or pay the contract's $50,000 buyout fee.

WVU is still not so sure the Golden Knights will not be in Morgantown -- or at least better compensate the Mountaineers.

"Hopefully, we can work it out," Pastilong said. "Thus far, they have not found an opponent. Our loss is considerably more than $50,000. ... We've informed them we're strongly considering suing them."

The light buyout figure is in part because the contract was signed in 1993. The original appeal of playing at least one game in Orlando was in part because then-Mountaineer assistant Doc Holliday was successful in Florida recruiting, Parsons said.

WVU's 2005 non-conference schedule also includes home games with Virginia Tech and East Carolina, plus a road game with Maryland. The Big East Conference has not announced its seven-games-per-team schedule for 2005. WVU is uncertain if it will receive three or four home league games.

- TopCoog - 01-20-2005 12:52 PM

Jackson, Doesn't look like they figuered they were going to get it anyway, does it.
Guess you will just have to add to your 1001 unfounded expansion theories.

- The Knight Time - 01-20-2005 12:54 PM

Uh, they can sue.......and they'll get 50,000.........which is in the BUYOUT FEE.

This is ridiculous. If it wasn't WVU, it'd either be USF or ULL or South Carolina. THe fact is that we had 5 OOC games and 2 had to be dropped. There was NO WAY to do that without first finding out about conference scheduling.

It appears WVU, and Jackson in particular, is trying to make this a bigger fight than it really is.

- UofMemphis - 01-20-2005 01:14 PM

Tennessee did it to us last season...we didn't sue them.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

- Jackson1011 - 01-20-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:This is ridiculous. If it wasn't WVU, it'd either be USF or ULL or South Carolina. THe fact is that we had 5 OOC games and 2 had to be dropped. There was NO WAY to do that without first finding out about conference scheduling.

-- Again Knight Time...UCF has known for over a year that they were going to CUSA...from the minute they accepted membership into the new league they should have known that there was going to be scheduling problems in 2005....I wouldn't have cared if UCF would have given the WVU AD any kind of warning....At the very least its seems that UCF has breached the rules of common courtsey when it comes to scheduling etc....

Jackson

- The Knight Time - 01-20-2005 02:34 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:This is ridiculous. If it wasn't WVU, it'd either be USF or ULL or South Carolina. THe fact is that we had 5 OOC games and 2 had to be dropped. There was NO WAY to do that without first finding out about conference scheduling.

-- Again Knight Time...UCF has known for over a year that they were going to CUSA...from the minute they accepted membership into the new league they should have known that there was going to be scheduling problems in 2005....I wouldn't have cared if UCF would have given the WVU AD any kind of warning....At the very least its seems that UCF has breached the rules of common courtsey when it comes to scheduling etc....

Jackson
We just found out about CUSA scheduling RECENTLY.

That's what we were waiting on- to see what scheduled games we could keep. WVU wans't one of them.

- Jackson1011 - 01-20-2005 02:54 PM

Quote:We just found out about CUSA scheduling RECENTLY

-- I'm not sure what you guys needed to find out...12 team conference is going to have 8 league games just like the SEC or Big 12....it should have been obvious for at least a year that you overscheduled

Jackson

- WacoBearcat - 01-20-2005 03:25 PM

Yep,

This could come back to bite UCF in a big way when the Big East expands.

- AlEast - 01-20-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:-- I'm not sure what you guys needed to find out...12 team conference is going to have 8 league games just like the SEC or Big 12....it should have been obvious for at least a year that you overscheduled

You are not really that stupid are you? You need to find your schedule to determine what games need to be moved around. What if they notified WVU earlier, which they did, of scheduling issues? What do they do change the dates even though they don't know what dates they are getting from their conference? No matter what someone was going to be hurt due to recent move. UCF is not like other schools that moved around during conference reshuffling. They were Indy not to long ago and had to schedule 11 GAMES. It is MUCH easier for all these other teams that had their conference games as the majority of games on their schedule.

It sucks. UCF is not stupid, they know that this could affect them in the future. I'm sure they have tried everything to not piss off such an important voice in the Big East. But given the reason above it would not have made sense to move teams you don't know you are not going to be able to fit in.

- Ty-Bull - 01-20-2005 04:12 PM

UCF just kissed any future possibility of a Big East invite goodbye. They have burned a bridge to a school that will be voting on any possible schools inclusion into the Big East Conference. Makes no sense. UCF should have cancelled USC or UL-Lafayette. ULL who cares anyway? I just think that Orsini has steped in it!

:stupid:

- AlEast - 01-20-2005 04:14 PM

Ty-Bull

You make these recommendations as if it was a possible alternative. Did you bother to check what dates those games were? Did you check to see if WV had an open date then? It sucks but sometimes during conference reshuffling teams get screwed with scheduling.

All I'm saying is that this could have been the only alternative.

- Jackson1011 - 01-20-2005 04:20 PM

Quote:You need to find your schedule to determine what games need to be moved around. What if they notified WVU earlier, which they did, of scheduling issues? What do they do change the dates even though they don't know what dates they are getting from their conference? No matter what someone was going to be hurt due to recent move. UCF is not like other schools that moved around during conference reshuffling. They were Indy not to long ago and had to schedule 11 GAMES. It is MUCH easier for all these other teams that had their conference games as the majority of games on their schedule.

-- To my knowledge a date for the WVU/UCF game was never established...so once UCFs 8 conference games are dated you do the non conference stuff...correct?.....the problem seems to be that UCF oversheduled with its non conference slate....I just find it hard to imagine that UCF realized two days ago that they had 13 games scheduled for an 11 game season

-- I'm not sure where you are getting that y'all notified WVU earlier stuff...our AD said he found this morning that UCF wasn't coming...basically UCF screwed WVU on this...but with that being said I doubt the Moutaineers will actually do anything about it...I'd be very suprised if anything ended up in the courts over this

Quote:UCF is not stupid, they know that this could affect them in the future. I'm sure they have tried everything to not piss off such an important voice in the Big East

-- Enjoy CUSA :wave:

- AlEast - 01-20-2005 04:34 PM

Just recently WV was notified, but they were notified a month ago that there were issues. We didn't have a schedule yet from conference UCF. So nothing could be determined until then. I hope you realize that as an indy that UCF had to schedule 11 games.

Honestly what would you have done? Lets here your scenario taking into consideration UCF was overscheduled due to it being indy and the fact that it just now got it's CUSA schedule. Which school do you let know that you can not play due to these conflicts?

- AlEast - 01-20-2005 04:37 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:You need to find your schedule to determine what games need to be moved around. What if they notified WVU earlier, which they did, of scheduling issues? What do they do change the dates even though they don't know what dates they are getting from their conference? No matter what someone was going to be hurt due to recent move. UCF is not like other schools that moved around during conference reshuffling. They were Indy not to long ago and had to schedule 11 GAMES. It is MUCH easier for all these other teams that had their conference games as the majority of games on their schedule.

-- To my knowledge a date for the WVU/UCF game was never established...so once UCFs 8 conference games are dated you do the non conference stuff...correct?.....the problem seems to be that UCF oversheduled with its non conference slate....I just find it hard to imagine that UCF realized two days ago that they had 13 games scheduled for an 11 game season

-- I'm not sure where you are getting that y'all notified WVU earlier stuff...our AD said he found this morning that UCF wasn't coming...basically UCF screwed WVU on this...but with that being said I doubt the Moutaineers will actually do anything about it...I'd be very suprised if anything ended up in the courts over this

Quote:UCF is not stupid, they know that this could affect them in the future. I'm sure they have tried everything to not piss off such an important voice in the Big East

-- Enjoy CUSA :wave:
I see your point now. About UCF knowing this was going to happen a while back. I am changing my tune, so don't jump on me too hard. UCF should have notified sooner, but if a replacement is found I see no reason to be upset if I'm WV. That was part of the deal.

- Jackson1011 - 01-20-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:Honestly what would you have done? Lets here your scenario taking into consideration UCF was overscheduled due to it being indy and the fact that it just now got it's CUSA schedule. Which school do you let know that you can not play due to these conflicts?

-- As Ty Bull suggest...I would say ULL....If UCF wanted to be with the BE football schools at a future date I would have said drop anyone but WVU...Boston College had a similar situation the past year when they wanted a buy out of there return trip to Wake Forest but thought it might not be wise to offend a school who is in there new conference

Jackson

- GreenBison - 01-20-2005 04:42 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:Honestly what would you have done? Lets here your scenario taking into consideration UCF was overscheduled due to it being indy and the fact that it just now got it's CUSA schedule. Which school do you let know that you can not play due to these conflicts?

-- As Ty Bull suggest...I would say ULL....If UCF wanted to be with the BE football schools at a future date I would have said drop anyone but WVU...Boston College had a similar situation the past year when they wanted a buy out of there return trip to Wake Forest but thought it might not be wise to offend a school who is in there new conference

Jackson
Who out there has an open date? Surely UCF can find a good replacement for you all. I wouldn't get too worked up over it, ****** happens sometimes.

- GreenBison - 01-20-2005 04:44 PM

I just visited NationalChamps.net and the first team I clicked on has an open date > NC State

- wvucrazed - 01-20-2005 06:04 PM

Ed Pastilong is a very reasonable guy, and does not like to have piss battles in the press... You can be assured that what UCF did REALLY irked him and the WVU administration for him to make such comments.

It probably boiled down to this: the game was set in 1993, and that was probably the cheapest "buyout" clause of any team UCF had on the schedule. Pure and simple. They wanted out for a mere 50k, and that's why they chose WVU.

WVU will not forget this, you can be certain. Especially considering the great relationship WVU has always had with ECU.

- Cat's_Claw - 01-20-2005 06:45 PM

Central Florida already had trouble getting support to join the Big East last time. Damn, this is going to hurt them for years to come.

- The Knight Time - 01-20-2005 07:03 PM

Cat's_Claw Wrote:Central Florida already had trouble getting support to join the Big East last time. Damn, this is going to hurt them for years to come.
Yea, I'm sure 4-5 years from now this is going to be a real huge issue.

:rolleyes: