CSNbbs
OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out (/thread-573247.html)

OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - 4x4hokies - 06-05-2012 07:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59696/change-the-game-disqualify-this

I found this pretty interesting. Arguing that the foul out and fear of fouling out is influencing games too much. I like the idea of foul shots and the ball after a certain amount. I really hate games that turn into foul contests at the end. It sucks a lot of the energy out of a close game.

RE: OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - Wolfman - 06-05-2012 08:43 PM

If you do away with the foul out wouldn't the game deteriorate into a free throw contest?

I do like the foul shots plus the ball in say, the last 4 minutes of the game.

RE: OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - ClairtonPanther - 06-05-2012 08:48 PM

I agree with Wolfman. If you want to get rid of the game being extended make the foul out rule at 3 fouls or something. This rule change is very counter productive.

RE: OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - 4x4hokies - 06-05-2012 10:19 PM

(06-05-2012 08:48 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I agree with Wolfman. If you want to get rid of the game being extended make the foul out rule at 3 fouls or something. This rule change is very counter productive.

That wasn't the main point behind doing away with the foul out. It was to keep the game interesting and not have exciting games ruined by major players on the bench through long stretches. It would be trying to find a way to punish the infraction but let the players play without worry of being kicked out.

In football you don't get kicked out for personal fouls. You do screw your team at 15 yards each though. I could get behind escalating penalties for fouls and no foul outs.

RE: OT: Opinion piece about doing away with the foul out - Wolfman - 06-06-2012 04:00 PM

Teams foul at the end of the game for 2 reasons. 1 - to get the ball back quicker (by the play clock). 2 - Foul shots have a lower scoring percentage because you only get 1 point per basket. With no risk of fouling out even the team that is ahead would resort to fouling to eliminate the risk of a 3-point shot and to make it harder for the other team to catch up.

I would rather they not give the ball back to the fouling team. I would also like to see a rule that if you are fouled in the act of shooting you get the basket.

Eliminating the foul out won't speed up the game. You would still have your stars in the game but they would all have 20 fouls.

A football player would have been kicked out long before he got to 5 personal fouls. At least I hope he would.