CSNbbs
OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: Verbal Assault Area (/forum-728.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? (/thread-577577.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - TampaKnight - 07-11-2012 04:09 PM

All these millions of dollars that State College has collected sounds to me like a buffer being built to lessen the blow to their endowment and to hire lawyers to drag this issue out in court for generations.

I don't see an end to this. But doesn't anyone know at least one of the donors responsible for keeping this rotten ship called Penn State football afloat?

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - Ned Low - 07-11-2012 04:39 PM

The NCAA really needs to get involved in this... it's rotten to the core and "yes", it's apparent that this was indeed a "loss of institutional control" to a FAR greater degree than that of USC, UNC, etc etc etc. This makes the SMU debacle of the 80's pale in comparison.

BTW, I should note that at least the SMU administration had the good sense to shut down their program for a period of time.

Really, who would let there kid play for Penn State after everything that has come out?

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - ndlutz - 07-11-2012 04:47 PM

I know a lot of them, actually. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to - they get donations because they have a ton of alumni and a ton of other people who love their football program. I'd be the first to admit that they have cult-like tendencies in their program/Paterno worship but I'm not sure what you're alluding to.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - bitcruncher - 07-11-2012 04:55 PM

There's a faction, and rightly so, that wants to slam Penn State extremely hard. They include the folks talking about the "Death Penalty" for Penn State. Child molestation is a very touchy subject with parents, and there's a large percentage of people who want to make sure this can never happen in Happy Valley again. The easiest way to do that is to eliminate the source of the trouble, which to them is the football program...

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - 4x4hokies - 07-11-2012 05:00 PM

I think the toughest penalty ever handed out should be given to Penn State.

Paying kids to play pales in comparison to allowing child rape to continue just to keep the football program on top.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - TampaKnight - 07-11-2012 05:18 PM

(07-11-2012 04:47 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  I know a lot of them, actually. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to - they get donations because they have a ton of alumni and a ton of other people who love their football program. I'd be the first to admit that they have cult-like tendencies in their program/Paterno worship but I'm not sure what you're alluding to.

Second highest donations in a single year in the history of Penn State. That's why I said what I said. Very telling of why the donations are that big.

2010 was the highest. A private donor gave around $80 million for Penn State's hockey program to upgrade it and its facilities to Division I play.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - jaredf29 - 07-11-2012 06:03 PM

Shame.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - bronconick - 07-11-2012 07:04 PM

Second highest year ever behind the previous year.

What's the "year" involved here? If it's a calender year, the Sandusky thing hit in mid-November, meaning limited influence on the yearly donations. If it's a school (July-June) year, then yes, it's odd/disturbing.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - 4x4hokies - 07-11-2012 07:18 PM

The guy that donated 80 million donated another 30? million recently. Was that included?

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - IceJus10 - 07-11-2012 08:05 PM

a lot of my family and friends back home in Upstate NY are either SU or PSU alumni and they ALL contribute!

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - KevinSmith - 07-11-2012 09:51 PM

(07-11-2012 08:05 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  a lot of my family and friends back home in Upstate NY are either SU or PSU alumni and they ALL contribute!
akers
I am a Penn State guy since I was a kid watching John Cappeletti in 1973.
Sandusky is a monster; if he got the chair, I'd gladly flip the switch.
There may likely be more criminal charges for the decision makers.
JoePa is dead and his legacy in shreds. The Freeh Report tomorrow will be
devestating and rightly so. In my mind, a $20mm+ fund from the
endowment for victims of child abuse should follow shortly.

Death Penalty . . . Ah every Pittheads dream. But did any kid at
PSU now on the FB team or not or hundreds of thousands of alumni
like me actively know about the perfidy of Sandusky and the likely complicity
of Spanier, Schultz and JoePa. Of course not.

I root for the blue & white, my school, in good and bad and
even very, very, very bad. So thru all the vitriol (much well deserved )
I will stand by my school and help in the healing (yes even during
NCAA penalties).

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - 4x4hokies - 07-11-2012 10:28 PM

(07-11-2012 09:51 PM)KevinSmith Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 08:05 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  a lot of my family and friends back home in Upstate NY are either SU or PSU alumni and they ALL contribute!
akers
I am a Penn State guy since I was a kid watching John Cappeletti in 1973.
Sandusky is a monster; if he got the chair, I'd gladly flip the switch.
There may likely be more criminal charges for the decision makers.
JoePa is dead and his legacy in shreds. The Freeh Report tomorrow will be
devestating and rightly so. In my mind, a $20mm+ fund from the
endowment for victims of child abuse should follow shortly.

Death Penalty . . . Ah every Pittheads dream. But did any kid at
PSU now on the FB team or not or hundreds of thousands of alumni
like me actively know about the perfidy of Sandusky and the likely complicity
of Spanier, Schultz and JoePa. Of course not.

I root for the blue & white, my school, in good and bad and
even very, very, very bad. So thru all the vitriol (much well deserved )
I will stand by my school and help in the healing (yes even during
NCAA penalties).

It isn't like anyone left at Miami knew about the strippers and money either. The system we have is that you punish the program because you can't punish the individuals.

If Penn State knowingly tried to sweep this scandal under the rug for the benefit of their sports programs, then this warrants NCAA action in my opinion. The NCAA does punish unfair advantages gained. The crime in question here is much worse than paying kids to play football too.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - ndlutz - 07-11-2012 11:01 PM

(07-11-2012 05:18 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 04:47 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  I know a lot of them, actually. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to - they get donations because they have a ton of alumni and a ton of other people who love their football program. I'd be the first to admit that they have cult-like tendencies in their program/Paterno worship but I'm not sure what you're alluding to.

Second highest donations in a single year in the history of Penn State. That's why I said what I said. Very telling of why the donations are that big.

2010 was the highest. A private donor gave around $80 million for Penn State's hockey program to upgrade it and its facilities to Division I play.

I'm just not sure you can make the connection to the scandal and the money. I'm not saying that you can't, either - just that I can see other explanations for the increase in donations and so I'm really not sure.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - TampaKnight - 07-11-2012 11:46 PM

(07-11-2012 11:01 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 05:18 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  

I'm just not sure you can make the connection to the scandal and the money. I'm not saying that you can't, either - just that I can see other explanations for the increase in donations and so I'm really not sure.

Absolutely. I think a lot of light will be shed tomorrow, definitely.

Not saying my explanation is the be-all end-all of explanations, although I do feel strongly about this. Never throw rationality into the wind, that's always something to keep with you.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - ClairtonPanther - 07-12-2012 12:13 AM

I tend to think this entire thing(Freeh Report) is predictable as hell. Its to make JoePa look bad and the University look good as humanly possible. Its an internal investigation led by an ex FBI head. Not saying that JoePa is supposed to look like a Saint, and the university is a big demon either. I think everyone involved in the cover up should rot in hell.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - goodknightfl - 07-12-2012 06:08 AM

(07-11-2012 04:39 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Really, who would let there kid play for Penn State after everything that has come out?

Well their class has 7, 4* players with verbals, so I wouldn't say they are struggling.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - bitcruncher - 07-12-2012 07:43 AM

(07-12-2012 12:13 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I tend to think this entire thing(Freeh Report) is predictable as hell. Its to make JoePa look bad and the University look good as humanly possible. Its an internal investigation led by an ex FBI head. Not saying that JoePa is supposed to look like a Saint, and the university is a big demon either. I think everyone involved in the cover up should rot in hell.
I tend to agree with you. IMO the Freeh Report will throw JoePa under the bus, since he's dead and can't defend himself, to minimize the damage to the university and the remaining defendants in the case...

The fact that the investigation is lead by a former FBI Director gives the investigation that air of legitimacy. But the fact that he was a high government official also makes him very aware of - and susceptible to - political influences, and there's nowhere political influence is greater than a major state supported university...

I've worked at 2 universities, and for multiple government agencies. Frankly, I'd rather deal with politics in a government job than I would at any university...

Once this investigation concludes, and the report is released, I'll bet there's going to be that percentage of the public that will wonder if this was a real investigation, or a whitewash covering the real truth. IMO that could be a very good question...

Deadspin article on how Penn State "cultists" got that way - TerryD - 07-12-2012 07:54 AM

It was written anonymously by a Penn State graduate, season ticket holder and current employee:

http://deadspin.com/5925143/joe-paternos-defenders-arent-crazy-just-blind-heres-how-they-got-that-way

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - TIGER-PAUL - 07-12-2012 08:06 AM

The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation
of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky
had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office just
steps away from Mr. Paterno's.

RE: OT: Does anyone here actually KNOW a Penn State (frequent) donor? - Hokie4Skins - 07-12-2012 08:13 AM

I just think it's too easy to point to the 80-something sitting in front of his VCR watching game tape in a 30-year-old sweater and saying "It's all his fault." A university president and two vice presidents knew too. A massive charity with millions of dollars coming in knew.

Laying this all on the football program seems too convenient for me.

You could actually convince me that the university itself needs to be shuttered. You could convince me that the university needs to shut down the football program. You can convince me that Penn State should not be allowed to receive federal financial aid for a year. I just hate the idea of the NCAA getting involved in yet another area where it has no jurisdiction.

Seriously, explain to me what the NCAA could find that the State Police, FBI, Attorney General, DOJ, Department of Education, local prosecutors, and civil attorneys could not turn up.

(It's not the same thing in scale, but remember when Roger Goodell decided that he could suspend players for off-the-field incidents that did not lead to arrest let alone prosecution? I said he should not be allowed to do that. A few years later, he is arbitrarily taking away cap space, suspending coaches for bounty programs without revealing evidence, suspending players for legal hits, etc. You don't give power to groups that don't deserve power simply because you are pissed off. The NCAA is not Child Protective Services).