CSNbbs
"Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel (/thread-621367.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

"Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - TIGERCITY - 03-01-2013 11:00 AM

First small piece of good news in a while >>>

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - stever20 - 03-01-2013 11:03 AM

to me, isn't that kind of a no-brainer? Couldn't imagine a long term thing in Hartford at all. Almost like where else?

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - pharaoh0 - 03-01-2013 11:04 AM

(03-01-2013 11:00 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  First small piece of good news in a while >>>

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel

That's logical...they have a pro arena.

But I would expect Cincy, UConn, or USF to probably make a play too...especially since Cincy is supposed to be renovating 5/3rd.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - RedRocker - 03-01-2013 11:09 AM

There's no reason it can't be rotated between the schools that are located in a metro area and have a larger arena or access to one (Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Cincinnati, Hartford, Philadelphia, Memphis, Dallas, Houston).

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - stever20 - 03-01-2013 11:11 AM

(03-01-2013 11:09 AM)RedRocker Wrote:  There's no reason it can't be rotated between the schools that are located in a metro area and have a larger arena or access to one (Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Cincinnati, Hartford, Philadelphia, Memphis, Dallas, Houston).

I personally think it helps to have it always in the same place- kind like the old days Big 8 always in KC, SWC in Dallas, BE in NYC, etc.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - BullsFanInTX - 03-01-2013 11:11 AM

Somewhere like the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa would also be good. Everyone likes to go to Florida in march.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - bearcatfan - 03-01-2013 11:16 AM

I think it makes sense to rotate it - it could help build interest for the conference.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - oldtiger - 03-01-2013 11:16 AM

I'd think that guaranteed income to the conference would enter into the equation regarding who hosts the tournament. I think that it is normal practice for most conferences that don't have a permanent home to have a "bid" process. I do, however agree with a rotation.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - pharaoh0 - 03-01-2013 11:18 AM

(03-01-2013 11:11 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Somewhere like the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa would also be good. Everyone likes to go to Florida in march.

Great area....bad arena for basketball....but, I would expect it to be in play.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - RedRocker - 03-01-2013 11:20 AM

(03-01-2013 11:11 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Somewhere like the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa would also be good. Everyone likes to go to Florida in march.

Sounds good to me. TBT Forum in Tampa or Amway Arena in Orlando works.

(03-01-2013 11:16 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I think it makes sense to rotate it - it could help build interest for the conference.

Agreed. I've never been to the BE Tourney in NYC, but have been to tourneys in Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - stever20 - 03-01-2013 11:21 AM

(03-01-2013 11:18 AM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  

[half sarcastic] what about Disney?[/half sarcastic]
(ducking for the stuff coming my way)

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - apex_pirate - 03-01-2013 11:23 AM

(03-01-2013 11:16 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I think it makes sense to rotate it - it could help build interest for the conference.

But terrible for ticket sales. I think Memphis and Cincy are about the only two...maybe Philly, where you could sell a lot of local tickets.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - mwp1023 - 03-01-2013 11:25 AM

I would rotate between Memphis, Philly(Temple), Uconn, and Cinci. Bottom line is that they are our premier schools and in premier locations to host the tournament. It would be stupid to have it in Texas, Florida, or even NC.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - Bull - 03-01-2013 11:30 AM

Memphis is our best bet, basketball crazy town, totally fun destination, pro arena.

Or possibly rotate and include NO and Orlando. Maybe occasionally Tampa. These have the benefit of great March weather, I'd hope lots of folks might make the trip to Florida in the winter.

At least this is one area where we can't lose!

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - pharaoh0 - 03-01-2013 11:31 AM

(03-01-2013 11:21 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

I've always thought Orlando would be a great city to host a Tourney...but, wouldn't this quite the trip for most people in the conference.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - stever20 - 03-01-2013 11:33 AM

(03-01-2013 11:31 AM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  

I've always thought Orlando would be a great city to host a Tourney...but, wouldn't this quite the trip for most people in the conference.

I've actually coached games for youth basketball at Disney. It's a great facility. and they do have experience with tournaments(early season Old Spice Classic)

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - pharaoh0 - 03-01-2013 11:34 AM

I would also avoid states that have BCS conference tourneys. You want to be the big dog tourney in the state and get all of the coverage.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - oldtiger - 03-01-2013 11:43 AM

Agree with all of the potential locations that have been most mentioned.

It is important that each location is capable of selling enough tickets to return sufficient funds to the conference to make it worthwhile. In previous conferences Cincy and Memphis have demonstrated that ability when the home team is doing well.

Perhaps I've missed a couple, but I'm not sure some of the other mentioned locations have proven track records. That's not to say that they shouldn't be considered, but there does need to be some tangible evidence that people will buy a reasonable amount of tickets.

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - TigerSeth - 03-01-2013 11:45 AM

Memphis, cincy or Philly

I don't think anything else should be considered

RE: "Expect Memphis as the frontrunner location for 'BE' tournament" Thamel - Bull - 03-01-2013 11:46 AM

(03-01-2013 11:33 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 11:31 AM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  

I've actually coached games for youth basketball at Disney. It's a great facility. and they do have experience with tournaments(early season Old Spice Classic)

Are you all talking about the Wide World of Sports? That was brought up a couple of months ago. Very interesting idea. Depends on what we expect. If we really expect to draw big, we have to be in the pro arena. But WWOS, although too small, would be a fun place to have some games... Disney and catch some games, not too shabby. We'd be ridiculed for being in such a small venue though.