CSNbbs
Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship (/thread-636952.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - 10miners - 06-17-2013 01:04 PM

even though UTEP doesnt have a baseball team?

Alot of yall might think its a bad idea because El Paso wouldnt support it. But El Paso is a baseball town and the weather is perfect out here. IT might be a little hot but its okay.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - shiftyeagle - 06-17-2013 01:07 PM

No offense, but El Paso is so far removed from any CUSA baseball program coupled with the fact that UTEP doesn't field a team.....no way.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - Matrix - 06-17-2013 01:07 PM

(06-17-2013 01:04 PM)10miners Wrote:  even though UTEP doesnt have a baseball team?

Alot of yall might think its a bad idea because El Paso wouldnt support it. But El Paso is a baseball town and the weather is perfect out here. IT might be a little hot but its okay.

Now that you mentioned it, the thought didn't cross my mind until now, I'd completely forgotten that UTEP doesn't have a baseball team yet with the advantages you just mentioned here, you'd think that a team would have been created by now...I'd often wondered about that, and the fact that as far as I know, UTEP has a hockey team, right?

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - 10miners - 06-17-2013 01:12 PM

(06-17-2013 01:07 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(06-17-2013 01:04 PM)10miners Wrote:  even though UTEP doesnt have a baseball team?

Now that you mentioned it, the thought didn't cross my mind until now, I'd completely forgotten that UTEP doesn't have a baseball team yet with the advantages you just mentioned here, you'd think that a team would have been created by now...I'd often wondered about that, and the fact that as far as I know, UTEP has a hockey team, right?

north texas doesnt have a baseball team either. What if they wanted to host one? Tell you the truth i wouldnt be shocked if UTEP or the city of El Paso placed a bid for a baseball tourney.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - Matrix - 06-17-2013 01:18 PM

For the record, I have no problem with El Paso hosting a baseball tournament, as much as I enjoy traveling, it would be a wonderful first time experience for me, I've never been to El Paso before, if all goes well, in November, I hope to have my first ever San Antonio experience when the Blazers take on the RoadRunners in football. I've been to Dallas/Fort Worth/Irving, Houston and Amarillo as part of my "Texas Travels" thus far, enjoyed every encounter. I'm confident that El Paso will not be an exception to the rule. Go for it if you can get it...

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - ECUGrad07 - 06-17-2013 01:22 PM

What would the venue be? And would the El Paso locals show up to watch a bunch of teams that aren't theirs?

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - FAUAEPi - 06-17-2013 01:23 PM

(06-17-2013 01:12 PM)10miners Wrote:  

north texas doesnt have a baseball team either. What if they wanted to host one? Tell you the truth i wouldnt be shocked if UTEP or the city of El Paso placed a bid for a baseball tourney.

FWIW, UNT is building a ballpark next to Apogee Stadium, and will be fielding a team soon. That being said, the only city in Texas that should host the tournament is Houston, not Denton or El Paso. The location should be centrally located, Birmingham, Biloxi, New Orleans, Atlanta, or Nashville. If any out-liner location in the footprint has a shot, it should be South Florida, though I don't think South Flroida should get it.

I've heard great things about El Paso. If y'all have a good stadium, then put in bid in. I'm sure the city would want to prove to the rest of the conference that they love their baseball.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - 10miners - 06-17-2013 01:26 PM

(06-17-2013 01:18 PM)Matrix Wrote:  For the record, I have no problem with El Paso hosting a baseball tournament, as much as I enjoy traveling, it would be a wonderful first time experience for me, I've never been to El Paso before, if all goes well, in November, I hope to have my first ever San Antonio experience when the Blazers take on the RoadRunners in football. I've been to Dallas/Fort Worth/Irving, Houston and Amarillo as part of my "Texas Travels" thus far, enjoyed every encounter. I'm confident that El Paso will not be an exception to the rule. Go for it if you can get it...

san antonio would also be a good host for it. But i was looking at Rice's baseball stadium and they only seat 5,368. They had the championships there. The new baseball stadium that El Paso is getting is gonna seat around 9,000. El Paso should easliy get atleast 6,000 for the tourny and what ever other fans come from other teams.. El Paso is also very close to Californa and arizona. It would get alum from the eastern schools to get a chance to see their school. Just something else to think about.

actually i dont think UTEP would get it, I was just thinking of it in my head.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - 10miners - 06-17-2013 01:33 PM

(06-17-2013 01:22 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  What would the venue be? And would the El Paso locals show up to watch a bunch of teams that aren't theirs?

el paso is a getting a new downtown baseball stadium and a triple A-team.

http://www.kvia.com/news/Special-Report-A-look-at-El-Paso-s-ballpark/-/391068/18376910/-/bymgfi/-/index.html

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - Freshy - 06-17-2013 02:07 PM

(06-17-2013 01:26 PM)10miners Wrote:  
(06-17-2013 01:18 PM)Matrix Wrote:  For the record, I have no problem with El Paso hosting a baseball tournament, as much as I enjoy traveling, it would be a wonderful first time experience for me, I've never been to El Paso before, if all goes well, in November, I hope to have my first ever San Antonio experience when the Blazers take on the RoadRunners in football. I've been to Dallas/Fort Worth/Irving, Houston and Amarillo as part of my "Texas Travels" thus far, enjoyed every encounter. I'm confident that El Paso will not be an exception to the rule. Go for it if you can get it...

san antonio would also be a good host for it. But i was looking at Rice's baseball stadium and they only seat 5,368. They had the championships there. The new baseball stadium that El Paso is getting is gonna seat around 9,000. El Paso should easliy get atleast 6,000 for the tourny and what ever other fans come from other teams.. El Paso is also very close to Californa and arizona. It would get alum from the eastern schools to get a chance to see their school. Just something else to think about.

actually i dont think UTEP would get it, I was just thinking of it in my head.

Trustmark Park in Pearl hosted the tournament in back to years in 2011 and 2012. Given how people love college baseball in Mississippi, the tournament should have been an easy and successful venture. Pearl is near Jackson, and close to a good regional airport with service to nearly every town in CUSA. There are plenty of cheap, nice hotel rooms in Jackson, as well as things to do with the wife and kids. It should have been a home run. Yet, attendance for a Friday night game between Rice and Southern Miss only yielded 2600 in attendance. The tournament didn't lose money AFAIK, but it wasn't the runaway success it was expected to be either. I strongly believe that experience will lead to the conference preferring on-campus sites at schools with teams in the near future. I think this is a good strategy because CUSA is expanding from nine to twelve teams in baseball and will have some solid programs moving into the conference. It is an opportunity for many of the adds to make a quick impact in their new conference, so I expect to see some real enthusiasm these next few years as well as a successful bid to host from one of them. All of these factors are going to hurt El Paso's chances. The fact that Biloxi, Birmingham, and Charlotte also have or are getting new minor league parks themselves won't help.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - GrayBeard - 06-17-2013 02:10 PM

(06-17-2013 01:07 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  No offense, but El Paso is so far removed from any CUSA baseball program coupled with the fact that UTEP doesn't field a team.....no way.

This I agree with.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - randaddyminer - 06-17-2013 02:12 PM

How well do cusa schools travel for baseball?

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - GrayBeard - 06-17-2013 02:14 PM

(06-17-2013 02:12 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  How well do cusa schools travel for baseball?

Some travel well locally, and for tournaments, but other than that, I wouldn't expect much. Of course, the home team typically has the largest fan support at the tournaments, and in the even to El Paso hosting it, you would not have the needed local support.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - shiftyeagle - 06-17-2013 02:47 PM

(06-17-2013 02:12 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  How well do cusa schools travel for baseball?

I mean I'd travel, but not crazy far.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - randaddyminer - 06-17-2013 03:03 PM

(06-17-2013 02:14 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

Some travel well locally, and for tournaments, but other than that, I wouldn't expect much. Of course, the home team typically has the largest fan support at the tournaments, and in the even to El Paso hosting it, you would not have the needed local support.

I wasn't talking about El Paso hosting. I don't think that would fly with the rest of the conference. I was just wondering how big baseball was with other schools, what their attendance looks like? Rumors are that UTEP might add a sport or two, so I was just wondering how baseball does in this conference

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - GrayBeard - 06-17-2013 03:06 PM

(06-17-2013 03:03 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(06-17-2013 02:14 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

I wasn't talking about El Paso hosting. I don't think that would fly with the rest of the conference. I was just wondering how big baseball was with other schools, what their attendance looks like? Rumors are that UTEP might add a sport or two, so I was just wondering how baseball does in this conference

El Paso hosting is what this thread is about, so I guess you can understand why I thought that is what you were referring too.

By the way, until this year, baseball has been huge in this conference. You should add it.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 06-17-2013 03:10 PM

I would. Ya'll aren't in the habit of hiring stupid people are you? Well, it would take a real dummy to go to the expense of trying to host a college baseball tournament and not even have a baseball team. That one would go from fax machine to trash can.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - randaddyminer - 06-17-2013 03:19 PM

my bad, just the cusa/El Paso/baseball topic triggered the memory about UTEP possibly adding sports, so I just blurted out something that was on my mind, got ahead of myself there. What is the average attendance for baseball in Cusa? and how much would you guys say is the average ticket?

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 06-17-2013 03:22 PM

(06-17-2013 03:06 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  By the way, until this year, baseball has been huge in this conference. You should add it.

I'd say baseball is still huge in C-USA. Traditional power teams this season ALL tanked with the exception of Rice....it's still quite a good baseball conference however.

You gotta use something and RPI is it....but I'd say 5 C-USA teams were as good as any team in the tournament outside of about the top 20 teams. I'd also say that those 5 teams could beat any if not all of those top 20 teams at a respectable clip over a 7-10 game series.

MOST importantly though, for C-USA this year, those 5 teams that were as good as anyone outside the top 20 also showed they can look like anybody inside the BOTTOM 20 way too many times over the course of the season. Being consistent was not too prevalent in C-USA baseball this year.

RE: Can El Paso host a C-USA Baseball Tourny championship - 10miners - 06-17-2013 03:22 PM

(06-17-2013 03:10 PM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  

I would. Ya'll aren't in the habit of hiring stupid people are you? Well, it would take a real dummy to go to the expense of trying to host a college baseball tournament and not even have a baseball team. That one would go from fax machine to trash can.

el paso hosted college football all star game and it drew well. a poster above just said a championship game drew like 2,000 fans. Without even trying i could see el paso drawing like at least 2k to 4k in the early round games and i could see more than 5k+ in championship game even without utep hosting a team. I think El paso should do it just to put the pressure on UTEP to put out a Baseball team. Thats why i was asking can a city place a bid even though UTEP doesnt have a team?