CSNbbs
"Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams (/thread-655188.html)

Pages: 1 2

"Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Matrix - 10-16-2013 01:58 PM

Ever since that thread about "best play by play announcers", I've been curious as to who is the "voice" of the Conference USA school you root for? And what is it that you enjoy the most & least about them?

At UAB, ours is David Crane.

Most enjoyable trait: His enthusiasm when something incredible happens for the Blazers. You can feel it in his voice, not too much, and not too little....Just right...Very consistent with that, I have to give him. Very approachable and communicable with fans.

Least: I'm alright with a bit of optimism, but at times, he comes across (to me, anyway) with a level of it that is almost unbelievable or hard to swallow, the legend before him, Gary Sanders, did not bite his tongue at all, and to me, that was refreshing. Just the same, glad he(Crane) does our games.

Thanks for joining the fray if you so choose.

"you can't create the future...by clinging to the past..." 11/2

...there's no such thing as an "ugly" win, or a "pretty" loss...

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - THUNDERStruck73 - 10-16-2013 02:22 PM

For the Herd, it's Steve Cotton. When WSAZ used to televise the games it was Keith Morehouse with Sonny Randle, but that was years ago.

Steve is very accurate with his play by play and is very descriptive. If one is listening, he paints a good picture of what is happening.

If I were to nitpick (and I am here), I would have to say that Steve's enthusiasm could be a little higher. Listening to the game winning field goal against FAU, it almost seemed to me that it really wasn't anything that great...

That being said, Steve is terrific and wouldn't change him for anyone else...except Marty Brennamen...04-bow04-bow04-bow

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - BleedsGreen33 - 10-16-2013 02:25 PM

(10-16-2013 02:22 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  For the Herd, it's Steve Cotton. When WSAZ used to televise the games it was Keith Morehouse with Sonny Randle, but that was years ago.

Steve is very accurate with his play by play and is very descriptive. If one is listening, he paints a good picture of what is happening.

If I were to nitpick (and I am here), I would have to say that Steve's enthusiasm could be a little higher. Listening to the game winning field goal against FAU, it almost seemed to me that is really wasn't anything that great...

That being said, Steve is terrific and wouldn't change him for anyone else...except Mary Brennamen...04-bow04-bow04-bow

Yea Steve routinely wins WV Sports Broadcaster of the Year. Not that idiot Toni Caridi from up north. I love listening to Steve. He is really active on twitter too with fielding questions for Doc and throwing out stats as the season goes along both current and historical. We are very lucky to have him.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - THUNDERStruck73 - 10-16-2013 02:31 PM

(10-16-2013 02:25 PM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  
(10-16-2013 02:22 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  For the Herd, it's Steve Cotton. When WSAZ used to televise the games it was Keith Morehouse with Sonny Randle, but that was years ago.

If I were to nitpick (and I am here), I would have to say that Steve's enthusiasm could be a little higher. Listening to the game winning field goal against FAU, it almost seemed to me that is really wasn't anything that great...

That being said, Steve is terrific and wouldn't change him for anyone else...except Mary Brennamen...04-bow04-bow04-bow

Yea Steve routinely wins WV Sports Broadcaster of the Year. Not that idiot Toni Caridi from up north. I love listening to Steve. He is really active on twitter too with fielding questions for Doc and throwing out stats as the season goes along both current and historical. We are very lucky to have him.

Don't forget Woody and Swann...They do a GREAT job with the daily call-in show...

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - techdawg88 - 10-16-2013 02:33 PM

Dave Nitz has been at Tech since 74

http://www.latechsports.com/genrel/nitz_dave00.html

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Maryland Monarch - 10-16-2013 02:40 PM

Ted Alexander is the voice of ODU basketball (fellow Monarchs, correct me if this has changed). Overall, he's pretty good, but he has two EXTREMELY annoying catch phrases:

1. "ODU has the ball and is headed toward the World's Largest Naval Base." Like anyone gives a crap...or can "see" that on the radio.

2. This one really chaps me..."Bazemore passes the spheroid to Carter!" or some such rot. "Spheroid"???? If I ever hear him call a basketball a "spheroid" again, I'll jam a spheroid up his cylinder!

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Matrix - 10-16-2013 07:40 PM

(10-16-2013 02:40 PM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  Ted Alexander is the voice of ODU basketball (fellow Monarchs, correct me if this has changed). Overall, he's pretty good, but he has two EXTREMELY annoying catch phrases:

1. "ODU has the ball and is headed toward the World's Largest Naval Base." Like anyone gives a crap...or can "see" that on the radio.

2. This one really chaps me..."Bazemore passes the spheroid to Carter!" or some such rot. "Spheroid"???? If I ever hear him call a basketball a "spheroid" again, I'll jam a spheroid up his cylinder!

03-lmfao

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - HogDawg - 10-16-2013 07:51 PM

(10-16-2013 02:33 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Dave Nitz has been at Tech since 74

Quote:His 38 years at LA Tech ranks in the top five in the country among active broadcasters with the same school.

This thread can end now. It just doesn't get any better than Dave Nitz. 04-rock

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Saint Greg - 10-16-2013 07:56 PM

(10-16-2013 07:51 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(10-16-2013 02:33 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Dave Nitz has been at Tech since 74

Quote:His 38 years at LA Tech ranks in the top five in the country among active broadcasters with the same school.

This thread can end now. It just doesn't get any better than Dave Nitz. 04-rock

Agreed. He's gotta be tough to beat. Been listening to him since I was a little kid.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Matrix - 10-16-2013 08:06 PM

Thank you all for your submissions, but the objective of the thread was to hopefully get a fan from every Conference USA school to tender the name of their "voice." I personally want to learn about and be made aware of them all.

So far, Old Dominion, UAB, Marshall, & Louisiana Tech have proudly chimed in on this. Hopefully, the rest will do the same at some point in time.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Fatalisk - 10-16-2013 08:09 PM

Ted Alexander is awful.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Ole Blue - 10-16-2013 08:09 PM

The voice of MT is probably Dick Palmer. He has called pretty much every sport and is now the lead commentator for our women's basketball team. He is a hall of fame announcer and knowledgeable about all things sports. A+, in every regard.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - BeagleUSM - 10-16-2013 08:10 PM

John Cox. USM fans debate about him very often.

Cox soundboard: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/beagleagle23

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - oldtiger - 10-16-2013 09:26 PM

(10-16-2013 08:09 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  The voice of MT is probably Dick Palmer. He has called pretty much every sport and is now the lead commentator for our women's basketball team. He is a hall of fame announcer and knowledgeable about all things sports. A+, in every regard.

A pure professional, a true gentleman, and one of my all time favorites.

I listened to Dick Palmer for decades of assorted professional teams in Memphis. I think that at some point in his career, he called every professional sport that we've had with the exception of soccer. He still does the broadcast of the state high school football championships on public TV.

Ole Blue, you've got a great one in Mr. Palmer.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - HerdZoned - 10-16-2013 09:38 PM

(10-16-2013 02:22 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  For the Herd, it's Steve Cotton.

I like the way Cotton calls the games. He doesn't do it as a homer. He does it objectable. And wins awards for doing so.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - ODUsmitty - 10-16-2013 10:03 PM

I'll take Alexander over the recently-departed "FatMan" of local radio. Tony Mercurio was lazy, rooted for JMU, and proudly wore a sweat moustache on the coldest of days. He singlehandedly has murdered hundreds of innocent toilet seats across the Hampton Roads area.

[Image: tony1_zpsbc96c1b1.jpg]

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - Whiteboard3 - 10-16-2013 10:19 PM

Matt Swierad is a boss. Dave Jageler used to be one of ours, but he's with the washington nationals now.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - DogsWin1 - 10-16-2013 10:40 PM

Listen to this entire clip. Dave Nitz is the MASTER of radio game broadcasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2EdJmHRPo&feature=youtu.be

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - MUther - 10-16-2013 11:25 PM

So is a pbp guy considered a journalist or an entertainer? I would think most broadcasters start in journalism school, but I wouldn't necessarily categorize them as that once they take on that specialty.

RE: "Voices" Of Your School's Sports Teams - stinkfist - 10-17-2013 06:17 AM

(10-16-2013 02:40 PM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  Ted Alexander is the voice of ODU basketball (fellow Monarchs, correct me if this has changed). Overall, he's pretty good, but he has two EXTREMELY annoying catch phrases:

now that is some funny shite....would wreck my vehicle if I heard that play-by-play come over the airwaves

btw OP, ours is John Cox, "voice of the golden eagles", or "pass....caught...TD...wait, check that, intercepted in the end zone" guy. He's a goof, but he's our goof.