CSNbbs
OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (/thread-737960.html)

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Nioh released!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-02-2017 11:04 AM

(03-02-2017 10:46 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for three years now and SMM and Smash for nearly 2 years, and I wasn't super interested in Splatoon after playing it a few times with my nephews. My mind looks at the purchase right now as two $210 games (Zelda and Odyseey), and I can't justify that at the moment...especially given the lack of announcements about other games and the fact that one of those games wouldn't be in my possession until the end of this year. I'll eventually buy it because BoTW is supposedly a benchmark game, but at this point it's not a necessity due to the fact that it would probably be sitting around gathering dust. I'm just waiting to see what other games come out...because if it has the support of the WiiU, I'll just find an alternative way to play BotW in a few years and save my money.

It's crazy, because I was a Nintendo guy through anf through for the better part of my life, my first system that I personally bought was an SNES, had an N64, a Gamecube, GB, Super GB, GB Color, GBA, and 3DS...but this last home console cycle really killed my interest. It will have to take a lot to bump it back up.

Well, get BotW on WiiU then... at least you can play and trade...

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Nioh released!) - BearcatMan - 03-02-2017 11:07 AM

(03-02-2017 11:04 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 10:46 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for three years now and SMM and Smash for nearly 2 years, and I wasn't super interested in Splatoon after playing it a few times with my nephews. My mind looks at the purchase right now as two $210 games (Zelda and Odyseey), and I can't justify that at the moment...especially given the lack of announcements about other games and the fact that one of those games wouldn't be in my possession until the end of this year. I'll eventually buy it because BoTW is supposedly a benchmark game, but at this point it's not a necessity due to the fact that it would probably be sitting around gathering dust. I'm just waiting to see what other games come out...because if it has the support of the WiiU, I'll just find an alternative way to play BotW in a few years and save my money.

It's crazy, because I was a Nintendo guy through anf through for the better part of my life, my first system that I personally bought was an SNES, had an N64, a Gamecube, GB, Super GB, GB Color, GBA, and 3DS...but this last home console cycle really killed my interest. It will have to take a lot to bump it back up.

I would...but I gave it to my older brother for his two young sons, I'd be a ****** uncle if I took it from them now 03-lmfao.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Nioh released!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-02-2017 11:36 AM

(03-02-2017 11:07 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 11:04 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I would...but I gave it to my older brother for his two young sons, I'd be a ****** uncle if I took it from them now 03-lmfao.

You'd get street cred from them in that you actually play games LOL.

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Nioh released!) - PurpleReigns - 03-03-2017 08:43 AM

I'm debating trying my luck at a Target but I has a cold :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-03-2017 10:49 AM

Picked it up without too much of a issue. Went to bed around 4am....

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - BearcatMan - 03-03-2017 01:25 PM

(03-03-2017 10:49 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Picked it up without too much of a issue. Went to bed around 4am....

So, first thoughts on the hardware (I know that BotW is good) and try to keep them impartial 03-lmfao

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-03-2017 03:57 PM

(03-03-2017 01:25 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 10:49 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Picked it up without too much of a issue. Went to bed around 4am....

So, first thoughts on the hardware (I know that BotW is good) and try to keep them impartial 03-lmfao

Physically speaking...

tablet is a good size for gaming on the go but not as portable as DS/3DS in terms of "pocket" size.

I am impressed at the visuals it was putting out on my 32" considering how big it is.

Controller wise, hmm ... The JC's joysticks have a good tactile feel and circle of movement. The buttons on them are small but fairly responsive and have a click sound to them so you know you hit something. BotW doesn't use the rumble so I can't really comment on that. The Switch Pro, which I played mostly with last night due to the fact I could charge and play at the same time, felt pretty solid in my hand and I did like having the larger buttons. IT feels slightly lighter than the WiiU Pro controller. It feels built well as well.

I am amazed at how sturdy the machine holds those JCs on the side... very tight with no wobble. They make it feel like one solid piece instead of 3 pieces.

I am going to be getting heavy into Bomberman tonight.

I'll post some set up pics later on... the ones I took earlier today looked like ass.

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PurpleReigns - 03-03-2017 05:20 PM

I walked into Best Buy as they opened and got one of the 4 consoles they had

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PurpleReigns - 03-03-2017 06:50 PM

Switch and Zelda BOTW thoughts!

Switch:

- The UI is clean, smooth, and self explanatory (vs say the 3DS with the multiple menus in multiple areas)
- I'm disappointed about the lack of downloadable themes as the home screen seems to be lacking some umph
- Console feels sturdy and as a single piece even though it's 3 pieces
- Only done handheld mode thus far (which will be my main method) but tabletop seems like it will break the kickstand with repeated use
- Screen is great and a great upgrade from the 3DS

Zelda BOTW:

- I've tried to play a 3DS Zelda game before and didn't really get into it, however with this 3rd person POV I'm getting into it more
- As for my initial reaction to the graphics, while they still aren't the best they are much better than what I initially thought during the announcement stream
- From there I have around 30 minutes to an hour of playing time thus far and it's a really good game and should be a nice partner with Pokémon Sun/Moon until Mario Kart 8 and Yooka Laylee releases in the next few months for the Switch.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-04-2017 12:42 AM

Well, where my Switch will mostly be played at
[Image: DSC03128.jpg]

Alt set up, that said, I was damned if I didn't use flash for it was too dark, then damned if did... took the lighter...

[Image: DSC03139.jpg]

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PirateTreasureNC - 03-04-2017 02:52 AM

This JC sync issue could be a thing... I was working out with the JC grip and Link kept wanting to crouch without me performing a kneeling action.... real weird.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - BearcatMan - 03-04-2017 11:15 AM

(03-04-2017 02:52 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

This JC sync issue could be a thing... I was working out with the JC grip and Link kept wanting to crouch without me performing a kneeling action.... real weird.

Yeah, I've been reading up on the tech side of things given that I'm an engineer and all, more specifically the signal framework they've used for syncing and it is worrisome. Nintendo has seemingly used the same Bluetooth signal pattern that all Samsung electronics use, so effectively if you have either a Samsung device or a device that using any Samsung internal components (standard iPhones, a majority of TV with Bluetooth capabilities, etc.) it could wreck havoc on the signal, because as they admitted, it isn't a strong signal. I mean, I've read that people who have their dock behind them and are trying to play are having issues with the controller's being completely disconnected. Ight be an easy fix, but it'll require some interesting coding work to get it patched because they can't just replace the hardware components.

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PurpleReigns - 03-04-2017 11:40 AM

(03-04-2017 02:52 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Did you update with them attached and them do a second reboot? That's the consensus to fix the issue most of the times.

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - PurpleReigns - 03-04-2017 11:43 AM

(02-15-2017 01:30 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  SF II will have a 1st Person mode on Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/video_ultra_street_fighter_iis_first_person_mode_looks_like_a_throwback_to_wonky_motion_controls

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/14/street-fighter-on-switch

Well, finalized my Switch opening day stuff:

Switch @ $300
BotW @ $60
BotW Amiibos 4x $16, 1x$20
Switch Pro Controller $70
Super Bomberman R @ $40
*Actually decided I'd do better than break even and got a GCU membership with Best Buy.

Only other things I might get and they will be decided upon launch day are colored joy con straps and a case for taking it on the go. I really want to see the cases first hand before I commit to buying any particular one.

Glad out got GCU and don't get the Insignia case Best Buy has. Too big on the sides.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - cbhstiger - 03-04-2017 12:50 PM

Guys, if you have a PS4, Horizon is a must have. Such a beautiful game, damn fun too.

Next up, Wildlands.... not sure if i will get it right away. I am pumped for ME:A.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - BearcatMan - 03-06-2017 04:58 PM

Are any of you guys having issues with playback delay, framerate drops, graphical skips while playing Zelda? My cousin has mentioned issues that both he and his son have had with the system in handheld and dock mode with occasionally massive skipping, draw distance, and framerate issues and I just want to see if it's them alone or if it has happened with any of you all as well. Seems like a big issue if it is already having an issue for a game built for last gen consoles.

Outside of that they are loving it in handheld mode, but my cousin has said a few times that you should buy it expecting a graphically superior 3DS with a docking station and not as a home console, because you'll be disappointed if you do. Seems like that sentiment is shared by Purp at least given his initial thoughts and the wide comps to 3DS instead of his PS4.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - BearcatMan - 03-06-2017 05:00 PM

(03-04-2017 12:50 PM)cbhstiger Wrote:  Guys, if you have a PS4, Horizon is a must have. Such a beautiful game, damn fun too.

Next up, Wildlands.... not sure if i will get it right away. I am pumped for ME:A.

Yes yes yes...just full dove Meridian section (was trying to completely finish the first section prior to moving to another section of the map) and my lord is it getting good story wise to pair along with the graphic eyegasm I've been dealing with for the last 10 hours of gameplay. My first encounter with a Thunderjaw was epic.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - gotigers1 - 03-06-2017 05:04 PM

(03-06-2017 05:00 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 12:50 PM)cbhstiger Wrote:  Guys, if you have a PS4, Horizon is a must have. Such a beautiful game, damn fun too.

Yes yes yes...just full dove Meridian section (was trying to completely finish the first section prior to moving to another section of the map) and my lord is it getting good story wise to pair along with the graphic eyegasm I've been dealing with for the last 10 hours of gameplay. My first encounter with a Thunderjaw was epic.

I'm actually nervous to face that thing

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - Kronke - 03-06-2017 05:06 PM

BOTW is amazing.

RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread (Switch it up!) - Stay Cool - 03-06-2017 06:16 PM

I can't pull myself away from Overwatch long enough to enjoy other games =/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk