CSNbbs
UMass Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UMass Football (/thread-739590.html)

RE: UMass Football - panama - 09-12-2016 07:39 AM

(09-11-2016 08:14 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:49 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 12:10 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  So I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade ... but what is the point of this thread continuing on??

Why doesn't each and every FBS school have its own thread spanning years and hundreds of posts??
Pretty simple, we need to align in a conference and this is the Conference Realignment board. It will be interesting to see how our young quarterback develops along the offense.

The defense has come a long way. It was extremely hard as a UMass fan to see Comis turn the ball over inside the 19 yard line for the second week in a row. Especially when the coach called a time out to go over the play. Boston College defense is good and sacked him 8 times and we lost the turnover battle by 2. Had a night to recover and again getting my spirits up and looking forward to our first true home game on campus.

Footnote, attendance was much smaller than expected, 25,112 and this game will not help. We still have 2 more power 5 teams and BYU to go but against everyone else looking to see the running game develop.

week 1: Florida 24 - 7
week 2: Boston College 26 - 7.

I would imagine that next year, NMSU would merit a thread on here. For a long time, there was an "all things GSU" for Georgia State.

Neither Army nor BYU is actively seeking a home that isn't addressed in another specific thread. For UMass this year and for NMSU starting next year their lack of a conference home is a more or less ongoing condition not tied to any particular conference.

I say, rename the thread to "All things UMass" and have a thread for "All things NMSU" next year for the Aggies and keep them here.
There still is my friend ...there still is... 03-wink

http://www.csnbbs.com//showthread.php?tid=507358

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - orangefan - 09-12-2016 08:32 AM

(09-12-2016 06:25 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  3 MAC is not an option for them. that already was decided. They could have had an all sports there. AAC is the only possible move they have.

If, hypothetically, Northern Illinois moved to the American, leaving the MAC at 11, why wouldn't the MAC be interested in UMass even as football-only? That's a whole different situation than being number 13.

RE: UMass Football - panama - 09-12-2016 12:47 PM

(09-12-2016 08:32 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 06:25 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  3 MAC is not an option for them. that already was decided. They could have had an all sports there. AAC is the only possible move they have.

If, hypothetically, Northern Illinois moved to the American, leaving the MAC at 11, why wouldn't the MAC be interested in UMass even as football-only? That's a whole different situation than being number 13.
Gotta believe UMass gets in before NIU

RE: UMass Football - Cyniclone - 09-12-2016 02:13 PM

The other thing to consider is that UMass may be a bellwether for other programs who are either kicking the tires on football independence (UConn?) or have had independence thrust upon them (New Mexico State). If UMass can make a go of it, other schools in less-than-ideal football situations may be emboldened to take the plunge themselves. If not, then maybe that salts the earth for independence outside of the grandfathered-in programs.

UMass's evolution as an independent program is an interesting case study and represents more than just their on-field results.

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 09-12-2016 02:16 PM

(09-12-2016 12:47 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 08:32 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

Gotta believe UMass gets in before NIU

Eh, we'll see. Everyone has a down year, just ask UCF. And their still in the running for the B12

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - BruceMcF - 09-12-2016 06:27 PM

(09-12-2016 12:47 PM)panama Wrote:  Gotta believe UMass gets in before NIU
Perhaps ... depends in part on which Division they need to rebuild. UMass in the American West is an even longer stretch than NIU in the American West.

RE: UMass Football - CarlSmithCenter - 09-13-2016 09:49 PM

UMass's best chance to get in the AAC is if somehow the Big 12 takes an odd number of AAC teams, either one or all three of Cincy Houston and UConn, along with BYU. That would leave the AAC with either 8 all sports/9 in football or 10 all sports/11 football. There would be no reason for the AAC to add anyone if they only lost two teams as they could still hold a CCG in football; no duo of UMass and either NIU, Rice, USM etc. would improve basketball or football completion or television contract value to financially justify making that type of move in that scenario given the CCG deregulation.

RE: UMass Football - Native Georgian - 09-13-2016 10:42 PM

This.

(09-13-2016 09:49 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  UMass's best chance to get in the AAC is if somehow the Big 12 takes an odd number of AAC teams, either one or all three of Cincy Houston and UConn, along with BYU. That would leave the AAC with either 8 all sports/9 in football or 10 all sports/11 football. There would be no reason for the AAC to add anyone if they only lost two teams as they could still hold a CCG in football; no duo of UMass and either NIU, Rice, USM etc. would improve basketball or football completion or television contract value to financially justify making that type of move in that scenario given the CCG deregulation.
If the American loses just 1, I'd imagine Army is in sights to step in as a football-only, resulting in a 10 MBB, 12 FB configuration.

UMass Football - chargeradio - 09-13-2016 10:52 PM

Still don't think Army would be interested; the AAC will look a lot like the C-USA they left years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 09-13-2016 11:01 PM

(09-13-2016 10:42 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
This.

(09-13-2016 09:49 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  UMass's best chance to get in the AAC is if somehow the Big 12 takes an odd number of AAC teams, either one or all three of Cincy Houston and UConn, along with BYU. That would leave the AAC with either 8 all sports/9 in football or 10 all sports/11 football. There would be no reason for the AAC to add anyone if they only lost two teams as they could still hold a CCG in football; no duo of UMass and either NIU, Rice, USM etc. would improve basketball or football completion or television contract value to financially justify making that type of move in that scenario given the CCG deregulation.
If the American loses just 1, I'd imagine Army is in sights to step in as a football-only, resulting in a 10 MBB, 12 FB configuration.
Army isn't coming man, i hate to tell you...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - BruceMcF - 09-13-2016 11:48 PM

(09-13-2016 10:52 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Still don't think Army would be interested; the AAC will look a lot like the C-USA they left years ago.
Quite ... the hold up on Army into the American is Army not having the interest in joining the American. If they'd had an interest when the old Big East was looking for a host of replacements, they'd already be in.

RE: UMass Football - PA-GAMECOCK - 09-14-2016 02:02 AM

Army needs a successful Independent run like Navy had before joining the AAC and no access to post season bowls before they join a conference again. Don't see the Armed Forces Bowl, the Military Bowl, and the Poinsettia Bowl locking them out though. 04-cheers

RE: UMass Football - MplsBison - 09-14-2016 08:11 AM

Army needs to do whatever needs to be done in order to copy Navy's success. How much longer can Army generals have sand kicked in their faces by their Naval counterparts??

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 09-17-2016 09:06 PM

week 1: Florida 24 - 7: P5 L
week 2: Boston College 26 - 7: P5 L
week 3: Florida Int'l 13 - 21: G5 W

From Coach Whipple
Quote:What a great win for our program last week at home in McGuirk Alumni Stadium against FIU! The guys played really well and I was certainly pleased with the overall efforts of all three facets of the game. What is really exciting is that we had 13 freshmen play a combined 330 plays which is really promising for the direction of our program.

RE: UMass Football - PA-GAMECOCK - 09-18-2016 08:32 AM

(09-17-2016 09:06 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  week 1: Florida 24 - 7: P5 L

Nice win. See 4 potential wins left on the schedule. 07-coffee3

RE: UMass Football - e-parade - 09-18-2016 10:54 AM

(09-18-2016 08:32 AM)PA-GAMECOCK Wrote:  

4? Obviously that would be: Mississippi State, South Carolina, BYU, and...Troy?

But really, that FIU win should have been by wither 11 or 15 points there...dropped a TD pass and then missed a 30 yard field goal right after. Still, just happy to have a win on there.

RE: UMass Football - PA-GAMECOCK - 09-18-2016 01:11 PM

(09-18-2016 10:54 AM)e-parade Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 08:32 AM)PA-GAMECOCK Wrote:  

4? Obviously that would be: Mississippi State, South Carolina, BYU, and...Troy?

But really, that FIU win should have been by wither 11 or 15 points there...dropped a TD pass and then missed a 30 yard field goal right after. Still, just happy to have a win on there.

I'll give you 3 out of 4 of those games if you want them but your not getting South Carolina. Not even with a new coach in SC. You should have played the Gamecocks last year if you wanted a win.. 04-cheers

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 09-23-2016 10:59 AM

From a Mississippi State site, tomorrows UMass home game at Gillette, will be aired in at least 40 states, plus Puerto Rico.
We're getting the UMass Football brand out there, but start winning will be key next year for fans to start buying in. Of course this year schedule is insane, with the youngest FBS team. We're playing our third P5 team in four weeks and like most teams have been nicked up and on our second quarterback due to injuries. Really hope Huber, on D, can play as he is the the coach on the field.

Quote:STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Mississippi State's non-conference football game at UMass will be televised live on ESPN3 and affiliates of the American Sports Network.

Kickoff from Gillette Stadium is 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday. ESPN3 can be accessed via WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app.

In addition, the following affiliates will carry the American Sports Network broadcast (check your local listings). DIRECTV and DISH customers search your listings on the guide (varies in different markets).

Mississippi
Biloxi/Gulfport – WXXV (My TV)
Greenwood – Cox Sports TV
Hattiesburg – WHPM-2 (This TV)
Jackson – W23BC (Youtoo America), WLOO (My TV)
Meridian – WMDN-2 (Bounce)
Starkville/Columbus/Tupelo – WCBI

Alabama
Birmingham – WMBA-3 (ASN)
Huntsville – WBCF-2 (Youtoo America), WHNT-2 (WHNT HD)
Mobile – WFGX (My TV), Cox Sports TV

Arkansas
Fort Smith/Fayetteville – KAJL (DTV America), Cox Sports TV
Jonesboro – Cox Sports TV
Little Rock – KATV3

Arizona
Phoenix – Cox Sports TV
Tucson – Cox Sports TV
Yuma – ALT2 (Altitude)

California
Chico – CSN Bay Area
Fresno/Visalia – KVBC-6 (Youtoo America), CSN Bay Area
Los Angeles – KHIZ LD4 (DTV America), FOTV
Monterey/Salinas – CSN Bay Area
Sacramento – CSN Bay Area
San Diego – Cox Sports TV
San Francisco – CSN Bay Area
Santa Barbara – Cox Sports TV

Colorado
Colorado Springs – ALT2 (Altitude)
Denver – ALT2 (Altitude)
Grand Junction – ALT2 (Altitude)

Connecticut
Hartford – NESN Plus

Florida
Gainesville – Cox Sports TV
Orlando – WZXZ-3 (Youtoo America)
Pensacola – Cox Sports TV
Panama City – Cox Sports TV
Tampa – WTTA (My TV)

Georgia
Atlanta – WDWW LD3 (DTV America), WEQT-5 (Youtoo America)
Macon – Cox Sports TV

Iowa
Des Moines/Ames – KCYM LD4 (DTV America)
Sioux City – KPTH-2 (My TV)

Idaho
Boise – ALT2 (Altitude)
Idaho Falls – ALT2 (Altitude)
Twin Falls – KBAX-3 (Youtoo America), ALT2 (Altitude)

Illinois
Champaign – WBUI (CW)

Indiana
Evansville – WJTS (Youtoo America)
Indianapolis – WHMB

Kansas
Topeka – Cox Sports TV
Wichita – ALT2 (Altitude), Cox Sports TV

Kentucky
Louisville – WBNA4 (Retro)
Paducah – WDKA (My TV)

Louisiana
Alexandria – Cox Sports TV
Baton Rouge – Cox Sports TV
Lafayette – KXKW (ASN), Cox Sports TV
Lake Charles – Cox Sports TV
New Orleans – KWBJ-8 (Youtoo America), Cox Sports TV
Shreveport – KTEV (Youtoo America), KPXJ (CW)

Massachusetts
Boston – NESN Plus
Springfield – NESN Plus

Maryland
Baltimore – WUTB3 (ASN)

Maine
Bangor – NESN Plus
Portland/Auburn – WGME3 (ASN), NESN Plus

Minnesota
Minneapolis – WUCW (CW)

Missouri
Joplin – KGCS (Youtoo America), Cox Sports TV

Montana
Billings – ALT2 (Altitude)
Butte/Bozeman – ALT2 (Altitude)
Glendive – ALT2 (Altitude)
Great Falls – ALT2 (Altitude)
Helena – ALT2 (Altitude)
Missoula – ALT2 (Altitude)

North Carolina
Greensboro – WXLV2 (ASN)
Raleigh/Durham – WLFL (ASN)

North Dakota
Fargo/Grand Forks – WDAY4 (Justice)

Nebraska
Lincoln – ALT2 (Altitude)
Omaha – ALT2 (Altitude), Cox Sports TV, KXVO3 (GRIT)

Nevada
Las Vegas – Cox Sports TV
Reno – CSN Bay Area, KRXI2 (Retro TV)

New York
Albany – WCWN (CW)
Buffalo – WNYO2 (ASN)
New York – WRNN2 (ASN)
Syracuse – WTVH2 (GRIT)

Ohio
Cincinnati – WKRC3 (ASN)
Cleveland/Akron – WQDI D-4 (DTV America)
Columbus – WTTE3 (ASN)
Dayton – WKEF2 (ASN)
Toledo – WNWO (ASN)

Oklahoma
Oklahoma City – WOMI (Youtoo America), KOCB (CW), Cox Sports TV
Tulsa – KTUL3 (RetroTV), Cox Sports TV

Oregon
Portland – KSLM (Youtoo America)

Pennsylvania
Harrisburg – CSN Philadelphia
Johnstown – WHVL2 (Youtoo America)
Philadelphia – CSN Philadelphia
Pittsburgh – WPNT2 (ASN)
Wilkes Barre – WSWB4 (ASN), CSN Philadelphia

Puerto Rico – WAPA

Rhode Island
Providence – WJAR2 (MeTV), NESN Plus

South Carolina
Charleston – WJNI (Youtoo America), WCIV (MyTV)
Columbia – WACH2 (ASN)
Myrtle Beach – WWBM3 (ASN)

South Dakota
Rapid City – ALT2 (Altitude)

Tennessee
Chattanooga – WHYB (Youtoo America)
Knoxville – NKT (Youtoo America)
Memphis – WQEK LD4 (DTV America)
Nashville – WNAB2 (ASN), WUXP (MyTV)

Texas
Beaumont – KBTV2 (Bounce)
El Paso – KDBC2 (My TV)
San Antonio – KMYS2 (ASN)
Tyler/Longview – KTPN (The Z), Cox Sports TV
Waco – Cox Sports TV

Utah
Salt Lake City – KPDR (Youtoo America), ALT2 (Altitude), KJZZ (Independent)

Virginia
Norfolk – WTVZ2 (ASN), W18BB (Youtoo America), Cox Sports TV
Roanoke – WSET2 (ASN), Cox Sports TV

Vermont
Burlington – WYCI (ASN), NESN Plus

Wisconsin
Green Bay – WCWF (CW)
Madison – WMSN3 (GRIT)
Milwaukee – WCGV (MyTV)

West Virginia
Charleston – WVAH2 (ASN)
Wheeling – WTOV3 (MeTV)

Wyoming
Casper/Riverton – ALT2 (Altitude)
Cheyenne – ALT2 (Altitude)

http://hailstate.com/news/2016/9/20/msu-umass-football-to-air-on-espn3-american-sports-network-affiliates.aspx

RE: UMass Football - BigHouston - 09-23-2016 01:00 PM

(09-13-2016 10:52 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Still don't think Army would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good b/c what the AAC really needs is someone who could provide football strength and Army IMHO just doesn't offer it.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 09-25-2016 09:22 AM

Left the game feeling optimistic about our future. Scoring in the second half and being with in 5 points near the end felt good. Yes Ford did turn it over and they got the last TD. This team is battle and fighting to the end.

week 1: Florida 24 - 7: P5 L
week 4: Miss State 47 - 35: P5 L

[Image: CtJ6zDkW8AAbtc-.jpg]

Know the record does not look like we are improving, but we are hanging tough. Playing mostly P5 teams in our 5th year FBS is a tough row to hoe. We need more wins than losses to start bring in new fans. Expected 3 wins this season, but 4-5 is possible, not probable. So, hoping for 4 wins. Two at McGuirk would be great. Tulane just won and they're coming to town.

Coach Whipple Post game.