CSNbbs
UMass Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UMass Football (/thread-739590.html)

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-15-2017 09:57 AM

More on the Fenway game regarding revenue distribution.

Quote:Athletic director Ryan Bamford said UMass and the Red Sox began discussing the possibility of a game at Fenway almost a year ago.

“We’ve been in talks with the Red Sox since last spring,” Bamford said.

He hoped the venue might help put the program in front of new potential fans.

“It might be a Red Sox fan who just wants to see it and realizes ‘this is good football,’” Bamford said. “It’s a tremendous opportunity for our program.”

Bamford said the revenue distribution from ticket sales is as follows: UMass gets the first $100,000. The Red Sox receive the next $400,000. After that UMass receives 45 percent of any ticket sold while the Red Sox get 55 percent.

UMass retained all broadcasting rights for television and digital distribution.

Bamford said the school will enter into a deal with Twins Enterprises to create event-specific merchandise and souvenirs.

UMass Football - panama - 01-15-2017 12:12 PM

Any news on stadium renovation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-16-2017 10:37 AM

Things are very quiet, so it's either good news or not so good. We have learned patience and looking to see how we do Feb 1st.

UMass Football - panama - 01-16-2017 10:47 AM

(01-16-2017 10:37 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Things are very quiet, so it's either good news or not so good. We have learned patience and looking to see how we do Feb 1st.

I really think getting that done will be key. Have to have something to sell recruits and alumni.

RE: UMass Football - EmeryZach - 01-16-2017 11:35 AM

I keep buying lottery tickets. No luck yet.

UMass Football - panama - 01-16-2017 12:00 PM

(01-16-2017 11:35 AM)EmeryZach Wrote:  I keep buying lottery tickets. No luck yet.

#MidMajorProblems

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-16-2017 10:13 PM

(01-16-2017 10:47 AM)panama Wrote:  
(01-16-2017 10:37 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Things are very quiet, so it's either good news or not so good. We have learned patience and looking to see how we do Feb 1st.

I really think getting that done will be key. Have to have something to sell recruits and alumni.

After wiffy with the last AD and scheduling, we need to win games more than anything. Winning games will help with everything. We have a lot of good young guns getting serious minutes as well with basketball. Both sports are on the upswing and was pleasantly pleased with BB wins against you guys, Dayton, and Temple.

Kind of surprised when we scheduled the BB games that we did not also schedule football. Then again we are playing three teams from the Sunbelt the next few years. Two we have history with in the FCS Championship games and Coastal, where we are opening their FBS era. Work every holiday and would have really like to plan a nice Labor Day vacation in Myrtle Beach.

RE: UMass Football - panama - 01-17-2017 01:54 PM

(01-16-2017 10:13 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(01-16-2017 10:47 AM)panama Wrote:  

After wiffy with the last AD and scheduling, we need to win games more than anything. Winning games will help with everything. We have a lot of good young guns getting serious minutes as well with basketball. Both sports are on the upswing and was pleasantly pleased with BB wins against you guys, Dayton, and Temple.

Kind of surprised when we scheduled the BB games that we did not also schedule football. Then again we are playing three teams from the Sunbelt the next few years. Two we have history with in the FCS Championship games and Coastal, where we are opening their FBS era. Work every holiday and would have really like to plan a nice Labor Day vacation in Myrtle Beach.
We were ravaged by the flu for about 10 days. We just dusted Louisiana by 15 in Lafayette last night so I think the real team is going to start to show up now.

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 01-18-2017 03:00 PM

I feel your pain...

*stares longingly at the NIU master plan*

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-19-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:According to a breaking story early Thursday morning, first reported by Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, the Massachusetts Minutemen have fired defensive coordinator.

This move will not surprise a lot of folks in UMass Nation. It will in fact make a great deal of UMass fans very, very happy.

The bottom line is that under Masella, the UMass defense had been getting progressively worse over the past three seasons. Last year, as the figures in Matt's article indicate, UMass gave up over 450 yards and 35 points per game. We touched on those numbers as well in our season recap, and they are no less staggering now as they were when the season ended.

Offensively the Minutemen have run into issues and may not be a dominating unit, but they can score effectively and have proven it against all levels of competition, including the Power Five. Defensively however, UMass had a difficult time stopping anyone not named Florida International or in the FCS over the past few years, and that simply could not continue to be the case.

Also from Micheal Traini on thread discussion oof his article.
Quote:If anyone wants to speculate on candidates, this is the place for wild conjecture.

Zach had a couple names this morning on Twitter, Lyle Hemphill (Stony Brook) and Billy Crocker (Villanova).

Another name I saw suggested that fits a lot of criteria UMass seems to like in their coaches (like having played here) is Ben Albert at Duke. He's the associate DC for the Blue Devils now, and defensive line coach.

This is an important hire, because whoever comes in has to be able to hit the ground running and get the defense performing to an acceptable standard quickly

http://umass.247sports.com/Board/59480/Contents/REPORT-UMass-Minutemen-fire-defensive-coordinator-Tom-Masella-50652233

Longer thread on UMasshoops.com

http://umasshoops.com/newboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15054

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-20-2017 12:08 PM

(10-08-2016 05:12 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 10:03 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 09:58 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 09:48 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  So, has the UMass crowd grown weary of HC Mark Whipple? If so, can the school afford to replace him?
No, very happy to have Whip. Some fans may not be thrilled with his play calling, but none are asking for his head.
That's good to hear. It takes time to build a program, especially in the northeast region.
This is no longer the case, some are calling for Whips head if he does not produce next year or hires an offensive coordinator. To be fair, we were missing 5 starters and 2 looked like discipline action.

week 1: Florida 24 - 7: P5 L
week 2: Boston College 26 - 7: P5 L
week 3: Florida Int'l 13 - 21: G5 W
week 4: Miss State 47 - 35: P5 L
Week 5: Tulane 31- 24: G5 L
Week 6: ODU 36 - 16: G5 L

NJ2MSTerp, UMass has not been paying our HC and assistants very well. We've fired our DC and this will be an important hire and have faith in our AD, Ryan Bamford. He has used above budgeted revenue from football last year to pay the severance packages for the Men's hockey and Women's BB coaches.

Our Gridiron Club is fairly new and starting to bring in some real dollars. A friend made a very good point regarding the need to be in conference. For the most part, the only teams that want to schedule us are teams that know they can beat us as P5 and very good G5 teams. Look at this season, 9 of the 10 losses were teams that went to bowl games and those 9 teams in bowls had a record of 8-1. Personally think we need to make a move in the next 12 months.

AAC is plan A and the only good plan B is a real, long, long shot. Say CUSA loses a team to say the AAC and UTEP leaves. CUSA will probably stay at 12, but ODU could advocate for JMU and then that could open the door. Educated guess we'd like a football only with BB affilation for x games with CUSA. Say it could be to play a basketball game with everyone in the new CUSA football north division of Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and JMU.

RE: UMass Football - panite - 01-21-2017 11:49 AM

(01-20-2017 12:08 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 09:48 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  So, has the UMass crowd grown weary of HC Mark Whipple? If so, can the school afford to replace him?
No, very happy to have Whip. Some fans may not be thrilled with his play calling, but none are asking for his head.
That's good to hear. It takes time to build a program, especially in the northeast region.
This is no longer the case, some are calling for Whips head if he does not produce next year or hires an offensive coordinator. To be fair, we were missing 5 starters and 2 looked like discipline action.

NJ2MSTerp, UMass has not been paying our HC and assistants very well. We've fired our DC and this will be an important hire and have faith in our AD, Ryan Bamford. He has used above budgeted revenue from football last year to pay the severance packages for the Men's hockey and Women's BB coaches.

Our Gridiron Club is fairly new and starting to bring in some real dollars. A friend made a very good point regarding the need to be in conference. For the most part, the only teams that want to schedule us are teams that know they can beat us as P5 and very good G5 teams. Look at this season, 9 of the 10 losses were teams that went to bowl games and those 9 teams in bowls had a record of 8-1. Personally think we need to make a move in the next 12 months.

AAC is plan A and the only good plan B is a real, long, long shot. Say CUSA loses a team to say the AAC and UTEP leaves. CUSA will probably stay at 12, but ODU could advocate for JMU and then that could open the door. Educated guess we'd like a football only with BB affilation for x games with CUSA. Say it could be to play a basketball game with everyone in the new CUSA football north division of Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and JMU.

UMass should have stayed in the MAC for all sports when it was offered to stabilize the football program. It could have filled its OOC Olympic Sports schedules with old local A-10 schools if it wanted to cut travel expenses for those sports or if it wanted to keep long established A-10 rivalries going. For football UMass could built a close rivalry with Buffalo and schedule NE AAC schools to establish a relationship with the American should something open there down the road. While waiting in the MAC for a future potential AAC call down the road the football program would have more stability especially in scheduling and the university could have continued upgrading the on campus stadium at least closing the stadium in on the final side trying to upgrade capacity to at least 25,000. By the way the latest upgrades to the stadium are great. Good luck on your current journey but UMASS should consider re-approaching the MAC for all sports with JMU if there is any interest on their part yet.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-22-2017 01:08 PM

IDK Panite if the above was the best option. Granted UMass AD's have made alot of mistakes through the years and this is not one of the biggest. I'd list going 1AA in the late 70's, not accepting a Big East invite when the league was forming and once a gain a few years later when other A10 programs jumped to the Big East.

The past decision was not made by our current AD, who I heard second hand may not have made the same decision and more inline to your suggestion.

As an UMass football fan, these are stressful times. I do give twice as much to football than basketball, but my donations barely move the needle.

RE: UMass Football - mturn017 - 01-22-2017 01:35 PM

(01-20-2017 12:08 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

I think you guys better hunker down for a long stretch of independence. The AAC seems pretty content and I give your CUSA scenario next to zero chance of happening for several reasons. Best chance to join an FBS conference is to offer all sports to the MAC but that ship may have already sailed. I honestly don't see any G5 conference making any changes until the big boys move.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-22-2017 02:24 PM

Think something will happen with regards to the Big XII in the next few years, if not this spring. Have to think this will be our best chance and move at the opportunity the ripple effects causes.

Question regarding plan B and no conference alignment. Not sure which would be better, a 16 team CUSA or the MAC. If CUSA could get a bump to 3.5M by adding JMU and UMass all sports, think it's a more realistic plan B than the MAC. The eastern CUSA could be Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, JMU, a Florida team and UMass.

RE: UMass Football - Carolina_Low_Country - 01-22-2017 09:02 PM

UMass needs to try to create a new conference.

UMass
Buffalo
Marshall
James Madison
Old Dominion
WKU
Middle Tennessee
Appalachian State
Charlotte
Coastal Carolina
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Florida Atlantic
FIU

RE: UMass Football - shizzle787 - 01-22-2017 09:23 PM

UMass should wait for the Big 12 thing to pass over (it may take up to 8 years), which (yes, I'm a homer) I think results in UConn and Cincy going that a way. I don't see the American backfilling with UMass. Either they don't make a move or try to get Army/MWC school, then MWC schools, then C-USA schools. It is at this point that C-USA may think about adding a school or two. I could see the American adding Army (football-only) and Rice, so that would leave one spot open for UMass. If UMass doesn't get selected by then, it would be smart to go back to FCS where you were successful. You would stay in the A-10, which is a solid league for basketball.

RE: UMass Football - Kittonhead - 01-22-2017 09:36 PM

UMass should have worked with the A10 while Temple was still in the conference to get it to expand and become FBS.

The only thing is at that time logical additions like Old Dominion and Charlotte were not in FBS and CUSA had a good TV deal to anchor in Marshall. Buffalo today I feel is off limits with the MAC's TV deal.

UMass
Marshall
Old Dominion
Charlotte
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

They might as well strike out on their own since nobody has TV dollars.

Men's basketball it couldn't be worse than what CUSA has now that is for sure.

RE: UMass Football - chargeradio - 01-22-2017 10:19 PM

Remember the Atlantic 10 would have not been able to invite schoolsfrom FCS until it had 8 full members playing FBS football itself. At the best case, the A-10 would have needed the following to go FBS:

UMass moving football from the MAC in 2013 (first season out of transition)
Temple staying (George Mason stays in CAA)
Cincinnati replacing Xavier (Xavier to Big East)
UConn joining as a full member (VCU not added in 2012)
South Florida added as a full member (Butler to Big East)
Memphis added as a full member
Central Florida added as a full member
Georgia State added as a full member in 2013 (first season out of transition)
Charlotte staying (Davidson not added in 2014), bowl eligible in 2015; first FCS invite

That's a net add of four members just to get to nine in football. That would push conference membership to 19 assuming the Big East stopped at 10 members. Even if the Big East took Saint Louis and either Dayton or Richmond, 17 is still too many members for a conference. Of course if this had happened, the CAA now has Davidson, VCU, and George Mason.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 01-22-2017 10:52 PM

(01-22-2017 09:36 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  UMass should have worked with the A10 while Temple was still in the conference to get it to expand and become FBS.

The only thing is at that time logical additions like Old Dominion and Charlotte were not in FBS and CUSA had a good TV deal to anchor in Marshall. Buffalo today I feel is off limits with the MAC's TV deal.

UMass
Marshall
Old Dominion
Charlotte
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

They might as well strike out on their own since nobody has TV dollars.

Men's basketball it couldn't be worse than what CUSA has now that is for sure.

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/409717-atlantic-10-football-coming-soon-stadium-near-you.html

There is a thread from the A10 BB that mentioned the idea of A10 FBS Football in the summer of 2008 after a bleachers report article mentions the idea. kittonhead the sixth post in the thread starts coming close to your vision.

Here are post #6 and #9.

Quote:App St., UMass, Delaware and JMU would all contend in the MAC right now, no need for an upgrade. The last three already have larger athletic budgets than anyone in the MAC. Last season, the MAC's champion got destroyed at home by FCS team North Dakota St., which just moved up from Division II. The days when the MAC played the role of upstarts are long gone, they can't hang on to good coaches because nobody shows up for their games. Half of them straddle or are below the NCAA's minimum attendance requirements. In basketball, they haven't had an at-large bid to the tournament since the 1900s. Their television markets are smaller than the proposed "A10". Academically only 3 of them are Tier 1 universities, including Buffalo. I cheer for them when they're not facing UMass or our conference mates because I pull for the little guy, but honestly they have nothing going for them right now.
According to Sag, Akron is #111, Bowling Green is #93, Buffalo #148, Kent State is #136, Miami is #95, OU is #107....Ball State is #94, Central Michigan is #85, Eatern Michigan is #139, Northern Illinois is #102, Toledo is #96, and Western Michigan is #92. Temple plays football in the MAC right? They stink, coming in at #151.

So that's 85, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 102, 107, 111, 136, 139, 148, and 151.

This is pretty interesting, because App St comes in at #70, UMass at #77, Delaware at #99, and JMU at #87.

Last may just be right on that. I stand corrected.