CSNbbs
UMass Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UMass Football (/thread-739590.html)

RE: UMass Football - Carolina_Low_Country - 08-09-2017 03:02 PM

(08-06-2017 10:12 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 09:54 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 09:37 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 09:03 PM)panama Wrote:  They have a TV deal as an independent. They seem to be doing fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

...for now... but is it sustainable? The MAC offered stability to UMASS in regards to its football program along with more TV $$—which I ascertained from reading a post by Steve1981 .

The A10 provides both TV and NCAA credits for revenue. One extra buy game balances things out. The football program may had more stability with being in the MAC, but only by a slight degree. We have no problem scheduling and able to schedule more up and down the east coast. Can't wait for the season to begin in less than 19 days!

In the MAC, UMASS had bowl tie-ins and something to play for: A possible MAC championship and New Year’s Bowl if it finished as the highest ranked G5 champion. Furthermore, UMASS likely could have recruited better players while in the MAC. Its football team basically has nothing to look forward to except for a “possible” bowl invite. Consequently, I just don't see it lasting long term, but I could be wrong....

They can play for consistent undefeated seasons and a playoff spot. I know the chances are really low, but technically any team can make the playoff, you just have to win all your games and beat some good teams.

RE: UMass Football - panama - 08-09-2017 05:51 PM

(08-06-2017 09:03 PM)panama Wrote:  They have a TV deal as an independent. They seem to be doing fine.

...for now... but is it sustainable? The MAC offered stability to UMASS in regards to its football program along with more TV $$—which I ascertained from reading a post by Steve1981 .

The A10 provides both TV and NCAA credits for revenue. One extra buy game balances things out. The football program may had more stability with being in the MAC, but only by a slight degree. We have no problem scheduling and able to schedule more up and down the east coast. Can't wait for the season to begin in less than 19 days!

In the MAC, UMASS had bowl tie-ins and something to play for: A possible MAC championship and New Year’s Bowl if it finished as the highest ranked G5 champion. Furthermore, UMASS likely could have recruited better players while in the MAC. Its football team basically has nothing to look forward to except for a “possible” bowl invite. Consequently, I just don't see it lasting long term, but I could be wrong....
So...much like 120 out 130 FBS schools?

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 08-09-2017 07:42 PM

There has been a steady dose of negative press since we finally righted the wrong in 1977.

Let's see where we finish. I'd post the results since finally going to FBS, but currently our forum is moving moved to a new provider. Its fluctuated in the 110's, which is nothing to be proud of, but it's just bad journalism to rank us #130.

Of course the article has us playing 4 of the top 40 teams.

RE: UMass Football - Underdog - 08-10-2017 12:39 PM

(08-09-2017 05:51 PM)panama Wrote:  

You’re overlooking the bowl tie-ins that many conferences have, so UMASS is at a huge bowl disadvantage….

RE: UMass Football - Underdog - 08-10-2017 12:40 PM

(08-09-2017 03:02 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  

They can play for consistent undefeated seasons and a playoff spot. I know the chances are really low, but technically any team can make the playoff, you just have to win all your games and beat some good teams.

Please keep this discussion realistic….

RE: UMass Football - Underdog - 08-10-2017 12:53 PM

(08-07-2017 08:16 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Football would be better if we stayed in the MAC - that is arguably and probably true.

The problem was/is that the rest of the athletics programs would suffer dropping down to the MAC and that was not in the cards. The only possible exception to that would have been if Temple went all in MAC too.

After Basketball and Football, Umass has been pretty competitive in everything else (hockey has been marginal too, but that was not part of any moves - that will always been Hockey East). The overall travel budget increases for everything was just too much for maybe/possibly football recovering that cost down the road. There was also absolutely no fan interest in MAC here. Call it snobby or whatever, but Amherst could give a rats arse about directional Michigan/Ohio based schools on a weekly basis. There is just nothing to get behind there.

Umass has the resources to let this play out until the FBS conference implosion in a few years. In the mean time they have done a pretty good job scheduling for some exposure. As long as the number of bowls does not drop, they can hopefully start looking at December games next season and with any luck maybe one this year?

Today we should be farther along in this process, but Molnar did a lot of damage - granted he started behind the 8 ball with the horrid roster he inherited, but he was a marketing nightmare with the fans too. As a Western Mass native - it was obvious to me that he never ever even once looked at the audience he was playing too when he started opening his mouth. He turned off more than he turned on for sure. Pouring salt an that wound was bad AD to boot.

It took Whip 2 years to undo what Molnar did; and now we have a really good AD who gets it. Umass is starting to show some signs of life in Football and Basketball.

The plan is to get fully up to speed when the next round of conference moves start and we have become a more valuable commodity.

UMASS should give Chip Kelly a call.... He would at least put an entertaining product on the field—which puts people in the seats. As attendance grows, your stadium should grow along with it….

RE: UMass Football - Cyniclone - 08-10-2017 01:02 PM

[Image: WpIcQg9.png]

Now that's just mean

RE: UMass Football - panama - 08-10-2017 01:23 PM

(08-10-2017 12:39 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 05:51 PM)panama Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 09:37 PM)Underdog Wrote:  ...for now... but is it sustainable? The MAC offered stability to UMASS in regards to its football program along with more TV $$—which I ascertained from reading a post by Steve1981 .

You’re overlooking the bowl tie-ins that many conferences have, so UMASS is at a huge bowl disadvantage….
There are are normally more slots than teams. If they will 7 or more it's unlikely they get left out.

RE: UMass Football - templefootballfan - 08-10-2017 01:31 PM

Chip Kelly brilliant idea, he from NH
when eagles fired Buddy Ryan,
Radio host started temple to hire Buddy
it a shame it never happened

RE: UMass Football - Underdog - 08-10-2017 02:18 PM

(08-10-2017 01:31 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Chip Kelly brilliant idea, he from NH

I know this is OT, but why didn't Temple try to hire Chip after Matt Rhule went to Baylor?

RE: UMass Football - Pony94 - 08-10-2017 02:54 PM

(08-10-2017 02:18 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 01:31 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Chip Kelly brilliant idea, he from NH

I know this is OT, but why didn't Temple try to hire Chip after Matt Rhule went to Baylor?
Show cause penalty

RE: UMass Football - Policiious - 08-10-2017 07:28 PM

If the INdependent teams were smart they would form an Independent Conference for Bowl and All conference team purposes. With BYU, NM ST, Liberty UMASS & Army all you need is one more team to have the 6 required to form a conference. If Idaho wasn't dropping down they could make it a conference. Their home and home scheduling in the same sweason with relatively close by Liberty is genius.

UMASS plays aheck of schedule last year they had home games with Boston College and MS St, road games with Florida, South Carolina and BYU. This year road games with Temple, Tennesee, South Florida, MS St & BYU. Next year home games with BYU and USF, short travel road games with BC & UCONN and close out the season at Georgia,2019 they have home games with UCONN & BYU(again) plus road games with Rugers Northwestern and a close travel road game with Army. Have 7 games scheduled for 2020 including short travel road game with UCONN, 2 SEC road games at MS ST & Auburn and an Army home game

What non Power 5 team has a stronger or better schedule than that. No MAC team has had a home game with an SEC opponent and I doubt few G5 teams have either

RE: UMass Football - BearcatJerry - 08-10-2017 07:37 PM

(08-10-2017 07:28 PM)Policiious Wrote:  If the INdependent teams were smart they would form an Independent Conference for Bowl and All conference team purposes. With BYU, NM ST, Liberty UMASS & Army all you need is one more team to have the 6 required to form a conference. If Idaho wasn't dropping down they could make it a conference. Their home and home scheduling in the same sweason with relatively close by Liberty is genius.

UMASS plays aheck of schedule last year they had home games with Boston College and MS St, road games with Florida, South Carolina and BYU. This year road games with Temple, Tennesee, South Florida, MS St & BYU. Next year home games with BYU and USF, short travel road games with BC & UCONN and close out the season at Georgia,2019 they have home games with UCONN & BYU(again) plus road games with Rugers Northwestern and a close travel road game with Army. Have 7 games scheduled for 2020 including short travel road game with UCONN, 2 SEC road games at MS ST & Auburn and an Army home game

What non Power 5 team has a stronger or better schedule than that. No MAC team has had a home game with an SEC opponent and I doubt few G5 teams have either

Uh... Aren't "Independent" and "Conference" mutually exclusive terms? Wouldn't you just be saying: "If the Independent teams were smart they would form a Conference for Bowl and All conference team purposes."?

RE: UMass Football - panama - 08-10-2017 08:05 PM

(08-10-2017 07:37 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 07:28 PM)Policiious Wrote:  If the INdependent teams were smart they would form an Independent Conference for Bowl and All conference team purposes. With BYU, NM ST, Liberty UMASS & Army all you need is one more team to have the 6 required to form a conference. If Idaho wasn't dropping down they could make it a conference. Their home and home scheduling in the same sweason with relatively close by Liberty is genius.

Uh... Aren't "Independent" and "Conference" mutually exclusive terms? Wouldn't you just be saying: "If the Independent teams were smart they would form a Conference for Bowl and All conference team purposes."?
".…for Bowl and All conference team purposes"

So they would not play a conference schedule. They would be a mutual association to handle to things like bowls.

RE: UMass Football - billybobby777 - 08-10-2017 09:40 PM

Actually several CUSA teams are hosting SEC teams next month. MWC teams do it too. Arkansas is going to Colorado St next year. Ole Miss went to Wyoming. Missouri and A&M went to New Mexico....I'm sure there's more if I looked it up. Hawaii comes to mind.

RE: UMass Football - Policiious - 08-11-2017 02:27 AM

(08-10-2017 08:05 PM)panama Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 07:37 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

".…for Bowl and All conference team purposes"

So they would not play a conference schedule. They would be a mutual association to handle to things like bowls.

Exactly that was the idea I had in mind, thank you.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 08-11-2017 05:53 PM

http://www.umassathletics.com/news/2017/8/11/umass-football-unveils-tv-partnership-with-eleven-sports-network.aspx

[Image: DG9mzerUAAARGX5.jpg]

UMass announces 2017 TV deal with Eleven Sports Network and NESN
The streaming free of charge could hurt a little in revenue and fans at the gate.

Quote:AMHERST, Mass. - University of Massachusetts Athletics, in conjunction with multimedia rights holder Learfield's UMass Sports Properties, announced on Friday a new television partnership with Eleven Sports Network to produce and distribute all six of the Minutemen's home football games for the 2017 season. To support the availability of all six contests regionally, each will be broadcast on the NESN family of networks as well.

In order to provide numerous platforms for fans to follow the team this season, all six games airing live via Eleven Sports and NESN family of networks will also be available to watch free of charge via live stream on UMassAthletics.com.

UMass football joins sports leagues such as the Big Sky Conference, the Ivy League, La Liga and the English Premier League as part of Eleven Sports' offerings. Eleven Sports is available on various cable, satellite, Telco, and OTT providers. Use the Eleven Sports Channel Finder to search availability in your area.

The Minutemen have six home games in 2017, including five on-campus at McGuirk Alumni Stadium and one at Fenway Park against Maine on Nov. 11 as part of the Fenway Gridiron Series. Start times for all six home games were announced on Thurs., July 27.

Kickoff for the season-opener on Sat., Aug. 26 against Hawai'i will be at 6 p.m. The remaining four McGuirk Alumni Stadium contests – Sept. 9 vs. Old Dominion, Sept. 30 vs. Ohio, Oct. 21 vs. Georgia Southern and Oct. 28 vs. Appalachian State – will all begin at 3:30 p.m. The Fenway Park meeting with Maine on Nov. 11 starts at 4 p.m.

Mark Traini take on umass.247sports

http://umass.247sports.com/Bolt/UMass-announces-2017-TV-deal-with-Eleven-Sports-Network-and-NESN-106030364

RE: UMass Football - templefootballfan - 08-11-2017 06:48 PM

espn should have graped Hawaii game, did espn even bid on it

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 08-11-2017 07:01 PM

(08-11-2017 06:48 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  espn should have grabbed the Hawaii game, did espn even bid on it
fixed a bit.

idk, but know we passed on a paid contract last year, perhaps the current sports deal required Hawaii. This deal gives us the best regional coverage. Difficult to weigh one national game or all home games available regionally. Disappointed the Hawaii game is not on ESPN and from Hawaii media, they really needed this game to fulfill their PPV contract with Spectrum. So we passed $$ and went with exposure for all home games.

RE: UMass Football - MissouriStateBears - 08-11-2017 07:34 PM

(08-11-2017 05:53 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  http://www.umassathletics.com/news/2017/8/11/umass-football-unveils-tv-partnership-with-eleven-sports-network.aspx

[Image: DG9mzerUAAARGX5.jpg]

UMass announces 2017 TV deal with Eleven Sports Network and NESN
The streaming free of charge could hurt a little in revenue and fans at the gate.

Quote:AMHERST, Mass. - University of Massachusetts Athletics, in conjunction with multimedia rights holder Learfield's UMass Sports Properties, announced on Friday a new television partnership with Eleven Sports Network to produce and distribute all six of the Minutemen's home football games for the 2017 season. To support the availability of all six contests regionally, each will be broadcast on the NESN family of networks as well.

In order to provide numerous platforms for fans to follow the team this season, all six games airing live via Eleven Sports and NESN family of networks will also be available to watch free of charge via live stream on UMassAthletics.com.

UMass football joins sports leagues such as the Big Sky Conference, the Ivy League, La Liga and the English Premier League as part of Eleven Sports' offerings. Eleven Sports is available on various cable, satellite, Telco, and OTT providers. Use the Eleven Sports Channel Finder to search availability in your area.

The Minutemen have six home games in 2017, including five on-campus at McGuirk Alumni Stadium and one at Fenway Park against Maine on Nov. 11 as part of the Fenway Gridiron Series. Start times for all six home games were announced on Thurs., July 27.

Kickoff for the season-opener on Sat., Aug. 26 against Hawai'i will be at 6 p.m. The remaining four McGuirk Alumni Stadium contests – Sept. 9 vs. Old Dominion, Sept. 30 vs. Ohio, Oct. 21 vs. Georgia Southern and Oct. 28 vs. Appalachian State – will all begin at 3:30 p.m. The Fenway Park meeting with Maine on Nov. 11 starts at 4 p.m.

Mark Traini take on umass.247sports

http://umass.247sports.com/Bolt/UMass-announces-2017-TV-deal-with-Eleven-Sports-Network-and-NESN-106030364

Smart move to get on NESN. Best television partner possible for your market.