CSNbbs
Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? (/thread-773809.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-15-2016 01:51 PM

I hope folks in Mississippi are not holding their breath.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - BlueraiderJT - 03-15-2016 03:35 PM

(03-15-2016 01:43 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I'm hoping for the trickle down effect. If they poach MWC then maybe UTEP gets in the MWC.

That's exactly what I've heard and read but who knows when anything will happen.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - laureleagle - 03-15-2016 04:40 PM

(03-13-2016 11:39 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 11:05 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 01:21 AM)Noodles Wrote:  Just say no to the AAC.

We'd be committing football suicide if we did. If you get the invite, you take it. I don't care what biased standpoint we have on this board, outsider perception says AAC is better. If you ever want to get to the top, you have to take every opportunity.

Please explain how getting into another G5 conference is getting to the top.

Look at which conferences their teams are leaving for and look at which conference our teams are leaving for. Look at where their top teams are being ranked and look at where our top teams are being ranked. This idea that going to the Big East/AAC is a lateral move (dating back to 2004) is beyond baseless at this point.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - monarx - 03-15-2016 04:47 PM

The old Big East is nothing like the AAC. Its history in name only (other than UConn). Its like comparing CUSA 3.0 to 1.0. CUSA 2.0 (AAC) is a G5 conference, and at this point nobody has left it to go to a P5. Houston, UConn, Memphis and Cincy have a chance, but it hasn't happened yet. If they do, the incentive to leave CUSA for the AAC vanishes for a team like USM.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - stinkfist - 03-15-2016 04:51 PM

(03-15-2016 03:35 PM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 01:43 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I'm hoping for the trickle down effect. If they poach MWC then maybe UTEP gets in the MWC.

That's exactly what I've heard and read but who knows when anything will happen.

for once, fit has a clue....it's always been in their best regional interest to be in the mwc....

the real question is why would they want them?

football...nope

hoops....'burg boy timmy hasn't gotten it done....

not sure what the attraction is......

at some point, the field of play becomes important....

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - JCMiner - 03-15-2016 06:55 PM

(03-15-2016 04:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

for once, fit has a clue....it's always been in their best regional interest to be in the mwc....

football...nope

The main reason why they would want us is because the other available western schools aren't very attractive. If they lose one school and are looking to get back to 12 the three logical options are UTEP, NMSU or Idaho. Unless they want to invite a FCS project. Not to brag but I think we are a better option than the two Sun Belt rejects.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - stinkfist - 03-15-2016 07:17 PM

(03-15-2016 06:55 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

football...nope

The main reason why they would want us is because the other available western schools aren't very attractive. If they lose one school and are looking to get back to 12 the three logical options are UTEP, NMSU or Idaho. Unless they want to invite a FCS project. Not to brag but I think we are a better option than the two Sun Belt rejects.

won't argue that point....but at this point, winning is what matters for the leftovers....

that 10 number is a big deal.....

I think we've discussed that before....

look man....I have no animosity against utep (other than fit's just a loon)......southern miss knows what it's like to be left out (I'm talking about when we were indy).....it's a dadgum miracle we were invited to the Metro......just flat out amazing that one was....

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - usm99 - 03-15-2016 07:55 PM

(03-15-2016 07:17 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

football...nope

won't argue that point....but at this point, winning is what matters for the leftovers....

look man....I have no animosity against utep (other than fit's just a loon)......southern miss knows what it's like to be left out (I'm talking about when we were indy).....it's a dadgum miracle we were invited to the Metro......just flat out amazing that one was....

I was talking with a coworker today about the old Metro Conference and how the conference we were in use to look like.....USM, Florida St, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, and Tulane.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - stinkfist - 03-15-2016 08:26 PM

(03-15-2016 07:55 PM)usm99 Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 03:35 PM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  That's exactly what I've heard and read but who knows when anything will happen.

football...nope

I was talking with a coworker today about the old Metro Conference and how the conference we were in use to look like.....USM, Florida St, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, and Tulane.

again, just flat out amazing how our football program got us 'that' invite....it's why I will always wish for hoops but hold the pigskin most dear to the vest.....thanks pops for taking us to the byu game at jackson memorial on Nov 29th, 1975! I was 10 and hooked for life! beat 'em 42-14....was the first time they played east of the 'sip.....it took coors another 15 years to get here 03-wink

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - cotton1991 - 03-15-2016 08:43 PM

(03-15-2016 08:26 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 04:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  for once, fit has a clue....it's always been in their best regional interest to be in the mwc....

football...nope

again, just flat out amazing how our football program got us 'that' invite....it's why I will always wish for hoops but hold the pigskin most dear to the vest.....thanks pops for taking us to the byu game at jackson memorial on Nov 29th, 1975! I was 10 and hooked for life! beat 'em 42-14....was the first time they played east of the 'sip.....it took coors another 15 years to get here 03-wink

But the old Metro never sponsored football, it was a bball league as far as I recall. Not sure what USM football had to do with that.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Thegoldstandard - 03-15-2016 09:00 PM

(03-15-2016 08:43 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 06:55 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  The main reason why they would want us is because the other available western schools aren't very attractive. If they lose one school and are looking to get back to 12 the three logical options are UTEP, NMSU or Idaho. Unless they want to invite a FCS project. Not to brag but I think we are a better option than the two Sun Belt rejects.

But the old Metro never sponsored football, it was a bball league as far as I recall. Not sure what USM football had to do with that.

But its fair to say that we would all be better off right now if we had gotten the metro football deal to go thru back 25 years ago.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - cotton1991 - 03-15-2016 09:05 PM

(03-15-2016 09:00 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 07:17 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  won't argue that point....but at this point, winning is what matters for the leftovers....

But its fair to say that we would all be better off right now if we had gotten the metro football deal to go thru back 25 years ago.

Goes without saying.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Up2stuff - 03-15-2016 09:44 PM

(03-15-2016 09:00 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 07:17 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  won't argue that point....but at this point, winning is what matters for the leftovers....

What do you mean by "we would all"? Everybody that was in the Metro IS better off - except us.

Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Jayesseagle - 03-16-2016 12:04 AM

(03-15-2016 03:35 PM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  That's exactly what I've heard and read but who knows when anything will happen.

football...nope

Yea, the metro could have and should have been big on football. Remember when the Metro was going to create the "Mega Metro" (the first ever Super Conference) that included:

*North Division
1)Boston College
2)Cincinnati
3)Pittsburgh
4)Rutgers
5)Syracuse
6)Temple
7)Virginia Tech
8)West Virginia

*South Division
1)East Carolina
2)Florida State
3)Louisville
4)Memphis State
5)Miami
6)South Carolina
7)Southern Miss
8)Tulane

A 16-team league !! That would have been one heck of a football conference, but I believe Louisville and Howard Schnellenberger opposed and helped axe that from ever happening. I still don't understand it all.

Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - doughtyrowdy - 03-16-2016 06:06 AM

(03-16-2016 12:04 AM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 04:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  for once, fit has a clue....it's always been in their best regional interest to be in the mwc....

football...nope

Yea, the metro could have and should have been big on football. Remember when the Metro was going to create the "Mega Metro" (the first ever Super Conference) that included:

*North Division
1)Boston College
2)Cincinnati
3)Pittsburgh
4)Rutgers
5)Syracuse
6)Temple
7)Virginia Tech
8)West Virginia

*South Division
1)East Carolina
2)Florida State
3)Louisville
4)Memphis State
5)Miami
6)South Carolina
7)Southern Miss
8)Tulane

A 16-team league !! That would have been one heck of a football conference, but I believe Louisville and Howard Schnellenberger opposed and helped axe that from ever happening. I still don't understand it all.

Howard was a big advocate of Louisville's independent status. I remember in the Eighties chatting with him after a speaking engagement. I mentioned that the Metro would make a pretty good football conference. He gave me that Snelly look behind that pipe he just lit up and said, "Conferences are the equivalent of athletic communism." Oh well. Not happening on his watch

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - AndreWhere - 03-16-2016 07:37 AM

Howard is correct, but he's missing the point. Communism is good for sports, e.g. the salary cap and revenue sharing in the NFL. We all live in the world of rampant capitalism. Sports *used* to be an escape- until ******** like Howard Schnellenberger ruined that.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - DaSaintFan - 03-16-2016 08:04 AM

(03-15-2016 08:43 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  But the old Metro never sponsored football, it was a bball league as far as I recall. Not sure what USM football had to do with that.

Blame "Go-to-Hell" Schnellenberger and Bobby Bowden for that...

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - RockTheRock - 03-16-2016 08:55 AM

(03-15-2016 08:26 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  again, just flat out amazing how our football program got us 'that' invite....
Football had little if anything to do with us getting into the Metro. We got invited because, in 1981, our AD Roland Dale was well acquainted with Tulane AD Hindman Wall- there's a more colorful story behind it. Florida State stopped football in the Metro in those days.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - BKTopper - 03-16-2016 10:26 AM

You must not read the mountain west board... they put us to shame. Talking about airport meetings, getting AAC/Big 12 invites. I feel like the gettin's not as good over there as it was 7 years ago...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Afflicted - 03-16-2016 10:43 AM

If USM goes to the AAC, then Rice and UTEP are headed to the MWC.