CSNbbs
Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? (/thread-773809.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - techdawg88 - 03-16-2016 11:12 PM

if UAB currently had a football team that played, I think the AAC would give them a look before anyone else in CUSA

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Niner National - 03-16-2016 11:28 PM

(03-16-2016 11:12 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  if UAB currently had a football team that played, I think the AAC would give them a look before anyone else in CUSA

I don't simply because they still don't have control of their own affairs. A conference would likely be scared that UAB's football could be ripped away at any moment.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - demiveeman - 03-17-2016 12:17 AM

(03-16-2016 11:28 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:12 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  if UAB currently had a football team that played, I think the AAC would give them a look before anyone else in CUSA

I don't simply because they still don't have control of their own affairs. A conference would likely be scared that UAB's football could be ripped away at any moment.

Agreed.

We need permanent facilities and a long-term lease at a stadium.

Both of those would need to be in place first (which is what the next step for us is).

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - MinerInWisconsin - 03-17-2016 07:19 AM

(03-16-2016 07:56 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 06:10 PM)monarx Wrote:  Its possible that the AAC could take Air Force when one of the big basketball schools gets poached from them, opening a spot for UTEP. At that point just sit tight and don't add anyone.

Air Force is a tough get being that, unlike Navy, they're already in an all-sports conference. They're not going to going trade their cozy relationship with Colorado State & Wyoming to go it alone in the AAC or go AAC football-only and who-knows-what in other sports. The MWC certainly isn't going to let them just park their other sports there.

Unless the AAC is willing and has room to take all 3 Front Range schools, it won't get any of them

I disagree with that. AFA may well stay long term in the MWC but they were interested at one point in going to the AAC. They could go alone or with Colorado St. They can always play the other front range schools OOC if they want to continue those relationships.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Afflicted - 03-17-2016 08:11 AM

(03-17-2016 07:19 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 06:10 PM)monarx Wrote:  Its possible that the AAC could take Air Force when one of the big basketball schools gets poached from them, opening a spot for UTEP. At that point just sit tight and don't add anyone.

Air Force is a tough get being that, unlike Navy, they're already in an all-sports conference. They're not going to going trade their cozy relationship with Colorado State & Wyoming to go it alone in the AAC or go AAC football-only and who-knows-what in other sports. The MWC certainly isn't going to let them just park their other sports there.

Unless the AAC is willing and has room to take all 3 Front Range schools, it won't get any of them

I disagree with that. AFA may well stay long term in the MWC but they were interested at one point in going to the AAC. They could go alone or with Colorado St. They can always play the other front range schools OOC if they want to continue those relationships.

I don't see Air Force leaving their rivalries behind in the MWC for an unstable situation in the AAC. I don't think the AAC has a prayer of adding anyone from the MWC. The MWC is one of the best G5s. None of it's members are going to leave unless it's to a P5 conference. As a matter of fact, if BYU doesn't get into the B12, I'm certain they end up back in the MWC.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - pilot172000 - 03-17-2016 08:17 AM

They were interested when it was the called the Big East and a BCS conference.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - monarx - 03-17-2016 08:36 AM

Must be nice to be in a conference where everyone is happy and stable. Sure anyone would jump at a chance to get all the P5 money, but otherwise it seems the MWC and the MAC are rather secure. The AAC, CUSA and SB is where all the turmoil is, largely because we all overlap each others geographic strongholds in addition to fighting with the ACC, Big 10, SEC, B12. That hurts all of us and no one area can be considered "CUSA territory, or "AAC territory" etc. I also assume it hurts with our secondary media opportunities because there is less incentive for a regional network to carry our sports. For example, if all of the mid-atlantic teams consolidated there would be a great chance for every football or basketball game not shown nationally to be carried on MASN or MASN2.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - MinerInWisconsin - 03-17-2016 09:00 AM

(03-17-2016 08:36 AM)monarx Wrote:  Must be nice to be in a conference where everyone is happy and stable. Sure anyone would jump at a chance to get all the P5 money, but otherwise it seems the MWC and the MAC are rather secure. The AAC, CUSA and SB is where all the turmoil is, largely because we all overlap each others geographic strongholds in addition to fighting with the ACC, Big 10, SEC, B12. That hurts all of us and no one area can be considered "CUSA territory, or "AAC territory" etc. I also assume it hurts with our secondary media opportunities because there is less incentive for a regional network to carry our sports. For example, if all of the mid-atlantic teams consolidated there would be a great chance for every football or basketball game not shown nationally to be carried on MASN or MASN2.

Not a bad idea. Each region of schools should look into media deals like that. In the southwest it could be FSSW or Root or Comcast regional outlets.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - MinerInWisconsin - 03-17-2016 09:05 AM

(03-17-2016 08:17 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  

The AFA AD at the time thought that their non-FB sports were overmatched in the MWC and turned down inquiries from the Big 12 for FB due to his belief that the AFA could not be competitive. He really wanted the AFA, Navy and Army in the same FB conference. Different AD now at the AFA. I'll try to find his comment on the BCS factor, which he indicated was not important to him.

2011 AFA article

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Afflicted - 03-17-2016 09:38 AM

(03-17-2016 08:36 AM)monarx Wrote:  Must be nice to be in a conference where everyone is happy and stable. Sure anyone would jump at a chance to get all the P5 money, but otherwise it seems the MWC and the MAC are rather secure. The AAC, CUSA and SB is where all the turmoil is, largely because we all overlap each others geographic strongholds in addition to fighting with the ACC, Big 10, SEC, B12. That hurts all of us and no one area can be considered "CUSA territory, or "AAC territory" etc. I also assume it hurts with our secondary media opportunities because there is less incentive for a regional network to carry our sports. For example, if all of the mid-atlantic teams consolidated there would be a great chance for every football or basketball game not shown nationally to be carried on MASN or MASN2.

Absolutely. What's left of the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt should organize itself along geographic lines. We don't have the money to travel all over the country, and crossover games are terrible for fan interest anyway. No one in Houston cares anything about CUSA East members, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. If all the conferences I mentioned above merged, you'd have three conferences with about 11 members each. Each member would be within driving distance of all the others within it's conference. It makes so much sense that it'll never happen. Egos will prevail. Louisiana Tech will always feel that it's too good for ULL. SMU will always feel that it's too good for North Texas. I could go on and on and on.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - usm99 - 03-17-2016 09:44 AM

(03-17-2016 12:17 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  

Agreed.

Both of those would need to be in place first (which is what the next step for us is).

We could play the "if" game all day long but agreed that if UAB prez didn't do what he did then UAB would be the topic of conversation here instead of USM. What he did set UAB back way more than what Eloss Johnson and Donnie Tyndall did at USM.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - AndreWhere - 03-17-2016 02:57 PM

(03-17-2016 09:44 AM)usm99 Wrote:  

Agreed.

We could play the "if" game all day long but agreed that if UAB prez didn't do what he did then UAB would be the topic of conversation here instead of USM. What he did set UAB back way more than what Eloss Johnson and Donnie Tyndall did at USM.

LOL really? UAB?

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - hooverblazer - 03-17-2016 03:17 PM

Agreed.

Rumor is the city is close to announcing a new 45k seat stadium next to the BJCC in which we would be the primary tenant. As long as that doesn't fall through, a brand new stadium and the new practice facilities we have on the way may start getting us in the conversation. That's my hope at least.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Orange County Owl - 03-17-2016 04:39 PM

(03-17-2016 09:38 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  I could go on and on and on.

And you do ...

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Ace Barker - 03-17-2016 10:31 PM

Birmingham-Southern to go to FBS. Go Panthers! Stadium expansion will be underway.

:-)

Ace...

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - MinerInWisconsin - 03-18-2016 09:00 AM

(03-17-2016 03:17 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

Agreed.

Rumor is the city is close to announcing a new 45k seat stadium next to the BJCC in which we would be the primary tenant. As long as that doesn't fall through, a brand new stadium and the new practice facilities we have on the way may start getting us in the conversation. That's my hope at least.

Since it now appears that the Big 12 is putting on the brakes concerning expansion and may wait a year or so to come to a decision, I could see the resurgent Blazer program getting consideration from the AAC ahead of a number of C-USA schools. Birmingham may just go nuts, finally, for Blazer football and we all know Birmingham is a highly rated college football town.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - gulfcoastgal - 03-18-2016 12:10 PM

^ Agreed. UAB has lots of good things going for it and seems to be at the tipping point. Will it survive and thrive? The Big 12 seemingly dragging its feet is a good thing for schools like UAB and others in the AAC looking to make the P5 jump (more time to prove themselves). According to the numbers ASN released a year ago (albeit impressions vs. eyeballs), UAB is an asset to any conference.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Thegoldstandard - 03-18-2016 12:10 PM

(03-18-2016 09:00 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:28 PM)Niner National Wrote:  I don't simply because they still don't have control of their own affairs. A conference would likely be scared that UAB's football could be ripped away at any moment.

Agreed.

Since it now appears that the Big 12 is putting on the brakes concerning expansion and may wait a year or so to come to a decision, I could see the resurgent Blazer program getting consideration from the AAC ahead of a number of C-USA schools. Birmingham may just go nuts, finally, for Blazer football and we all know Birmingham is a highly rated college football town.
They wont wait a year. Maybe like 2 months.

Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - HarborPointe - 03-18-2016 12:14 PM

(03-17-2016 09:05 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(03-17-2016 08:17 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  

The AFA AD at the time thought that their non-FB sports were overmatched in the MWC and turned down inquiries from the Big 12 for FB due to his belief that the AFA could not be competitive. He really wanted the AFA, Navy and Army in the same FB conference. Different AD now at the AFA. I'll try to find his comment on the BCS factor, which he indicated was not important to him.

2011 AFA article

Very little that was said 5 years ago can safely be assumed to still be true today. The Big East is no more, the MWC is more stable, football has both a playoff and a new revenue distribution model that goes with it, and the P5/G5 division is officially a thing.

While all that was still being settled, everyone was interested in everything at some point. For a while there, people honestly believed Boise State was going be in the same conference as Georgetown, for heaven's sake.

RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC? - Attackcoog - 03-18-2016 03:43 PM

(03-18-2016 12:10 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(03-18-2016 09:00 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(03-17-2016 12:17 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  Agreed.

They wont wait a year. Maybe like 2 months.

That would still probably be just enough delay to push the actual transfer of schools back an extra year because of the timing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that spring Big 12 meeting.