CSNbbs
The case against suit cases - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The case against suit cases (/thread-789285.html)

The case against suit cases - billybobby777 - 09-02-2016 02:42 PM

I prefer an Army ruck sack or even my old Army duffle to carry my gear.
Cheers!

RE: The case against suit cases - 00yyz - 09-02-2016 05:51 PM

But suitcases have a larger population base and a hugher transaction price so thet are definately in above the duffle and ruck...

RE: The case against suit cases - CameramanJ - 09-02-2016 06:20 PM

I find that the handles and straps of duffles and rucksacks are less likely to break off or otherwise malfunction than briefcase handles. The rigidity and hard-shell qualities of the common briefcase do lend themselves well to many areas of the business world, however. I prefer not to use them unless I absolutely have to.

RE: The case against suit cases - PirateTreasureNC - 09-02-2016 06:46 PM

Depends on trip needs. 3 Day weekend you could get by on a duffle bag--week long trip you might need that suitcase.

RE: The case against suit cases - CameramanJ - 09-02-2016 07:01 PM

Wow, I need to pay more attention to thread titles. Duffles and rucks definitely trump hardshell suitcases for common short-term usage. If there's anything fragile then the hardshell suitcase is the way to go regardless of odd sizing inconvenience.

RE: The case against suit cases - billybobby777 - 09-02-2016 08:25 PM

(09-02-2016 07:01 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  Wow, I need to pay more attention to thread titles. Duffles and rucks definitely trump hardshell suitcases for common short-term usage. If there's anything fragile then the hardshell suitcase is the way to go regardless of odd sizing inconvenience.

You do make a good point on the fragiles.
Cheers!

RE: The case against suit cases - Hokie Mark - 09-03-2016 06:23 AM

Has anyone pointed out that in a pinch a duffle bag full of clothes can double as a pillow...?

RE: The case against suit cases - Lush - 09-03-2016 08:40 AM

i've been thinking about suitcases recently. i've been using my backpacking backpacks. i've got a 5300 cubic incher and a 3800. i think i might devote them to backpacking exclusively as i might be a bit too old to be traveling like a twenty something wanna be world adventurer. i've seen couples in their 60's with giant packs on in the airport and they look like tools. but i shouldn't be worried about how society perceives me because f*ck society. i'll probably stick with the backpack since it's so much more safe and convenient. maybe i already look like a tool

edit: good topic

RE: The case against suit cases - billybobby777 - 09-03-2016 10:24 AM

(09-03-2016 06:23 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Has anyone pointed out that in a pinch a duffle bag full of clothes can double as a pillow...?

Great point Hokie! Why can't we be friends?
Cheers!

RE: The case against suit cases - GrayBeard - 09-06-2016 10:14 AM

I have a 1.5 week business trip coming up...overseas...would a rucksack or duffel work for me? Since I will need a couple of suits, I think not, but would listen to suggestions...

RE: The case against suit cases - GrayBeard - 09-06-2016 10:17 AM

I agree, this is a good topic. The more I travel, the more frustrated I become with luggage in general.

RE: The case against suit cases - CameramanJ - 09-06-2016 11:24 AM

I would go hardshell purely for maintaining the condition of the suit and other business attire, especially considering the rigors of overseas travel. The condition of the suit is often one of the first things boardroom types take notice of in my observation

RE: The case against suit cases - Brookes Owl - 09-06-2016 01:24 PM

(09-06-2016 11:24 AM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I would go hardshell purely for maintaining the condition of the suit and other business attire, especially considering the rigors of overseas travel. The condition of the suit is often one of the first things boardroom types take notice of in my observation

Right: Duffel for vacation, hard (or at least structured) for business. Unless there's some technique I don't know for keeping clothes in a duffel from looking like I slept in them.

RE: The case against suit cases - billybobby777 - 09-06-2016 04:43 PM

(09-06-2016 01:24 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 11:24 AM)CameramanJ Wrote:  I would go hardshell purely for maintaining the condition of the suit and other business attire, especially considering the rigors of overseas travel. The condition of the suit is often one of the first things boardroom types take notice of in my observation

Right: Duffel for vacation, hard (or at least structured) for business. Unless there's some technique I don't know for keeping clothes in a duffel from looking like I slept in them.

There really isn't. They are awesome UNLESS your packing a suit. Suits are a no go.
Cheers!

RE: The case against suit cases - boroeagle2 - 09-07-2016 08:14 AM

(09-03-2016 08:40 AM)Lush Wrote:  i've seen couples in their 60's with giant packs on in the airport and they look like tools.
This is my dad. We traveled as a family this summer, and he had this giant duffel bag, that in no way fits the carry-on size requirements--but he swears up and down that it does, he's knocking people out of the way with it, taking up half of the overhead compartment, and looking like a complete *******, but he'll be damned if he'll pay $25 for a checked bag. Add in the fact that he makes my mom pack the same kind of bag, and she won't be toting it through the airport trying to make a connection, so he's got 2 of the damn things. I just tried to act like I didn't know them. LOL

RE: The case against suit cases - boroeagle2 - 09-07-2016 08:16 AM

You should check youtube, I think I've seen a little video describing how to pack nice clothes without getting them wrinkled up, I think it involves rolling them, but I don't remember the details.

RE: The case against suit cases - Brookes Owl - 09-07-2016 09:20 AM

(09-07-2016 08:16 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  

You should check youtube, I think I've seen a little video describing how to pack nice clothes without getting them wrinkled up, I think it involves rolling them, but I don't remember the details.

Yeah, rolling is ok for casual clothes: jeans, soft cotton shirts, etc. You can't roll up dress clothes and expect them to look like nice when unrolled. Well, I can't.

The case against suit cases - vandiver49 - 09-11-2016 06:51 PM

(09-02-2016 02:42 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I prefer an Army ruck sack or even my old Army duffle to carry my gear.
Cheers!

I'm a fan of the seabag as well