CSNbbs
SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-738.html)
+----- Thread: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News (/thread-793244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - sfink16 - 10-03-2016 09:02 PM

I'm sorry, but I completely stopped watching the NFL after the Kaepernick debacle. My cousin offered me free tickets to an Eagles game later this year, which I will politely decline.

I refuse to support such disrespect for our heroes of our nation. Protesting wrongs are both welcomed and encouraged but there are better ways to protest, ways that don't hurt the vets who fought and died for our country.

Anyone remember Pat Tillman? How do you think he would feel about what has happened?

I can only hope that the counter protest of this particular action grow faster then the protest themselves.

http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/dailyclips/blog/2016/10/03/ecu-band-booed-for-taking-knee-during-national-anthem-time-warner-cable-news/

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - NTTHOR - 10-03-2016 10:03 PM

I don't disagree with you, but who is to say what is the right or wrong way to protest?

I find what the sf qb, fb players, and band members deplorable, but it is their right

It's also the companies right to punish those as they see fit due to negative backlash to their companies

Everyone has freedom of speech, but not freedom from consequences

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - sfink16 - 10-03-2016 10:22 PM

(10-03-2016 10:03 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  I don't disagree with you, but who is to say what is the right or wrong way to protest?

I find what the sf qb, fb players, and band members deplorable, but it is their right

It's also the companies right to punish those as they see fit due to negative backlash to their companies

Well said!

I did neglect to discuss freedom of speech, and certainly agree with freedom of speech. Unfortunately most of us only like the free speech that we agree with, human nature I guess. Free speech can be a fine line. Falsely yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theater is free speech but dangerous and is against the law.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - shere khan - 10-03-2016 10:27 PM

(10-03-2016 10:22 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 10:03 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  I don't disagree with you, but who is to say what is the right or wrong way to protest?

Well said!

I did neglect to discuss freedom of speech, and certainly agree with freedom of speech. Unfortunately most of us only like the free speech that we agree with, human nature I guess. Free speech can be a fine line. Falsely yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theater is free speech but dangerous and is against the law.

Is it legal to yell movie theater at a fire? So it's not really just speech at that point, is it. Hehe

Anyone can say what is the right or wrong way to protest. That's free speech too

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - sfink16 - 10-04-2016 08:07 AM

(10-03-2016 10:27 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 10:22 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  

Well said!

Is it legal to yell movie theater at a fire? So it's not really just speech at that point, is it. Hehe

Anyone can say what is the right or wrong way to protest. That's free speech too

Why do you think so many people booed at the "free speech" action? Hurtful speech is not acceptable to those that the free speech hurts. No group demonstrates hurtful speech more then the Westboro Baptist Church. If you are the target of their hateful/hurtful speech you might think differently.

Some countries block free speech altogether. In Germany citizens cannot have speech that denies the Holocaust. Try speaking out against dictator Kim Jong-Um in North Korea within the country. It would be a short lived protest.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - SublimeKnight - 10-04-2016 08:19 AM

Let's start with this.
The right way: On your own time / dollar
The wrong way: On someone else's time / dollar

To be clear, I'm fine with what Colin did from a "it's a free country, you're free to be a dummy" perspective. The band kids didn't do their job.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - SublimeKnight - 10-04-2016 08:23 AM

I do feel bad for the band members, here's an interview with one of them:

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - goodknightfl - 10-04-2016 08:25 AM

They have the right to protest, and we have the right to protest that protest. Those on scholarship who were involved should lose those scholarships. Not be kicked out of school, but loose the free ride.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - sfink16 - 10-04-2016 08:32 AM

(10-03-2016 10:27 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Is it legal to yell movie theater at a fire? So it's not really just speech at that point, is it. Hehe

But not everyone has free speech today. If you disagree with the perceived wrong side of the argument, you may meet up with violence, see link below. Yep, Blue Lives do matter, along with Black Lives and All Lives. What's wrong with saying Blue Lives Matter?

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33299599/mother-of-sylacauga-hs-student-says-assault-could-have-been-prevented

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - firmbizzle - 10-04-2016 08:34 AM

(10-03-2016 09:02 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I completely stopped watching the NFL after the Kaepernick debacle. My cousin offered me free tickets to an Eagles game later this year, which I will politely decline.

I refuse to support such disrespect for our heroes of our nation. Protesting wrongs are both welcomed and encouraged but there are better ways to protest, ways that don't hurt the vets who fought and died for our country.

Anyone remember Pat Tillman? How do you think he would feel about what has happened?

I can only hope that the counter protest of this particular action grow faster then the protest themselves.

http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/dailyclips/blog/2016/10/03/ecu-band-booed-for-taking-knee-during-national-anthem-time-warner-cable-news/

Oh, get over yourself! This is a free country. It doesn't matter if you stand, sit, kneel or **** during the anthem. I hope that you are standing every time you watch a sporting event on your couch (probably not). I hope that you voice your opinion to everyone at a game who talks during the anthem(probably not). By the way, the NFL just started making players line up for the anthem a few years ago. Your favorite college team, Temple, still doesn't stand for the anthem. I hope that your hypocritical @ss boycotts them this weekend.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - uhmump95 - 10-04-2016 08:35 AM

(10-04-2016 08:25 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  They have the right to protest, and we have the right to protest that protest. Those on scholarship who were involved should lose those scholarships. Not be kicked out of school, but loose the free ride.
Is there anything in the school code of conduct that says they have to stand during the national anthem? If not, there is no reason they should lose their scholarship.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - sfink16 - 10-04-2016 08:46 AM

(10-04-2016 08:34 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Oh, get over yourself! This is a free country. It doesn't matter if you stand, sit, kneel or **** during the anthem. I hope that you are standing every time you watch a sporting event on your couch (probably not). I hope that you voice your opinion to everyone at a game who talks during the anthem(probably not). By the way, the NFL just started making players line up for the anthem a few years ago. Your favorite college team, Temple, still doesn't stand for the anthem. I hope that your hypocritical @ss boycotts them this weekend.

Uh, no it's not a free country. We have book bannings on subjects of those who disagree with the material in the books, see link below. Free countries allow both sides of the argument to be heard, not one side. It's easy to win arguments when you eliminate the opposition.

http://portlandtribune.com/sl/307848-185832-portland-school-board-bans-climate-change-denying-materials

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - SublimeKnight - 10-04-2016 08:56 AM

(10-04-2016 08:35 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 08:25 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  They have the right to protest, and we have the right to protest that protest. Those on scholarship who were involved should lose those scholarships. Not be kicked out of school, but loose the free ride.
Is there anything in the school code of conduct that says they have to stand during the national anthem? If not, there is no reason they should lose their scholarship.

Did they play their instruments? Did they follow the formation they were supposed to?

These are things a scholarship band member is expected to do in exchange for their scholarship.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - Bear - 10-04-2016 09:04 AM

Good job on the ECU band

It's funny what people choose to get upset about

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - firmbizzle - 10-04-2016 09:12 AM

(10-04-2016 09:04 AM)Bear Wrote:  Good job on the ECU band

It's funny what people choose to get upset about

I know right. These made up controversies are getting old.

SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - PurpleReigns - 10-04-2016 09:32 AM

(10-04-2016 08:56 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

Did they play their instruments? Did they follow the formation they were supposed to?

These are things a scholarship band member is expected to do in exchange for their scholarship.

And yet none of them get scholarships...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - firmbizzle - 10-04-2016 09:34 AM

(10-04-2016 09:32 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

Epic Mind Blown

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - 8BitPirate - 10-04-2016 09:34 AM

Video so you can hear the boos! http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2016/10/2/ecu-fans-react-to-band-being-booed-saturday.html

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - SublimeKnight - 10-04-2016 09:41 AM

(10-04-2016 09:32 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

If they're not on scholarship, I no longer care. Let the band director deal with them.

RE: SOT: ECU Band Booed for Taking Knee During National Anthem | Time Warner Cable News - nastar36 - 10-04-2016 10:37 AM

(10-03-2016 09:02 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I completely stopped watching the NFL after the Kaepernick debacle. My cousin offered me free tickets to an Eagles game later this year, which I will politely decline.

I agree and also refuse to watch an NFL game. Being disrespectful to our military and our country should never be encouraged or supported.