CSNbbs
Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big10bbs (/forum-259.html)
+---- Forum: Big 10 Conference Talk (/forum-167.html)
+---- Thread: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach (/thread-794792.html)

Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - Transic_nyc - 10-16-2016 07:34 PM

http://wlfi.com/2016/10/16/darrell-hazell-out-as-purdue-football-coach/

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - TerpsNPhoenix - 10-16-2016 07:44 PM

So just saw this tweet from Dan Wolken.

Pretty much every assistant at Ohio State and some at Michigan are likely to be candidates for Purdue, I’m told.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - GE and MTS - 10-16-2016 08:36 PM

No surprise here. Just wasn't making progress fast enough.

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - lance99 - 10-16-2016 08:58 PM

As a MAC guy, I saw this coming for a while.

Purdue is a Death Sentence for Coaches who go there07-coffee3

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - ohio1317 - 10-16-2016 10:43 PM

He's been living on borrowed time.

Purdue has become a tough place. It really wasn't all that long ago, that you had solid teams at Purdue and you go back a bit more than a decade that meant a couple that were decently ranked. They are sharing a small recruiting state with 2 other programs though (both bigger names, even if Indiana is only bigger for basketball) and slipped far enough that coming back will not be as easy task. Further, coaches know it is an uphill battle which probably makes getting good coaches a bit harder.

That said, they get the right hire and they will definitely improve.

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - tcufrog86 - 10-17-2016 09:04 AM

I'd be making one of my first calls to PJ Fleck if I were Purdue...young coach and has landed the top recruiting class in the MAC for 3 straight years now. Has WMU in top 25 for I think first time ever.

Les Miles would also be interesting.

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - TerpsNPhoenix - 10-17-2016 10:10 AM

(10-17-2016 09:04 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  I'd be making one of my first calls to PJ Fleck if I were Purdue...young coach and has landed the top recruiting class in the MAC for 3 straight years now. Has WMU in top 25 for I think first time ever.

Les Miles would also be interesting.
Think Pudue may be a bit shy on that approach. What you're describing is very similar to what Hazell was before he was hired at Purdue. I think Less Miles would be a FANTASTIC hire for them but he will have many more appealing options. They are going to have to pay, and pay well whoever they do hire. I am kind of expecting a retread. A current assistant coach that has some P5 HC experience. I think Schiano has been listed and that would work, or someone in that mold. I don't know if they go for an OC or DC. Maybe OC with a fun offense to liven things up in West Lafayette. Show recruits they really mean business and they aren't doing just the bare minimum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - TerpsNPhoenix - 10-17-2016 06:16 PM

Last year we had a bunch of hirings/firings so a whole coaching search thread made sense. But not this year. Purdue is likely the only B1G job that comes open. So I'm just going to use this tread for Purdue hiring news.

From coaching search:

Purdue: CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd writes that Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun “would be interested” in the Purdue job.

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - RutgersGuy - 10-18-2016 01:43 PM

Called it before the season started that he'd be fired before Halloween. 07-coffee3

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - brista21 - 10-18-2016 01:48 PM

(10-18-2016 01:43 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Called it before the season started that he'd be fired before Halloween. 07-coffee3

Yup. The firing didn't come as a giant shock to say the least...

RE: Darrell Hazell out as Purdue football coach - DexterDevil - 10-18-2016 10:47 PM

For selfish reasons I want Fleck to go to Purdue.