CSNbbs
Jim Comey - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-977.html)
+------ Thread: Jim Comey (/thread-817525.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jim Comey - Tribeheart - 05-10-2017 07:09 PM

I, for one, wanted to express my thanks, appreciation and respect to Jim Comey for his service and actions over the years in Washington.

Have always felt strongly that my fellow Tribe students/alum, to a person, were always top drawer and the best of the best for integrity, and believe Jim Comey has continued to carry and represent well that Tribe character in his leadership positions.

Best wishes, Director Comey. You sure have my respect and support as a member of the Tribe Family.

Public service may still weigh heavy in his personal mission, or private financial opportunities, but maybe the timing will open the possibility of throwing his hat in the replacement ring for Taylor Reveley. Would make a great choice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Jim Comey - nj alum - 05-11-2017 06:37 AM

Comey for Reveley? That is an interesting thought. If Mitch Daniels can do a great job at Purdue, there's no reason that Comey can't do a great job at W&M.

However, if Comey is another Nichol, no thanks!

Jim Comey - Tribeheart - 05-11-2017 09:43 AM

Unlike Daniels, he does at least have some academia background, as an adjunct professor at UR's law school and a research scholar and fellow at Columbia's law school, and Comey didn't appoint the board. Recognize Comey is an independent leader, but don't think there is a shred of background to see any similarities with Nichol. After all, they are a W&M family.

And besides, he could fill in as a post player in MBB practice, until we find his replacement.

Jim Comey - Tribeheart - 10-31-2017 08:48 AM

Tribe too much in the news these days for the wrong reasons. Rick Gates scenario unsettling for my naive W&M good guy beliefs....

RE: Jim Comey - nogretheogre - 10-31-2017 09:44 AM

Does Rick Gates have anything to do with Comey or William and Mary?

Jim Comey - tribetime10 - 10-31-2017 10:17 AM

(10-31-2017 09:44 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Does Rick Gates have anything to do with Comey or William and Mary?

Gates (Rick, not Robert) was indicted yesterday. He’s a 1994 W&M grad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Jim Comey - SoCal Frank - 11-02-2017 06:47 PM

Whatever he picked up in Williamsburg he got connected in DC. I wonder how much he given back to the college? TR's replacement has been anointed He's currently on campus. Tony Podesta is looking for a job; why not throw his name in the ring?

RE: Jim Comey - Sitting bull - 01-20-2018 10:19 AM

According to RTD (maybe it was leaked), W&M is hiring Jim Comey to teach a class, of all things, in "Ethical Leadership".

What a joke. The College would be wise to stay well away from this man, alum or not.

RE: Jim Comey - mrjoolius - 01-20-2018 04:19 PM

(01-20-2018 10:19 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  According to RTD (maybe it was leaked), W&M is hiring Jim Comey to teach a class, of all things, in "Ethical Leadership".

What a joke. The College would be wise to stay well away from this man, alum or not.
OK, I'll take the bait.

I don't follow politics particularly closely, but I don't see the issue. His smearing feels orchestrated by political interests. Looking at social media, the trump armies and spambots keep pushing for some mythical bombshell memo that will put Comey, Clinton, and every liberal in prison. I looked for more on this damning memo and every respectable media outlet says there is nothing to it. The only thing we know for certain is, right or wrong, that he stood up to a president that he felt was ethically wrong. He paid the price by losing his job. So, who better to teach it than a son of the college and someone forced to interpret ethics at the highest level?

If I'm wrong and the memo puts him in prison, it will happen before he teaches his 1st class. I look at it as a wonderful opportunity for college students to learn from someone freshly in the highest circles of government and leadership.

RE: Jim Comey - tribetime10 - 01-20-2018 08:30 PM

(01-20-2018 04:19 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 10:19 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  According to RTD (maybe it was leaked), W&M is hiring Jim Comey to teach a class, of all things, in "Ethical Leadership".

OK, I'll take the bait.

I don't follow politics particularly closely, but I don't see the issue. His smearing feels orchestrated by political interests. Looking at social media, the trump armies and spambots keep pushing for some mythical bombshell memo that will put Comey, Clinton, and every liberal in prison. I looked for more on this damning memo and every respectable media outlet says there is nothing to it. The only thing we know for certain is, right or wrong, that he stood up to a president that he felt was ethically wrong. He paid the price by losing his job. So, who better to teach it than a son of the college and someone forced to interpret ethics at the highest level?

Agreed. This is good for the College.

RE: Jim Comey - Sitting bull - 01-21-2018 02:09 PM

Well, let's hope you are both right. I prefer to root for W&M alums.

My issue is we already know he leaked multiple times. He admitted as such. We also know, while you note his nobility for standing up to one President, he actually caved to the other. Neither demonstrates someone standing on an "ethical" soapbox to me. As far as leadership, a number of sleezy happenings have already been made public among a few working directly below him. And if you believe multiple sources, his reopening of the bungled wordsmithing on the private email server, was a result of the anger among many of his rank and file. Not sure they would buy into the title either.

Let's hope nothing more nefarious comes out - otherwise we might as well hire Elizabeth Warren as well to teach Native American History.

RE: Jim Comey - mrjoolius - 01-21-2018 09:02 PM

I guess for me it boils down to, regardless if you like his actions or not, he is a wealth of information at the highest level of government. If you are interested in that field, why would you not want to learn from him regardless of your politics? Benefit from his experience and learn from his mistakes. No other university can boast such a resource. He is convicted of nothing. He has been charged with nothing. If formal charges are made than maybe I'll change my stance. Otherwise, it smells of political grandstanding.

RE: Jim Comey - SoCal Frank - 01-23-2018 09:45 PM

This will go down as one of the biggest blunders from Wm and Mary management in recent history. The financial losses, I’m good for 450k, will be severe. It’s all self inflicted. That’s the shame. I’m still good for specific efforts under the Tribe umbrella, spelled out in a letter to TR. The big picture, forget it.

RE: Jim Comey - WMInTheBurg - 01-23-2018 10:10 PM

Frame it how you want, Frank. Your feelings on this are about you, not W&M. Mr. J has it right.

RE: Jim Comey - nj alum - 01-23-2018 11:19 PM

I disagree with Mr. J.

If you rely on the usual media outlets, you live in one universe. This universe says that Trump colluded with the Russians.

If you rely on the non-traditional media outlets, you live in another universe. This universe says that high leadership in the DOJ/FBI covered for Clinton re: the e-mails, then pivoted and created the Russian collusion story, and then pivoted again to be part of the special counsel team investigating Trump ... not as a sword against Trump, but as a shield against what had occurred previously. This universe says that there is a damning House committee memo that is set to be released. This universe says that there is a damning IG report about to be released. This universe tonight says Jim Comey is now asserting attorney-client privilege for the classified memos that he leaked through a friend when he was fired. Ironically, while not a part of this universe, the Wall Street Journal had a hard-hitting editorial today as to why W&M's decision was not a sound decision.

This was not a good decision. This was not a well-thought out decision.

Isn't there anybody at W&M who has knowledge of both universes who could have said ... hey ... wait a minute ... this is a fluid situation ... it needs to develop more before we move forward on this?

If you want to educate yourself, start here:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/01/23/digenova_a_brazen_plot_inside_fbi_to_exonerate_clinton_frame_trump.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepMarkMeadows/status/956008110270877696

How about raw FISA data being in the hands of contractors, and an 85% non-compliance rate re: FISA inquiries (pages 81 and 82):

https://www.scribd.com/document/349261099/2016-Cert-FISC-Memo-Opin-Order-Apr-2017-4#from_embed

RE: Jim Comey - WMInTheBurg - 01-24-2018 12:30 AM

(01-23-2018 11:19 PM)nj alum Wrote:  I disagree with Mr. J.

If you rely on the usual media outlets, you live in one universe. This universe says that Trump colluded with the Russians.

If you rely on the non-traditional media outlets, you live in another universe.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/01/23/digenova_a_brazen_plot_inside_fbi_to_exonerate_clinton_frame_trump.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepMarkMeadows/status/956008110270877696

How about raw FISA data being in the hands of contractors, and an 85% non-compliance rate re: FISA inquiries (pages 81 and 82):

https://www.scribd.com/document/349261099/2016-Cert-FISC-Memo-Opin-Order-Apr-2017-4#from_embed

You linked a Fox News video that was aggregated by RealClearPolitics, a thread from a Republican Representative about a story only getting play on Fox News (based on looking at news stories aggregated by RealClearPolitics), and something that I'm not reading 82 pages of to find out it's about Fox News. I will grant you that Fox News is non-traditional, although I think that's where our agreement would end.

RE: Jim Comey - nj alum - 01-24-2018 07:29 AM

I am not going to get into a political back and forth with you.

The first link is an interview with Joe DiGenova. His firm represents the FBI Uranium One whistleblower. You can read it, or ignore it ... your choice.

The second link is the Twitter account of a Republican member of the US House of Representatives who has seen, and read, "the memo". You can read it, or ignore it ... your choice.

The third link is a declassified FISA court opinion. I didn't ask you to read 90 pages. I just pointed out where the relevant information was. You can read it, or ignore it ... your choice.

As for a story only getting play on one network-

One universe says that there is no story because the usual media isn't covering the story.

In the other universe, journalists were paid to push the Russian collusion story, and are complicit in keeping the lid on what has occurred.

Finally, as you contemplate the veracity of the other universe, just remember that you come to this site to get information about W&M that is usually not put out by the usual media, or the usual media arrives late to the game. In some respects, this site is part of that other universe. You're here. You read stuff here. You believe some stuff here. You don't believe some stuff here. Regardless, you're better informed because you do come to this site.

I have my own opinions on this stuff. I'm not going to get into them. However, I consider all of you to be good, decent people, and that all of you think that more knowledge isn't a bad thing.

If the College was fully aware of what is out there, the College would have held off on this decision. The question in my mind is why it didn't.

RE: Jim Comey - nj alum - 01-24-2018 07:43 AM

Here's another link, posted last night at 9:37 pm:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/23/evidence-suggests-a-massive-scandal-is-brewing-at-the-fbi/

And, no, I didn't write this column, and I didn't see it before I wrote the above, but it basically says everything that I wrote above.

This story is on Fox, and is in the New York Post.

It's only a matter of time before it's in the Times and Post.

You can read it ... or ignore it.

RE: Jim Comey - nj alum - 01-24-2018 07:57 AM

Here's a fifth link, posted this morning:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/370412-gop-feud-with-fbi-ratchets-up

In the one universe, it's a feud.

In the other universe, it's a scandal.

Time will tell.

But as pointed out above by Frank, this was a self-inflicted move by the College, either ignorant of what is out there, or purposefully moving forward despite what is out there. Neither scenario is good.

Okay, I've done my best to educate. Off to work!

RE: Jim Comey - nogretheogre - 01-24-2018 09:25 AM

I think the bottom line is that, regardless of your view of the situation, there was no need to make this decision now. The investigation is seemingly coming to a head and there will likely be much made public in the near future. Why couldnt WM wait? We are Comey's alma mater. You'd think he would pick us over another institution if offered. Perhaps simple discussions alone about this position should have occurred, with the course tentatively to begin in 2020 or something.

WM has a diverse base of donors, some of which I am sure are deeply conservative (see: Gene Nichol). There is no need to push the envelope unless there is evidence of way more $$$ coming from the liberal side...