CSNbbs
The Phil Steele Power Poll - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Tulsa (/forum-436.html)
+------ Forum: Tulsa Football (/forum-433.html)
+------ Thread: The Phil Steele Power Poll (/thread-822769.html)

The Phil Steele Power Poll - rabidTU2 - 07-27-2017 10:38 AM

I'm obviously a big fan of PSCFBM and rely on it a great deal before and during the season to get the mountain of information on CFB it gives. And there is also the "Power Poll" - a ranking of CFB from top to bottom - all 130 DI CFB teams - best to worst. If you are stupid you can take this poll and try to morph it into a way of predicting wins and losses. Just take the teams above and assume they are losses and the ones below and assume they are wins. But of course there is a great deal more to be read into it than that. But being the stupid champion of Tulsa, I do it anyway. And BTW most magazines do this, but again I think PS is about the best and most detailed at it.

So let me be stupid and give the results of my stupidity, use PSCFBM and predict our wins/losses using his power poll.

Teams on the 2017 TU FB Schedule and their PS rating:
#17 - OSU
#35 - USF
#36 - Memphis
#38 - Houston
#51 - Navy
**(#64) - Tulsa***
#68 - Toledo
#72 - Temple
#92 - SMU
#94 - Tulane
#98 - New Mexico
#99 - Louisiana
#118 - UCONN

So there are 5 teams above us and 7 below which equates to a 7-5 CFB record for the 2017 CFB season. I'd think this is about where most prognosticators rank us in the preseason. But of course the accuracy of preseason predicting is not a perfect science.

Last years (2016) PS Power Poll using the TU FB Schedule:

#9 - Ohio St
#30 - Houston
#53 - Cincinnati
#58 - Memphis
#78 - Navy
#87 - San Jose St
**#88 - Tulsa**
#99 - ECU
#107 - Fresno St
#111 - UCF
#113 - SMU
#122 - Tulane
# - Not included - NC A@T

So using the above "prognostication" TU was predicted to have a record of 5-6 with the NCAT game a probable win to make it 6-6. But by beating Cincy, Memphis and SJSU our record was pulled up to that regular season 9 win level. BTW CMU, our bowl opponent was rated #76 which would equate to a post season loss which of course did not occur (TU 55, CMU 10).

So again, as good as PSCFBM is, they aren't infallable and should be considered only a guide.

RE: The Phil Steele Power Poll - jfisher - 07-29-2017 11:06 AM

We should be in the post season.....if not, it will be a bad year!!! A new QB always makes the season a little iffy but we should still win at least 6 games.