CSNbbs
Jax St. Game Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Team Talk (/forum-432.html)
+----- Forum: Liberty (/forum-46.html)
+----- Thread: Jax St. Game Thread (/thread-827733.html)

Jax St. Game Thread - army56mike - 09-20-2017 05:59 AM

31 Liberty
45 Jax St.

Our Defense is what it is. We will have to live with it this season.

I might be generous making the score this close..... right?

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Liberty Fan - 09-20-2017 07:33 AM

(09-20-2017 05:59 AM)army56mike Wrote:  31
45 Jax St.

Our Defense is what it is. We will have to live with it this season.

I might be generous making the score this close..... right?

Do we go with ball control and give our defense a break? Or do we just cut Buckshot and gang loose and hope to out score them? I have no idea how this game will end.

Just for fun I say we go with ball control to help our defence.

LU 20
JSU 17

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Have_a_Gansett_2011 - 09-20-2017 10:26 AM

I think I'm going with (JSU 48 - LU 41). I think we'll get down a little early and just start slinging it. We'll be able to keep up but not really stop them. From what I can tell, JSU's defense strength is in the skill guys, not in the trenches, which should give Buckshot plenty of time to find his guys.

Also, for me, for LU to win, I think D. King is the x-factor. He's that guy that moves the chains and keeps the defense honest on the deep ball.

Jax St. Game Thread - army56mike - 09-21-2017 05:16 AM

JSU is a 13.5 point favorite I believe.
For us to win we need to collect a bunch of JSU turnovers and convert those into TDs.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Cinciflame - 09-21-2017 11:07 AM

JSU 41
Liberty 31

The defense has been just terrible. JSU willl score allot and their defense is a little stronger.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - SlyFox - 09-21-2017 12:01 PM

They have a one-dimensional ground game offense that will grind down the clock shortening the game. I don't see either team reaching the 40s.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - LUinPA - 09-21-2017 02:18 PM

I think the game will be Offense driven on both sides, similar to last week as both squads will put up large numbers.

JAX: 38
LIB: 23

I don't quite see us matching up.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - GE and MTS - 09-21-2017 08:39 PM

I'm thinking that it won't be that close. Hopefully the team was looking past Indiana State which is why we sucked on defense. JSU has is a great team and may be the best team we play all season.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - NewTimes - 09-22-2017 05:24 AM

Very well could be best team on schedule.
LU 38
Jax 41
Close game but a better team playing at home, if and only if the offense is humming. Until the defense gels, if LU does not score, and score a lot, 14-21 point loss.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Liberty Fan - 09-22-2017 05:56 AM

I think both teams try and control time of possession. JSU wants to keep Buckshot off the field and LU wants to keep their defense rested. The game starts slow and scoring stays low until halfway through the 3 quarter. JSU builds what looks like a safe lead (17-3).

Then Buckshot explodes late and steals the game. (20-17).

Hopefully! 04-cheers

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - knucklehead - 09-22-2017 11:59 AM

I see this as Baylor Lite.

Liberty 44 Jax St 41

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - NewTimes - 09-24-2017 06:00 AM

Reality check for LU against Jax St. It's easy to see why some on the SBC forums have been beating the drum for Jax St to join. A well coached, very good defense team and a good program. It's a reason there are rated #5.

On the positive for LU, they did not give up 40+ points yielding on 31. Significant improvement on run defense. At least LU did not get an ass kicking like Coastal losing at home 52-10 to Western Illinois.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - LibertyOrangeman - 09-24-2017 03:27 PM

(09-24-2017 06:00 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Reality check for LU against Jax St. It's easy to see why some on the SBC forums have been beating the drum for Jax St to join. A well coached, very good defense team and a good program. It's a reason there are rated #5.

On the positive for LU, they did not give up 40+ points yielding on 31. Significant improvement on run defense. At least LU did not get an ass kicking like Coastal losing at home 52-10 to Western Illinois.
Actually, according to most on the Sun Belt board, Jax State isn't good enough for the SBC either...

Yeah, they flat out beat us again. From what I could watch from that horrible OVC feed, our defense did a little better, but they're still way too susceptible to the big play. That and the ridiculous amount of penalties points to a lack of mental discipline. That and the play calling on the offensive side was horrendous. Why we abandoned what worked in the 3 previous games and the first quarter, is way beyond me. Throw in the 2 run up the middle plays with 2 timeouts and 1:20 left on the clock at the end of the first half is just way too head-scratchinng. That third down strike Calvert threw to Gandy-Golden as time expired showed that the reins were too tight on him yesterday.

I'm a huge fan of Gill, especially with the type of man he appears to be, whom fits completely in the LU mold. He's obviously, the most accomplished coach we've had at LU, but too many times it seems he doesn't make the right call when it matters. I want him to succeed for us, but sometimes....

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Liberty Fan - 09-24-2017 06:32 PM

Best team won. Sly's post on another site pretty much sums up JSU success.

[Image: sly.gif]

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - GE and MTS - 09-24-2017 09:57 PM

Well that was the butt kicking I was hesitantly expecting. I don't like that we mixed up the offense when traveling on the road. We should try to stick with what we are familiar with and what has been successful. I was excited to see us ahead at the start of the game but that didn't last long and it went downhill in a hurry. Hopefully our defensive improvements stick and our offense gets clicking again.

RE: Jax St. Game Thread - Willflop - 09-25-2017 10:19 AM

We already knew they had a good defense, and now looking at some of the numbers, I think this outcome makes sense.

Since they returned most of their defensive starters, including the entire front 7, last year’s stats are pretty indicative. They were ranked 5th in the country in rushing defense (just 89 yards per game allowed). Yet, they were also ranked 2nd in passing efficiency defense in the country. Quite the combination.

Looking at this year, on 49 attempts, they held GA Tech to 4.3 yards per carry (210 total yards). GT had a 65 long, take that away and it was 3 ypc on 48 attempts. GT is ranked #1 in the country in rushing offense in FBS, averaging 393 YPG (JSU is the only non P5 team they’ve played so far).

Now, given the fact that our OL is on the weaker side, and our running game has been mediocre, even against lesser opponents, there’s not much left to work with. To spin it positively, maybe our QB/receiving core is still as good as we hope they are. It’s just that this type of team is so dominate in the area we are at the weakest, and it becomes the link breaking down our entire system. They are ranked 87th in offense and 4th in defense. If they were a little more balanced, say 25th in offense in exchange for some defensive ranking, the dynamic may have been closer to what we were able to do against Baylor.

Defensively, we held them to 24 offensive points, and a little bit less hurry on our QB may have negated that INT, which resulted in a defensive TD. Giving up 24-31 points is pretty reasonable, given how they described our defense as being wet paper.