CSNbbs
CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight (/thread-831725.html)

Pages: 1 2

CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 09:52 AM

This should be a good test. We will see who will be the key contributors to replace the loss of Basile, Airington, Smith, and Pride.

On a different note, I just noticed former Las Cruces Sun News sports journalist Teddy Feinberg is now the Sports Editor of The Bakersfield Cali (TBC).

https://twitter.com/TeddyFeinberg/status/923991059792666624

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-30-2017 03:46 PM

Whatever happens I wouldn't read much into it. Michigan State almost lost to a D2 school the other day. It's for charity. I hope the NCAA will allow teams to play a charity game exhibition a year moving forward. That said it's nice to finally have some basketball back. 11 days until the home opener, been counting down the days.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 04:52 PM

I don't think the results are as important as who the major contributors will be. We (WAC fans) expect to see Durham, Wrapp, and Briggs step up this season. But I am curious to see how much impact players like Aly, Holden, Joiner, and Moore will make in the stats sheet. The more productive players Barnes has available him, the more tenacious his defense will be this season.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - RunnerBall - 10-30-2017 05:58 PM

Yes, I'm interested in team cohesion, chemistry.

Feinberg as well as another journalist, Jon Mettus were hired to replace one retiring columnist (Jeff Evans) and one who went to Baton Rouge (Zach Ewing). IIRC, Crimson said his opinion was that Feinberg hated NMSU.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 06:14 PM

Feinberg was highly critical of NMSU sports. But he was a journalist here while NMSU's had McKinley Boston as our AD, Walker and Mumme as our football coaches, Menzies as our men's basketball coach, and Rocky Ward as our baseball coach. The WAC was unraveling during his final years in Las Cruces. Outside of men's basketball, there wasn't much positive to say about Aggie sports. So, he probably too many times took a negative approach about Aggie athletics. Nobody shed a tear when he left.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - dancingNMSUaggie - 10-30-2017 07:31 PM

(10-30-2017 06:14 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Feinberg was highly critical of NMSU sports. But he was a journalist here while NMSU's had McKinley Boston as our AD, Walker and Mumme as our football coaches, Menzies as our men's basketball coach, and Rocky Ward as our baseball coach. The WAC was unraveling during his final years in Las Cruces. Outside of men's basketball, there wasn't much positive to say about Aggie sports. So, he probably too many times took a negative approach about Aggie athletics. Nobody shed a tear when he left.

I'm sorry Pistol but your statement has zero truth to it. I know Teddy personally and we talked all the time and he did not hate NMSU. He wrote the truth and sometimes it hurt. He was not a homer and this would piss off Aggie fans. NOBODY shed a tear? Wrong. I was sorry to see him go. The guy worked his butt off for the LC Sun News.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 07:48 PM

(10-30-2017 07:31 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 06:14 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Feinberg was highly critical of NMSU sports. But he was a journalist here while NMSU's had McKinley Boston as our AD, Walker and Mumme as our football coaches, Menzies as our men's basketball coach, and Rocky Ward as our baseball coach. The WAC was unraveling during his final years in Las Cruces. Outside of men's basketball, there wasn't much positive to say about Aggie sports. So, he probably too many times took a negative approach about Aggie athletics. Nobody shed a tear when he left.

I'm sorry Pistol but your statement has zero truth to it. I know Teddy personally and we talked all the time and he did not hate NMSU. He wrote the truth and sometimes it hurt. He was not a homer and this would piss off Aggie fans. NOBODY shed a tear? Wrong. I was sorry to see him go. The guy worked his butt off for the LC Sun News.

I never said he hated NMSU. I said he was highly critical of Aggie athletics. YOU may have shedded a tear but you knew him personally. Those who only knew him through his articles (many negative) did not mind him leaving.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - gleadley - 10-30-2017 07:52 PM

Good luck, Runners!

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-30-2017 10:11 PM

CSUB going with a bit of an experimental lineup tonight. Rickey Holden, Justin Davis and Durham playing 3 guard with Greg Lee at forward and Fallou Ndoye at center.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-30-2017 10:51 PM

Well judging from the box score this is definitely a CSUB basketball game lol. CSUB up 35-29 at the half. CSUB closed the half on a 14-3 run and LBSU is currently on a 3:24 scoring drought. Very familiar. LBSU is shooting 34% from the field and 18% from 3. CSUB is 7-8 from the line which is a big improvement from last year and hopefully that trend continues. That was a big problems last year. Durham has picked up the scoring as expected and has 13 points on 18 minutes. Barnes said Rickey Holden was way ahead of the other newcomers and it's showing. He seems like the real deal and has 10 points and 4 assists in 18 minutes. Redshirt freshman Justin Davis picks up 2 threes. Worth noting no Wrapp or Briggs so far.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 11:12 PM

(10-30-2017 10:11 PM)Clarity Wrote:  CSUB going with a bit of an experimental lineup tonight. Rickey Holden, Justin Davis and Durham playing 3 guard with Greg Lee at forward and Fallou Ndoye at center.

Interesting starting line up.

Just a guess, but I was thinking Barnes new starting 5 would be Wrapp, Holden, Durham, Briggs, and Aly.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-30-2017 11:51 PM

CSUB wins 63-55. Joiner struggled in the first but came on in the second scoring 8 points in the half. Durham finished with 20 points and 6 boards and I would expect him to average something similar this year. CSUB forced 20 turnovers so probably a safe bet they will be just as good on that side of the floor this year. Super excited about this group.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-30-2017 11:54 PM

Good win. Did Wrapp and Briggs ever make it into the game?

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-30-2017 11:59 PM

Nope. I know Wrapp is like 80% so good idea for him to rest but don't know about Briggs. Suber, Thompson (I believe is redshirting but hasn't been confirmed), Person (possibly still recovering from labrum surgery he had in May) and Moore who I think is still recovering from his broken leg all didn't enter the game.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - RunnerBall - 10-31-2017 12:22 AM

Thx for the commentary, Clarity. I totally forgot about that game 'till about 10pm this evening (soooo worn out from work; parent conferences started today [SLEEPY FACE]).

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - PojoaquePosse - 10-31-2017 09:05 AM

I forgot the name of new of the super freshman you guys got that lead the nation in scoring. Did he get in the game and how did he do?

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - dancingNMSUaggie - 10-31-2017 09:40 AM

Great job representing CSUB! I think it's funny how CSUB who won the WAC tourney championship and regular season last year and NMSU who won regular season two years ago and WAC tourney last year are getting picked preseason behind Utah Valley and Grand Canyon. Let's see how Grand Canyon does now that the real pressure is on. It's easy to play lose when your not eligible for anything. This year will be different.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-31-2017 12:09 PM

(10-31-2017 09:05 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  I forgot the name of new of the super freshman you guys got that lead the nation in scoring. Did he get in the game and how did he do?

His name is Jarkel Joiner (#0). NMSU (the Traitor) tried to recruit him last season as well but ultimately Barnes southern ties (Mississippi) won Joiner over.

From what I've seen, he does look impressive. He had 12 points and 6 rebounds against Long Beach State. He has similar hops to Sidy Ndir. And also like Sidy, he appear to be able to score at all three levels (all over the floor). He will be a thorn in NMSU's side for 4 years.

https://twitter.com/StephenHicks23/status/923757400917544960

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - Clarity - 10-31-2017 01:17 PM

Yeah Joiner struggled in the first half but really heated up in the 2nd. I think he will contribute in a big way immediately. Barnes said he is adjusting well to college ball. Definitely showed in the 2nd half last night. He is so fun to watch. An athletic manic. I found out Briggs didn't play because he had class. NCAA doesn't allow guys to miss class for exhibitions I guess.

RE: CSUB plays Long Beach State tonight - NMSUPistolPete - 10-31-2017 02:37 PM

It looks like Holden is capable of replacing Basile. Durham will step into Airington's role. And, Joiner will replace Durham as the instant offense off the bench. Already, last season in the NIT, Briggs showed he was capable of being a major offensive impact. So, he will seamlessly step into Smith's role. This CSUB team looks to be deeper, longer, and more athletic than a season ago.

I don't think CSUB has a lot of dependable scorers but Barnes' teams are known for winning ugly. They shot a horrendous percentage last night but their tenacious defense will always keep them in games.

Oddly, I think CSUB and NMSU have similar personnel. NMSU might not be as long or as athletic in the post as CSUB but I think NMSU is quicker and has more (quantity) dependable scorers.

Last season, I always felt CSUB quickness and aggressiveness at the guard positions was NMSU's Achilles heel when attacking Barnes' defense. However, I think with AJ Harris, Sidy Ndir, and Shunn Buchanan, NMSU now has the type of ball handlers who could cause CSUB trouble. Just an opinion. I am looking forward to this season.