CSNbbs
The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors (/thread-834154.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - BEARCATDALE - 11-19-2017 07:48 PM

Malcolm McCann, a student at Claremont Colleges in California who writes for “The Student Life,” the school’s student paper. His most recent contribution is titled “Insiders and Outsiders in the Outdoors.”

Quote:This whiteness manifests in the term “outdoorsy” – a descriptor for those who spend a significant time in the outdoors, who are equipped with the necessary gear, and who feel connected to nature. The image of the “outdoorsy individual” is an exclusive classification that gives white people the authority to venture into the outdoors freely, leaving people of color behind.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - rath v2.0 - 11-19-2017 08:11 PM

Pencil necked soy boy or mentally ill.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - EverRespect - 11-19-2017 08:12 PM

(11-19-2017 08:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Pencil necked soy boy or mentally ill.
Generation Soy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Kaplony - 11-19-2017 08:20 PM

I'm going to print this out and share it Friday morning when I arrive at the annual day after Thanksgiving dog drive I've been to my entire life at the predominantly black deer hunt club. Can't wait to hear the laughs of these men who have literally spent their entire lives enjoying the outdoors when they hear that despite the fact they are as black as the ace of spades they are white supremacists.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - shere khan - 11-20-2017 06:26 AM

(11-19-2017 08:20 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm going to print this out and share it Friday morning when I arrive at the annual day after Thanksgiving dog drive I've been to my entire life at the predominantly black deer hunt club. Can't wait to hear the laughs of these men who have literally spent their entire lives enjoying the outdoors when they hear that despite the fact they are as black as the ace of spades they are white supremacists.
What an irony of history that the least racially devise section of the country is the South, despite the stereotypes that that the coastal elites continually propagate.

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - JMUDunk - 11-20-2017 06:55 AM

(11-19-2017 07:48 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  Malcolm McCann, a student at Claremont Colleges in California who writes for “The Student Life,” the school’s student paper. His most recent contribution is titled “Insiders and Outsiders in the Outdoors.”

Quote:This whiteness manifests in the term “outdoorsy” – a descriptor for those who spend a significant time in the outdoors, who are equipped with the necessary gear, and who feel connected to nature. The image of the “outdoorsy individual” is an exclusive classification that gives white people the authority to venture into the outdoors freely, leaving people of color behind.

Uhhhhh,

So go outside, dick?

Why is this stuff so hard?

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - rath v2.0 - 11-20-2017 07:18 AM

I guess state and national parks are for whites only? Get off your ass and get out there if you are interested in it. Hunters love to help people and let newbies pick their brains.

I didn't start hunting until I was 26 after getting out of the military, finishing undergrad and getting married. Started on my own with a Mossberg 500 I picked up for $175 at a Walmart. Did not have a hunter in my family. Cut my teeth learning in state parks before moving on to private land. 20 years later its become the thing my 16 year old and I spend most of our free time on with habitat projects and planning in off-seasons. Also about the only time I get to spend one on one with him. And yes, I feel privileged and blessed to be able to do so.

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - JMUDunk - 11-20-2017 08:05 AM

(11-19-2017 08:20 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm going to print this out and share it Friday morning when I arrive at the annual day after Thanksgiving dog drive I've been to my entire life at the predominantly black deer hunt club. Can't wait to hear the laughs of these men who have literally spent their entire lives enjoying the outdoors when they hear that despite the fact they are as black as the ace of spades they are white supremacists.

Pretty sure there’s something racist in there ^^^,

Not sure what, but pretty sure.

Am I slipping on my OUTRAGE meter?!?

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - JMUDunk - 11-20-2017 08:06 AM

NM

Double post...

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - JMUDunk - 11-20-2017 08:11 AM

(11-20-2017 07:18 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I guess state and national parks are for whites only? Get off your ass and get out there if you are interested in it. Hunters love to help people and let newbies pick their brains.

I didn't start hunting until I was 26 after getting out of the military, finishing undergrad and getting married. Started on my own with a Mossberg 500 I picked up for $175 at a Walmart. Did not have a hunter in my family. Cut my teeth learning in state parks before moving on to private land. 20 years later its become the thing my 16 year old and I spend most of our free time on with habitat projects and planning in off-seasons. Also about the only time I get to spend one on one with him. And yes, I feel privileged and blessed to be able to do so.

Let me guess

You only hunt black and brown bears, don’t you?!?

Bet you’ve never culled any kind of white animal have you?

Need I or this “author” even say another word?

So freaking triggered bout now...

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Kaplony - 11-20-2017 08:25 AM

(11-20-2017 06:26 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
What an irony of history that the least racially devise section of the country is the South, despite the stereotypes that that the coastal elites continually propagate.

Yup. We go as guests of our neighbors. Used to be the men-folk hunted while the women cooked lunch but the past few years some of the wives and daughters started hunting. The older women still cook and despite pigging out the day before everyone seems to do it again on Friday. Used to be a traditional Thanksgiving type meal but the past few years they've mixed up the menu. Pretty sure this year they are doing a seafood gumbo and an oyster stew. I'll probably be looking for a sunny spot to take a nap Friday afternoon! LOL

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-20-2017 08:33 AM

(11-20-2017 06:26 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Because we've grown up living together and respecting each other as people, not as just so many votes to manipulate.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-20-2017 09:23 AM

I am at this very minute enjoying the hell out of my white privilege as I sit in my stand waiting to get down and go track a doe I hope I didn't miss. I have to wait until the market opens though. Modern hunting struggles are real.

The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - ark30inf - 11-20-2017 10:42 AM

I'm not going to dismiss this one so cavalierly.

When I go out in the Ozarks I see a lot of Mexican families visiting parks and wilderness areas. I see some Korean and Chinese faces. A couple of weeks ago I saw an Indian family horsing around taking pictures alongside the road up around Jasper. Not a problem for them.

But I know some black folks who just won't even consider taking a drive into that region and won't get off the interstate. I know of guys getting invited to car or motorcycle events that they would normally attend, but turning it down flat because of the location.

Is there some deliberate attempt to keep only black people out of these areas? Is there some white conspiracy to only let Chinese and Indians visit?

No.

But many really do seem to have a sense that its dangerous or scary or threatening.

Why? Its worth discussing.

And on the flip-side, I know a white guy from out in the sticks who simply will not go into Little Rock for any reason unless he is forced. He probably updates his will before driving through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Lush - 11-20-2017 10:58 AM

(11-20-2017 10:42 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I'm not going to dismiss this one so cavalierly.

When I go out in the Ozarks I see a lot of Mexican families visiting parks and wilderness areas. I see some Korean and Chinese faces. A couple of weeks ago I saw an Indian family horsing around taking pictures alongside the road up around Jasper. Not a problem for them.

But I know some black folks who just won't even consider taking a drive into that region and won't get off the interstate. I know of guys getting invited to car or motorcycle events that they would normally attend, but turning it down flat because of the location.

Is there some deliberate attempt to keep only black people out of these areas? Is there some white conspiracy to only let Chinese and Indians visit?

No.

But many really do seem to have a sense that its dangerous or scary or threatening.

And on the flip-side, I know a white guy from out in the sticks who simply will not go into Little Rock for any reason unless he is forced. He probably updates his will before driving through.

word. black people don't like the wilderness. i suppose it could be because a majority of them were herded into semi crowded cities, a process repeated generation after generation. which would remove them further and further from nearby wild. it's not familiar anymore. most black people i know would rather vacation in a city or beach than go to the mountains or a forest cabin. they learned to habit the concrete jungle. it's obviously not universal, but is certainly worth considering.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - Bull_Is_Back - 11-20-2017 11:11 AM

It's the same bigotry we see from people who assume Blacks are too stupid to get an ID to vote, that they don't know how the internet works, or even where their DMV is.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - ark30inf - 11-20-2017 11:25 AM

(11-20-2017 10:58 AM)Lush Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 10:42 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I'm not going to dismiss this one so cavalierly.

No.

word. black people don't like the wilderness. i suppose it could be because a majority of them were herded into semi crowded cities, a process repeated generation after generation. which would remove them further and further from nearby wild. it's not familiar anymore. most black people i know would rather vacation in a city or beach than go to the mountains or a forest cabin. they learned to habit the concrete jungle. it's obviously not universal, but is certainly worth considering.
I think the media plays a role in making it seem scarier than it is. Movie and tv tropes from Hollywood for instance, and news media concentrated in cities hyping up outliers.

The same dynamic in reverse too. You are more likely to get hit by a deer on the way to a Jason Aldean concert in North Little Rock than you are to get shot when you get to it. But the impression is that armed gangs are wandering in all parts of the city.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - CliftonAve - 11-20-2017 11:30 AM

This whole message is pretty screwed up. Its not as if the privileged class of white people are hitting the outdoors. Sure, there are some upper-middle to upper class guys who consider themselves "sportsmen", who go out and hunt and fish, but for the most part, the outdoors are enjoyed by middle to lower class whites-- primarily living in rural parts of the country. The Donald Trump's and Bill Gates' of the world aren't going deer hunting.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - nomad2u2001 - 11-20-2017 07:18 PM

I'm not gonna lie, when I picture an outdoorsy type of person it's always gonna be white people. It may be the marketing of places like Bass Pro and Cabela's.

In real life I've definitely seen and experienced otherwise. I don't hunt, but I enjoy fishing. I don't camp, but I'll hike.

I'm sure there may be some racist kooks out there somewhere, but the vast majority of outdoorsy people really enjoy talking about outdoorsy things with people who are knowledgeable or want to learn.

RE: The latest form of white supremacy? Enjoying the great outdoors - nomad2u2001 - 11-20-2017 07:23 PM

(11-20-2017 10:58 AM)Lush Wrote:  

No.

It all depends on where you come from. A lot of people in America of all races are told where it's safe and unsafe and carry those tales with them their entire lives.