CSNbbs
2018 College Baseball Polls - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: 2018 College Baseball Polls (/thread-837722.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 12-19-2017 04:42 PM

As usual, the joke that is Collegiate Baseball is the first out of the gate, and we fall just outside their Top 40...

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2017/12/19/collegiate-baseball-releases-2018-preseason-top-40-poll/

...#5 Tx Tech, #9 TCU, #11 DBU (!!!), #16 Virginia (ourt season-opener),
#24 Stanford, #25 USM, #26 UT, #30 UH, #32 SHS, #33 A&M

Can't say I'm overly surprised given our 33-31 record last year, and Collegiate Baseball ALWAYS ranks us lower than everybody else. I suspect we'll fall in the 30 - 35 range in most of the reputable preseason polls.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - mrbig - 12-19-2017 04:46 PM

This season is probably the least I have cared where Rice is ranked pre-season. I completely understand being left out of any top-25 or top-40 rankings after the last few seasons, plus losing quite a bit of talent from last year's team. That said, I am in complete agreement with Walt that Collegiate Baseball has consistently ranked Rice below most other polls and also shows some pretty large week-to-week fluctuations.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 12-19-2017 04:51 PM

(12-19-2017 04:46 PM)mrbig Wrote:  This season is probably the least I have cared where Rice is ranked pre-season. I completely understand being left out of any top-25 or top-40 rankings after the last few seasons, plus losing quite a bit of talent from last year's team. That said, I am in complete agreement with Walt that Collegiate Baseball has consistently ranked Rice below most other polls and also shows some pretty large week-to-week fluctuations.

CB weighs very heavily on previous year results and does very little research. I'm sure USM will be competitive, but they lost a heck of a lot more than we did. They did their stud freshman slugger (Wallner?) and outstanding closer (Sedlin), but I believe they lost their entire weekend rotation as well as two-thirds of their lineup.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-10-2018 09:25 AM

Perfect Game just released their preseason poll with some really odd inclusions...

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14784

...#3 TCU, #4 Tx Tech, #10 Stanford, #15 A&M, (a real head scratcher), #21 Houston (about 10 places too high), #22 Sam Houston State, #23 Texas...with UCF and USM "also receiving consideration".

Most reputable pundits have Dallas Baptist ahead of A&M, UT, UH and SHS. Heck, I'd be shocked if even Kendall and D1Baseball have the Aggies in their Top 25. However, if you go by PG's ranking, we play 15 games (30% of our schedule) against Top 30 opponents.

Again, I still think we should be most appropriately ranked somewhere in the 30 - 40 range .

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-11-2018 04:49 PM

College Baseball Daily is out with the first CUSA preview, and picks us to come in second to USM, with DiCaprio and Canterino named to preseason all-conference team (with Proctor honorable mention)...

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2018/01/11/2018-cbd-season-preview-and-predictions-conference-usa/

As many here know, I have never been a fan of their editor, Brian Foley, who I feel has shown a pretty obvious bias against Rice and Rice players through the years, especially in his Top 100 countdown. It's pretty clear from the individual team writeups that they did very little research for this preview.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-16-2018 09:56 AM

D1Baseball just released their preseason Top 25...

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/2018-d1baseball-preseason-top-25/

...#3 Texas Tech, #7 TCU, #10 A&M, #13 Stanford, #18 Dallas Baptist, #19 Virginia, #21 Texas, #24 Houston

Some huge discrepencies between various polls-- UVA doesn't even appear in Collegiate Baseball's Top 40...D1Baseball ranks Ole Miss at #9 while College Baseball Madness ranks them as #34.

Acoording to a twitter reply to a question, Kendall indicated that Rice was "in the discussion", and will likely appear in their "Next 10 - 15" listing.

BTW, Opening Day is one month away from today! 02-13-banana

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-16-2018 06:14 PM

Kendall and Aaron Fitt had a Top 25 chat this afternoon. Someone (not sure if it was really Tanya Graham) asked about Rice and this was Kendall's response...

Quote:Comment From TonyaG
What do you expect from the Owls in Wayne Graham’s last season at Rice?

Kendall Rogers:
I actually think the Owls will have a pretty solid offense. I think Dom DiCaprio is ready to take the next step forward (he worked incredibly hard on his physique and athleticism in the offseason), and Ford Proctor is Ford Proctor. I also look for Ryan Chandler to take a step forward. In essence, I really like what Rice has on the front-end of the rotation in Matt Canterino. He’s got a nice FB and wicked breaking ball, but the rest of the rotation is just OK for me. The bullpen and 2/3 spots have something to prove. With that said, would it be a shock if Rice is ranked in June? Absolutely not.

Again, I think people are grossly underestimating our pitching staff simply based on last year's results. Again, Jefferies and, especially, Moss, were lights out during Fall Ball...and Kravetz, Silber, Garcia and Gayle all impressed. If Salinas is back healthy, and Acker and Lewis pitch as they did as newcomers this Fall, I think the staff will be well above average. Also, almost everyone seem to be ignoring the return of both Dunlap and Gneiting to our offense, and what they have and can contribute.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - loki_the_bubba - 01-16-2018 06:17 PM

(01-16-2018 06:14 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Kendall and Aaron Fitt had a Top 25 chat this afternoon. Someone (not sure if it was really Tanya Graham) asked about Rice and this was Kendall's response...

Kendall Rogers:
I actually think the Owls will have a pretty solid offense. I think Dom DiCaprio is ready to take the next step forward (he worked incredibly hard on his physique and athleticism in the offseason), and Ford Proctor is Ford Proctor. I also look for Ryan Chandler to take a step forward. In essence, I really like what Rice has on the front-end of the rotation in Matt Canterino. He’s got a nice FB and wicked breaking ball, but the rest of the rotation is just OK for me. The bullpen and 2/3 spots have something to prove. With that said, would it be a shock if Rice is ranked in June? Absolutely not.

Again, I think people are grossly underestimating our pitching staff simply based on last year's results. Again, Jefferies and, especially, Moss, were lights out during Fall Ball...and Kravetz, Silber, Garcia and Gayle all impressed. If Salinas is back healthy, and Acker and Lewis pitch as they did as newcomers this Fall, I think the staff will be well above average. Also, almost everyone seem to be ignoring the return of both Dunlap and Gneiting to our offense, and what they have and can contribute.

Is it confirmed that this is the OG's last season?

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-16-2018 06:19 PM

(01-16-2018 06:17 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 06:14 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Kendall and Aaron Fitt had a Top 25 chat this afternoon. Someone (not sure if it was really Tanya Graham) asked about Rice and this was Kendall's response...

Kendall Rogers:

NO!...but still no word out of JK. Frustrating and disappointing, to say the least. Wayne deserves so much better.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - cr11owl - 01-16-2018 07:22 PM

(01-16-2018 06:19 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Kendall Rogers:

NO!...but still no word out of JK. Frustrating and disappointing, to say the least. Wayne deserves so much better.

Preseason 7th or 8th best team in Texas...

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-16-2018 08:41 PM

(01-16-2018 07:22 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

Kendall Rogers:

...with all those 8 teams amongst the Top 35 out of 320 D1 programs. And, BTW, aside from Tech, TCU and arguably A&M, I'm not sure any of the other teams are better than us. UT, UH, DBU, SHS and Rice are all VERY close heading into the season....and DBU is probably the best of this group.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - ExcitedOwl18 - 01-16-2018 08:46 PM

(01-16-2018 08:41 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

...with all those 8 teams amongst the Top 35 out of 320 D1 programs. And, BTW, aside from Tech, TCU and arguably A&M, I'm not sure any of the other teams are better than us. UT, UH, DBU, SHS and Rice are all VERY close heading into the season....and DBU is probably the best of this group.

What structural advantages do DBU and Sam have over us?

We should NEVER be worse than those two teams.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - cr11owl - 01-16-2018 08:50 PM

That makes it better? Really lowering that bar.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-16-2018 08:58 PM

(01-16-2018 08:50 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 06:17 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Is it confirmed that this is the OG's last season?

That makes it better? Really lowering that bar.

Geez. Keep tearing down our baseball team. It's still one of the best and certainly one of the very most consistent programs in the country.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - Tomball Owl - 01-16-2018 08:59 PM

(01-16-2018 08:46 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(01-16-2018 06:17 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Is it confirmed that this is the OG's last season?

What structural advantages do DBU and Sam have over us?

We should NEVER be worse than those two teams.

Less $$$$$ out of pocket for mom and dad!

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - westsidewolf1989 - 01-16-2018 09:10 PM

Being consistently top 30 or top 40 isn’t good enough. That’s not the standard set by wayne, nor should it be near good enough for the next coach. The expectation is CWS berths, not second place in a regional.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - OptimisticOwl - 01-16-2018 09:39 PM

(01-16-2018 09:10 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Being consistently top 30 or top 40 isn’t good enough. That’s not the standard set by wayne, nor should it be near good enough for the next coach. The expectation is CWS berths, not second place in a regional.

True, as far as it goes. But I think we are long past the "happy to be here" days of 0-2. I think we want to get back to the level we used to be on. Just getting a CWS berth is not enough. We want wins.

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - waltgreenberg - 01-17-2018 08:46 AM

Wow-- Perfect Game doesn't even include us in the Top 40, releasing their #26 - 40 rankings today...

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14831

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - WRCisforgotten79 - 01-17-2018 11:19 AM

(01-17-2018 08:46 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Wow-- Perfect Game doesn't even include us in the Top 40, releasing their #26 - 40 rankings today...

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14831

33-31

RE: 2018 College Baseball Polls - temchugh - 01-17-2018 03:36 PM

January is the best time of year to complain about the polls and to be optimistic about Rice pitching:

2017: http://csnbbs.com/thread-803016.html

2016: http://csnbbs.com/thread-763770.html

2015: http://csnbbs.com/thread-720094.html

2014: http://csnbbs.com/thread-668395.html