CSNbbs
JMU Baseball 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: JMU Baseball 2018 (/thread-840764.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

JMU Baseball 2018 - dukes13 - 01-22-2018 10:36 AM

Getting close to the first day of practice, less than a month away. Saw an interesting tweet this morning from assistant coach Alex Guerra...

wonder what upgrades are coming to the stadium? anyone know?? hopefully a video scoreboard in the works for both baseball and softball.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Wear Purple - 01-22-2018 10:39 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. JMU will host the CAA Tournament this year. Hoping the Diamond Dukes qualify.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Potomac - 01-22-2018 11:32 AM

I'm hoping for clear improvement this season, after 2017 was a slight step back from 2016, despite a promising start. You want to see them trend in the right direction.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - JMad03 - 01-22-2018 11:45 AM

(01-22-2018 11:32 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I'm hoping for clear improvement this season, after 2017 was a slight step back from 2016, despite a promising start. You want to see them trend in the right direction.

I am as well. They need to show that the team is getting better. A season where we aren’t in the upper half and at least fighting for a spot would be a big disappointment.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Wear Purple - 01-22-2018 11:53 AM

Message to JMU Sports Communications...

...season starts in a little over 3 weeks...

...past time to update the roster page to reflect the 2018 team.

Just sayin'.

07-coffee3

http://www.jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - jmu98 - 01-22-2018 12:23 PM

(01-22-2018 11:53 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Message to JMU Sports Communications...

Just sayin'.

07-coffee3

Looks like stats are updated, but they have not changed the year they are in.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Wear Purple - 01-22-2018 01:13 PM

(01-22-2018 12:23 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(01-22-2018 11:53 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Message to JMU Sports Communications...

Just sayin'.

07-coffee3

Looks like stats are updated, but they have not changed the year they are in.

Well, that and there are players (like #27, #28 & so forth) who have graduated and used up all their eligibility.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - HyperDuke - 01-22-2018 01:35 PM

(01-22-2018 10:39 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Thanks for starting this thread. JMU will host the CAA Tournament this year. Hoping the Diamond Dukes qualify.

One of the more recent times we hosted the CAA Tourney (Spanky still coaching), it was reported by UNCW alums that we didn't do all the necessary logistics & were begging for volunteers the week of the tournament. I hope that was just a reflection of Spanky's laziness. Hopefully Athletics will take the reigns on these details & not leave them to the team to coordinate. I was embarrassed to hear about how unprepared we were last time.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Wear Purple - 01-22-2018 01:39 PM

(01-22-2018 01:35 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(01-22-2018 10:39 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Thanks for starting this thread. JMU will host the CAA Tournament this year. Hoping the Diamond Dukes qualify.

One of the more recent times we hosted the CAA Tourney (Spanky still coaching), it was reported by UNCW alums that we didn't do all the necessary logistics & were begging for volunteers the week of the tournament. I hope that was just a reflection of Spanky's laziness. Hopefully Athletics will take the reigns on these details & not leave them to the team to coordinate. I was embarrassed to hear about how unprepared we were last time.

I'm hoping the Softball Dukes will be hosting a NCAA Tournament Super Regional during the same time as the Baseball Tournament on campus.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - ParentofJMUMRDs - 01-22-2018 01:46 PM

WP

Would be fun!!

Brian

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - jmuduke10 - 01-22-2018 02:07 PM

Unacceptable to not qualify for the CAA Tournament two years in a row when 6/9 teams make it. I believe we were in 7th last year, and continue to improve

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - BleedingPurple - 01-22-2018 04:01 PM

Too lazy to look it up, was that year also Spanky's final season?

Nevertheless, when you're not in something you're hosting, it can be difficult to motivate yourself much less get volunteers to support your effort.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - ShadyP - 01-22-2018 04:09 PM

(01-22-2018 04:01 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

Too lazy to look it up, was that year also Spanky's final season?

Nevertheless, when you're not in something you're hosting, it can be difficult to motivate yourself much less get volunteers to support your effort.

I agree that can cause motivation to wane and it is embarrassing to be the host school and not qualify.

That being said and I said it at the time.....every single coach, player, manager for the baseball team should have been required to work that event.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - CISDuke2014 - 01-23-2018 03:14 PM

Not about 2018 specifically but anyone notice recent stories about Bridgewater and BC possibly hosting Appy League rookie ball soon? Be a whole new ballgame in town adding professional baseball to the area. Be a huge commitment for BC/town as well with about a 5 million layout for a stadium that admittedly would put ours to shame. Not trying to be negative as I think it could be a positive for JMU as well potentially bringing additional pro attention to the program.

https://www.bridgewater.town/Bridgewater%20Baseball%20Feasibility%20Study.pdf

EDIT TO ADD LINK TO STUDY

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - doubleduke2016 - 01-23-2018 04:21 PM

(01-23-2018 03:14 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  Not about 2018 specifically but anyone notice recent stories about Bridgewater and BC possibly hosting Appy League rookie ball soon? Be a whole new ballgame in town adding professional baseball to the area. Be a huge commitment for BC/town as well with about a 5 million layout for a stadium that admittedly would put ours to shame. Not trying to be negative as I think it could be a positive for JMU as well potentially bringing additional pro attention to the program.

Still very early in the process but I am a little surprised that they expect Bridgewater's Baseball field to get naming rights (175k-225k) at the same level that JMU got the new bball arena. I am also a little surprised by a conservative estimate of 1800 ppl per game paying $7 each. I've been to JMU bball games, Clover Hill games, Turks games, and Bwater Reds games and outside of Clover Hill vs Stuarts Draft I see mostly empty seats at all of those games. It also surprises me that their "moderate" estimate for attendance would make them the 2nd highest attended team in the league and their "conservative" estimate would make them the 3rd highest attended. The average attendance for all teams in the league is 1,096 and they're estimating 1800 per game as their low estimate.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - CISDuke2014 - 01-23-2018 04:28 PM

(01-23-2018 04:21 PM)doubleduke2016 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 03:14 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  Not about 2018 specifically but anyone notice recent stories about Bridgewater and BC possibly hosting Appy League rookie ball soon? Be a whole new ballgame in town adding professional baseball to the area. Be a huge commitment for BC/town as well with about a 5 million layout for a stadium that admittedly would put ours to shame. Not trying to be negative as I think it could be a positive for JMU as well potentially bringing additional pro attention to the program.

Still very early in the process but I am a little surprised that they expect Bridgewater's Baseball field to get naming rights (175k-225k) at the same level that JMU got the new bball arena. I am also a little surprised by a conservative estimate of 1800 ppl per game paying $7 each. I've been to JMU bball games, Clover Hill games, Turks games, and Bwater Reds games and outside of Clover Hill vs Stuarts Draft I see mostly empty seats at all of those games. It also surprises me that their "moderate" estimate for attendance would make them the 2nd highest attended team in the league and their "conservative" estimate would make them the 3rd highest attended. The average attendance for all teams in the league is 1,096 and they're estimating 1800 per game as their low estimate.

I had the same concerns about attendance. No way they pull 1,800 it will be much closer to 1,000. But makes me believe the study reads the way the town wants it to read to push it through? I not saying that's the case because I hope they know it's a money pit but sounds to me like they want it and are going to make it happen. Heck even here in Lynchburg the Hillcats (HIGH A ball) can't draw 1,000 butts in seats. We might get 400 during the week and 800-1,000 on good weekends (announced is always 1,600+).

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - JMUTrippster - 01-24-2018 09:14 AM

(01-23-2018 04:28 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  

I had the same concerns about attendance. No way they pull 1,800 it will be much closer to 1,000. But makes me believe the study reads the way the town wants it to read to push it through? I not saying that's the case because I hope they know it's a money pit but sounds to me like they want it and are going to make it happen. Heck even here in Lynchburg the Hillcats (HIGH A ball) can't draw 1,000 butts in seats. We might get 400 during the week and 800-1,000 on good weekends (announced is always 1,600+).

There is a pretty rich history of baseball in the valley, but agreed that drawing that many is a stretch. However, a new pro team may be more successful in its first few years until the novelty wears off. Could be a good thing for Bridgewater.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - JMad03 - 01-24-2018 11:51 AM

The Hillcats are usually a pretty good program. I generally go to Salem Red Sox games. For a single A baseball team it's a really great facility.
I looked up the average attendance and you're a little off on the Hillcats. According to the Carolina League site, they averaged a little over 2,000 per game (137,566 for the season). If they are anything like Salem, some of the big promotion nights can bring that attendance up. Salem averages 3.3k (214,244 total).
As large as Lynchburg is, the Hillcats' attendance is the 3rd worst in the league. The bottom of the league is Buies Creek which AVERAGED 517 a game (30,518 total).. ouch. To be fair, Buies Creek has a population of about 3k, so that really plays a huge factor.
If not for Harrisonburg, I would seriously question that estimate. But I think they have the potential to hit that number. For them to meet that average, they're going to have to work to bring people back.

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - CISDuke2014 - 01-24-2018 03:36 PM

(01-24-2018 11:51 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

The Hillcats are usually a pretty good program. I generally go to Salem Red Sox games. For a single A baseball team it's a really great facility.
I looked up the average attendance and you're a little off on the Hillcats. According to the Carolina League site, they averaged a little over 2,000 per game (137,566 for the season). If they are anything like Salem, some of the big promotion nights can bring that attendance up. Salem averages 3.3k (214,244 total).
As large as Lynchburg is, the Hillcats' attendance is the 3rd worst in the league. The bottom of the league is Buies Creek which AVERAGED 517 a game (30,518 total).. ouch. To be fair, Buies Creek has a population of about 3k, so that really plays a huge factor.
If not for Harrisonburg, I would seriously question that estimate. But I think they have the potential to hit that number. For them to meet that average, they're going to have to work to bring people back.

I worked for the team in 2016 and through the turnstiles we only did 82,277 and that's with GA tickets cheaper then is proposed in the study and a team that lost in the Mills Cup finals. It would be a very good thing for Bridgewater College and potentially for JMU, maybe forcing facility upgrades and additional professional interest here. But it will be a huge mistake for the town.

Rookie ball and the valley league (one of the better summer leagues) are kinda close in talent level I would think and the Valley League can't draw 1k a game in downtown hburg, how's a Rookie club going to do it in Bridgwater? As a baseball fan, I personally would love to see it happen. My business side however says run away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: JMU Baseball 2018 - Wear Purple - 01-27-2018 01:00 PM

First day of practice yesterday for the Diamond Dukes as the season is 3 weeks away.

Some good stuff at the JMU Baseball twitter feed... https://twitter.com/JMUBaseball

JMUsports.com still has the 2017 roster up.