CSNbbs
Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Which of our stretches are the toughest? (/thread-842546.html)

Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Ring of Black - 02-11-2018 03:54 PM

I'm going with the current stretch because, even though it is one fewer games, it's conference season, the stakes are high, and they are all currently chasing us. Better be ready...

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - UCGrad1992 - 02-11-2018 05:03 PM

Current stretch hands down. Too much at stake including a regular season conference championship and momentum going into the conference and NCAA tourneys and potential seeding.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - gerhard911 - 02-11-2018 06:39 PM

One is water over the dam while the other can still make a difference.

And Wichita x 2 = 4 games.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - jarr - 02-11-2018 06:43 PM

I voted for the non con stretch which included going into Cintas against a pumped up X team. Also, SMU's injuries took them down a notch. @Houston might be the toughest game of this stretch IMO.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Ring of Black - 02-11-2018 06:49 PM

(02-11-2018 06:39 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  One is water over the dam while the other can still make a difference.

Good point. Although there are three games in between, playing in Wichita on their senior day will be a monumental task.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Billy_Bearcat - 02-11-2018 07:41 PM

(02-11-2018 06:49 PM)Ring of Black Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 06:39 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  One is water over the dam while the other can still make a difference.

Good point. Although there are three games in between, playing in Wichita on their senior day will be a monumental task.

Will you be there?

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - UCGrad1992 - 02-11-2018 07:53 PM

I know at the time I felt like the OOC for that stretch was key for what kind of team we had and our national perception but I knew that even if we did worse than 2-2 we still were the conference favorites and needed to go after the championship. I didn't think we would have a 3 game lead in the conference race either but we're so close to achieving an incredible goal (Mick's first outright regular season championship title in Cincinnati) that every remaining game is key until we clinch. And beating WSU at least once will continue to help our seed line. As many have said before, it's not how you are playing in December/January that impacts as much as in March. I realize that overall success is based on the entire season but in terms of momentum and playing your best it is most welcome/critical right now.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - BearcatsUC - 02-11-2018 08:16 PM

(02-11-2018 05:03 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Current stretch hands down. Too much at stake including a regular season conference championship and momentum going into the conference and NCAA tourneys and potential seeding.

Plus, for the most part, these coaches and team are familiar with UC.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - UCGrad1992 - 02-11-2018 08:57 PM

(02-11-2018 08:16 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 05:03 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Current stretch hands down. Too much at stake including a regular season conference championship and momentum going into the conference and NCAA tourneys and potential seeding.

Plus, for the most part, these coaches and team are familiar with UC.

Yup. Some of these conference teams we've played a lot in the past years and you can't sneak up on 'em or show something they've not played against. Which is why I'm still amazed we've managed to run the conference table thus far...

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Ring of Black - 02-11-2018 11:45 PM

(02-11-2018 07:41 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 06:49 PM)Ring of Black Wrote:  

Will you be there?

Absolutely.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - rath v2.0 - 02-12-2018 06:37 AM

All is good if you are in the House channeling our mojo and getting our chakras in line.

We know what Houston's game plan is already so that helps us. They used 14 of 15 fouls for their 3 post players to beat on us under the rim in the game up here. That will likely be the same game plan. Hit our free throws and we win going away.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - OKIcat - 02-12-2018 08:00 AM

(02-12-2018 06:37 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  All is good if you are in the House channeling our mojo and getting our chakras in line.

We know what Houston's game plan is already so that helps us. They used 14 of 15 fouls for their 3 post players to beat on us under the rim in the game up here. That will likely be the same game plan. Hit our free throws and we win going away.

True, but will those fouls be called on the home team in Houston? I expect a very tough night. But if the crowd in Houston's temporary home arena yesterday for Tulane was any indication, UC won't be playing in a hostile environment. And UC should be ready for Houston's opening intensity this time around. I hope 'Cats fans in the Houston area show up for the game; it appears good seats will be available.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - JPBearcat3 - 02-12-2018 08:30 AM

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not, so:

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - JPBearcat3 - 02-12-2018 08:39 AM

In fairness, there's also this:

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - bearcatmark - 02-12-2018 08:45 AM

(02-12-2018 08:39 AM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  In fairness, there's also this:

Were people taking that negatively? Seemed pretty dead on to me and complimentary.

As far as Gray's payback comments...good luck.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - bearcatmark - 02-12-2018 08:49 AM

The first stretch was tougher. Despite XU's incredible resume and pulling out some crazy wins I think them and Wichita State are fairly close in terms of how good they are. The difference really is Blueitt has been more dominant at closing than Shamet. However...UC had to go to XU in its first really big game of the year while this Wichita Game is at home. 3 of the 4 in that stretch were away from home, 2 of which were true road games. In this stretch UC also has 2 on the road, but gets the best team they play at home. I'd say full strength SMU is better than UCLA and Mississippi state (and fairly close to Florida), but we haven't seen full strength SMU in some time. That SMU team we played yesterday was a shell of itself.

That first stretch fans flipped out after the first two losses, but UC responded and got what they needed to out of it. Had they stolen the game at X we'd be looking at a 1 seed right now, but as is we're in really good shape. This is the biggest stretch of conference play and UC got off to a great start. Lets get the next 2 and really start dreaming of a top 2 seed and a deep run.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - rath v2.0 - 02-12-2018 10:04 AM

(02-12-2018 08:00 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 06:37 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  All is good if you are in the House channeling our mojo and getting our chakras in line.

True, but will those fouls be called on the home team in Houston? I expect a very tough night. But if the crowd in Houston's temporary home arena yesterday for Tulane was any indication, UC won't be playing in a hostile environment. And UC should be ready for Houston's opening intensity this time around. I hope 'Cats fans in the Houston area show up for the game; it appears good seats will be available.

We are 30-2 against them....I don't recall a ton of home cooking in that gym.

They will try to out tough UC and will live and die by the 3. That is like trying to draw one specific card on an inside straight.

PS; Good seats are always available when its a Houston home game.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - Racinejake - 02-12-2018 10:47 AM

(02-12-2018 10:04 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 08:00 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

We are 30-2 against them....I don't recall a ton of home cooking in that gym.

They will try to out tough UC and will live and die by the 3. That is like trying to draw one specific card on an inside straight.

PS; Good seats are always available when its a Houston home game.

It appears that, except for the first 5 rows, the rest of the arena is General Admission seating. I guess that makes sense for them.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - CincyBro - 02-12-2018 10:53 AM

Voted for current, even though the last WSU game and conf. tourney maybe most important stretch of year.

RE: Which of our stretches are the toughest? - rtaylor - 02-12-2018 11:05 AM

Exactly. Unless they completely change the way they play for one game, which is doubtful. I believe Mick, after the first game said we were shocked by their intensity to start the game. That won't happen again. They are good, we are better.