CSNbbs
Jason Smith on GP - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Jason Smith on GP (/thread-842853.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jason Smith on GP - mapdude - 02-14-2018 07:02 PM

Wow, dude was pretty tough on the old Tubby today.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - Tygrys - 02-14-2018 07:08 PM

Probably no tougher than this season and last season have been on the fans...

Sent from my SM-G955U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Jason Smith on GP - bluebacker - 02-14-2018 07:10 PM

Try the last 4 seasons.......

RE: Jason Smith on GP - Joe1 - 02-14-2018 07:18 PM

(02-14-2018 07:10 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  Try the last 4 seasons.......

You got that right. The situation sucks.

Time for the powers to fix Tiger hoops. Period.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - airric2255 - 02-15-2018 09:26 AM

(02-14-2018 07:18 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

Yep. There is no shame in admitting defeat that Tubby Smith isn't the right fit. If you know it isn't working, why wait?

RE: Jason Smith on GP - tjwillis47 - 02-15-2018 09:52 AM

(02-15-2018 09:26 AM)airric2255 Wrote:  

Yep. There is no shame in admitting defeat that Tubby Smith isn't the right fit. If you know it isn't working, why wait?

i think thats one of the more frustrating things. if you dont think you will offer him an extension, why wait? i get the idea of waiting out year 3 to see what he can do. i understand why tubby supporters say that, but what in the world makes you think yr 3 is going to produce anything better than what is currently on the court

RE: Jason Smith on GP - HometownTiger - 02-15-2018 10:25 AM

Tubby deserves all the criticism he gets from the media. He’s in a highly-visible, high paying job and is not meeting expectations. It’s not personal, though it’s easy to see it that way.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - fsquid - 02-15-2018 10:29 AM

Jason Smith, basically the only Tiger beat writer to not go on to a national gig.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - airric2255 - 02-15-2018 10:33 AM

(02-15-2018 09:52 AM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

i think thats one of the more frustrating things. if you dont think you will offer him an extension, why wait? i get the idea of waiting out year 3 to see what he can do. i understand why tubby supporters say that, but what in the world makes you think yr 3 is going to produce anything better than what is currently on the court

Barring transfers and knowing what we know today, next year you are trading Connor Vanover for Jimario Rivers.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - Tiger1983 - 02-15-2018 10:34 AM

(02-15-2018 10:25 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Tubby deserves all the criticism he gets from the media. He’s in a highly-visible, high paying job and is not meeting expectations. It’s not personal, though it’s easy to see it that way.

I have never found personal attacts useful or enlightening or fair.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - MEMPHIS TIGERS - 02-15-2018 11:20 AM

(02-15-2018 10:33 AM)airric2255 Wrote:  

Barring transfers and knowing what we know today, next year you are trading Connor Vanover for Jimario Rivers.

As of now. Losing Rivers is not going to hurt. We also could add a few more pieces. Not saying the team is all of a sudden going to be great but you would think they should improve by next season. They will def be better next year.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - jgardne - 02-15-2018 01:33 PM

(02-15-2018 10:29 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Jason Smith, basically the only Tiger beat writer to not go on to a national gig.

Because when he was the beat writer he just wrote whatever Pastner wanted. Wolken and Parrish showed a spine when Cal or Pastner would feed them crap. At the very end Smith did finally join the dogpile onto Pastner but after it became evident how bad everything was.

Parrish and Wolken were fine reporting about making it rain, practice fights, etc etc.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - macgar32 - 02-15-2018 01:51 PM

(02-15-2018 01:33 PM)jgardne Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 10:29 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Jason Smith, basically the only Tiger beat writer to not go on to a national gig.

Because when he was the beat writer he just wrote whatever Pastner wanted. Wolken and Parrish showed a spine when Cal or Pastner would feed them crap. At the very end Smith did finally join the dogpile onto Pastner but after it became evident how bad everything was.

Parrish and Wolken were fine reporting about making it rain, practice fights, etc etc.

Lol...

Smith wasn't covering a national program like the others were.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - Stammers - 02-15-2018 02:06 PM

(02-15-2018 01:33 PM)jgardne Wrote:  

Parrish wasn't getting any info from Cal. Wolken got info but was almost always very positive.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - NigelTufnel - 02-15-2018 03:04 PM

Everything else aside, I'd take that trade. Obviously I'd like to have someone else to boot. We really need to #freelik as well to open up a scholly.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - salukiblue - 02-15-2018 03:16 PM

(02-15-2018 11:20 AM)MEMPHIS TIGERS Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 07:18 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  You got that right. The situation sucks.

As of now. Losing Rivers is not going to hurt. We also could add a few more pieces. Not saying the team is all of a sudden going to be great but you would think they should improve by next season. They will def be better next year.

Like how?

Is Martin really going to become a 23 ppg player? Has he hit his peak or is there still more for him?

Thornton and Davenport are what they are, same for Brewton. These guys, after years of playing basketball aren't going to have some magical summer epiphany and change.

You guys fall into the "hope" notion over the "logic" notion when it comes to this every time. Just like you folks tried to convince yourselves the JUCO kids weren't really going to be JUCO level talent and somehow become upper level D1 players (and it hasn't happened) you now expect magic growth over the summer guys who pretty much are what they are.

Vanover will be a net loss next year in a trade for Rivers. Rivers doesn't do a whole lot, but he can guard multiple positions and can get up and down the court. Vanover is averaging 8 and 6 in high school, Rivers is actually averaging 7 and 4 in D1.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - NigelTufnel - 02-15-2018 03:33 PM

(02-15-2018 03:16 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 09:26 AM)airric2255 Wrote:  Yep. There is no shame in admitting defeat that Tubby Smith isn't the right fit. If you know it isn't working, why wait?

Like how?

Is Martin really going to become a 23 ppg player? Has he hit his peak or is there still more for him?

Thornton and Davenport are what they are, same for Brewton. These guys, after years of playing basketball aren't going to have some magical summer epiphany and change.

You guys fall into the "hope" notion over the "logic" notion when it comes to this every time. Just like you folks tried to convince yourselves the JUCO kids weren't really going to be JUCO level talent and somehow become upper level D1 players (and it hasn't happened) you now expect magic growth over the summer guys who pretty much are what they are.

Vanover will be a net loss next year in a trade for Rivers. Rivers doesn't do a whole lot, but he can guard multiple positions and can get up and down the court. Vanover is averaging 8 and 6 in high school, Rivers is actually averaging 7 and 4 in D1.

But Thornton would be the starter and he would be the one getting Rivers minutes I would think.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - salukiblue - 02-15-2018 03:36 PM

(02-15-2018 03:33 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 09:52 AM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  i think thats one of the more frustrating things. if you dont think you will offer him an extension, why wait? i get the idea of waiting out year 3 to see what he can do. i understand why tubby supporters say that, but what in the world makes you think yr 3 is going to produce anything better than what is currently on the court

Like how?

But Thornton would be the starter and he would be the one getting Rivers minutes I would think.

But Thornton won't fall down three times a game.

At least Conover the Giant will look good taking a charge.

And I'd pencil in the Nickel at SF next year but it will be hard to do while sitting out as a transfer at another school.

RE: Jason Smith on GP - salukiblue - 02-15-2018 03:38 PM

Thornton's minutes the last 10 games:

RE: Jason Smith on GP - memtiger1987 - 02-15-2018 05:23 PM

(02-15-2018 03:36 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 03:33 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 10:33 AM)airric2255 Wrote:  Barring transfers and knowing what we know today, next year you are trading Connor Vanover for Jimario Rivers.

Like how?

But Thornton won't fall down three times a game.

At least Conover the Giant will look good taking a charge.

And I'd pencil in the Nickel at SF next year but it will be hard to do while sitting out as a transfer at another school.

I can’t understand the love for Nickelberry. He may be a good player in a couple of years, but he isn’t athletic at all. Can’t score, can’t defend, can’t handle the ball. He’s a pretty good passer, I’ll give you that, but right now he’s not ready for D1 basketball.

Most of these guys will improve next year. Regardless of the coach. I’m not sure why that’s a surprise to you. They had a few months of D1 training. They’ll have another full year of strength and conditioning and a full year to learn the system. Add a few good parts (we need shooters and a PG bad) and we’ll be on the NCAA bubble. I know that’s not what people want, but regardless of the coach, that’s about all we’ll see next year.