CSNbbs
Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? (/thread-844077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - dbackjon - 03-02-2018 05:14 PM

(03-02-2018 05:06 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 01:41 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  WAC - would depend on whether you are counting Key Arena (9K) or Connolly (1K) for Seattle.
UMKC, UVU and Chicago State have big arenas (10.5K, 8.5K and 6K) that aren't close to being filled.

NMSU has a huge 12.5K, and good attendance. GCU sells out their 6.7K arena

CSUB and UTRGV have smallish places.

UTRGV is moving into a new arena for the 2018-2019 season. It will seat 8,500. Cal Baptist will join the WAC in 2018-2019 with their new arena of 5,200 seats, expandable to over 6,000 seats. The Key Arena actually holds 17,000 for basketball. They play half of their games in Key.

They don't open the entire Arena for SU - they have a listed capacity as 8901 for that.

UMKC, Seattle and UTRGV both averaged around 1300 last year, Chicago State around 1K. UVU and CSUB were in the 2600-2900 range.

Only GCU (6.7K) and NMSU (5K) had decent attendance.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - BePcr07 - 03-02-2018 05:23 PM

If Gonzaga departs, look for the WCC to invite Seattle. If Gonzaga and either St. Mary’s or BYU depart, look for the WCC to invite Seattle and Grand Canyon. If all 3 depart, look for the WCC to invite Seattle, Grand Canyon, and perhaps Cal Baptist or stay at 9. I think they’d want Denver but the Pioneers wouldn’t make the move.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-02-2018 05:27 PM

@SoCalBobcat

I'm guessing they only use the lower bowl.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - McKinney - 03-02-2018 05:51 PM

BYU's SB Nation page weighs in on the rumored MWC realignment.
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-basketball/2018/2/28/17064906/gonzaga-basketball-mountain-west-conference-byu-realignment

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - esayem - 03-02-2018 06:19 PM

(03-02-2018 12:21 AM)McKinney Wrote:  
(03-01-2018 06:07 PM)esayem Wrote:  One thing that really hurt the A10 this year was UMass firing their coach and the subsequent mass (lol) exodus of talented players.

Yes that hurt, but it needed to be done.

We shall see. On paper it looks like a complete disaster; could have been your year considering how the rest of the conference is underachieveing. Would have had the best backcourt and true center in the A10.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fighting Muskie - 03-02-2018 07:36 PM

Seattle seems like a perfect fit for the WCC if they have an opening. Grand Canyon I'm not so sure about. I don't know that the small private schools will want a school with the resources of GCU in their midst unless they are simply hoping they can use them as a cash cow.

Any shift among western conferences is a potential death blow to the WAC. Everyone would be vulnerable and no else's dream conference (UMKC-Summit, NMSU-MWC, Utah Valley-Big Sky, UTRGV-S'land) looks poised to make room. It concerns me that in all this time since their near collapse Cal Baptist is the one and only school they've coaxed into moving up.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Stugray2 - 03-02-2018 07:38 PM

Hum, looks like it would maybe involve BYU as well. I guess 13 is no more odd than 11 for scheduling. A 14th would make numbers even, but it would also mean playing rivals would be more infrequent. And there is nobody out there with the consistet value of those two.

My school, SJSU, deserves to get a warning to either significantly upgrade Basketball or get the boot (in Olympics anyway) - that means a concrete investment plan.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - billybobby777 - 03-02-2018 07:54 PM

(03-02-2018 05:51 PM)McKinney Wrote:  BYU's SB Nation page weighs in on the rumored MWC realignment.
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-basketball/2018/2/28/17064906/gonzaga-basketball-mountain-west-conference-byu-realignment

Wow. I guess this is more than smoke. It’s obvious that BYU is talking to the MWC.
I wonder if it’s BYU that’s behind this and trying to take Gonzaga with them?
As far as Gonzaga...they want out of the WCC now. See Wichita St and AAC last year.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fighting Muskie - 03-02-2018 07:57 PM

I see the ideal move being Gonzaga (non-FB), BYU (full), and a 14th full member--NMSU, UTEP, UTSA, UNT, or Rice.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - MWC Tex - 03-02-2018 08:08 PM

(03-02-2018 07:54 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 05:51 PM)McKinney Wrote:  BYU's SB Nation page weighs in on the rumored MWC realignment.

Wow. I guess this is more than smoke. It’s obvious that BYU is talking to the MWC.
As far as Gonzaga...they want out of the WCC now. See Wichita St and AAC last year.
BYU isn't talking to the MW only GU. BYU would have to bring their football team with them and that is the hiccup with bringing BYU back. GU is fine since they don't play football and is a national powerhouse in basketball...not only on the court by fan base and casual fan base....much more the BYU.

BYU still wants to be considered equivalent to Utah and that won't happen if they go to any G5 conference.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fighting Muskie - 03-02-2018 09:22 PM

Personally I think BYU would be better of trying to pull the 3 best MWC schools into the American with them. It's not P5 but who would ever be able to still a NY6 berth from the winner of that group. BYU wins big because they avoid the stigma of returning to the MWC and admitting independence was a failure. If they get a conference home and access to the big bowls.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - billybobby777 - 03-02-2018 09:47 PM

(03-02-2018 09:22 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Personally I think BYU would be better of trying to pull the 3 best MWC schools into the American with them. It's not P5 but who would ever be able to still a NY6 berth from the winner of that group. BYU wins big because they avoid the stigma of returning to the MWC and admitting independence was a failure. If they get a conference home and access to the big bowls.

I think the AAC western wing ship has sailed.
If Gonzaga leaves the WCC and BYU could get an all sports invite to the AAC would you take it? BYU won't stay in that high school gym league then. It would destroy the basketball program....So all sports AAC invite, yes?

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - joeben69 - 03-03-2018 01:38 AM

i speculate gonzaga + byu (non-football) --> mwc...if it happens...
byu probably gets notre dame acc type deal...football stays indy...
mwc already showed that it'll make concession a la boise st & sdsu prodigal son return from aac...

Let’s take a closer look at those Gonzaga/Mountain West Conference rumors
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/3/2/17070850/byu-gonzaga-wcc-mountain-west-conference-relaignment-details

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-03-2018 02:50 AM

(03-02-2018 08:08 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 07:54 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

BYU isn't talking to the MW only GU. BYU would have to bring their football team with them and that is the hiccup with bringing BYU back. GU is fine since they don't play football and is a national powerhouse in basketball...not only on the court by fan base and casual fan base....much more the BYU.

BYU still wants to be considered equivalent to Utah and that won't happen if they go to any G5 conference.

This isn't 2005, Gonzaga doesn't have nearly as big of a casual fanbase as they did before Adam Morrison left. People kept waiting on them to break through but they kept choking. They didn't stop being a dud in the NCAA Tournament until recently.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-03-2018 03:26 AM

What part of "BYU is not joining a conference for football" don't you understand? They join the MWC or even the AAC and Utah can use that against them in recruiting. Whereas Utah is playing for playoff spots, BYU is playing for Access Bowls. Being Indy is all the leverage they have.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Stugray2 - 03-03-2018 04:08 AM

MWC Tex is wrong on the sentiment in the MWC and is ignoring that ALL the talk is of non-Football membership.

Gonzaga + BYU is for Basketball and Olympic sports, end of story. No change in BYU Football status. Heck this could also be because the B12 left hints that BYU might be considered as Football only in an Expansion or Replacement move.

The ex-WAC schools (Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno State, Utah State, Nevada, Boise State) have a favorable view of BYU for the help they provided when they went Indy. Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno St, USU and Boise State --the last two very long-- scheduled series with BYU. Further the ice has melted with the old guard, as SDSU and UNLV have scheduled series with BYU as well. Further New Mexico joined with SDSU, UNLV and others (one was either Wyoming or Colorado State, but I forget which one) to lobby for BYU to come back in Basketball just a couple years ago. Also Tom Holmoe made a point of saying he has a very good relationship with Thompson. There really doesn't look like there is that strong anti-BYU core sentiment anymore, either from the conference office or from the schools. Everyone from coaches to ADs, both at BYU and the MWC, see how the separation hurt both sides in Olympic sports with recruiting and attendance. Football is not part of this.

If this can come together I have no doubt the votes would be unanimous for Gonzaga and BYU as non-Football members. The MWC would be well positioned for the next media contract just a year or so from now, as what looks likely to be a three (3) bid conference just like the American.

I'm 100% on board, just hope they can work it out this Spring and Summer.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - MWC Tex - 03-03-2018 09:33 AM

(03-03-2018 04:08 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  MWC Tex is wrong on the sentiment in the MWC and is ignoring that ALL the talk is of non-Football membership.

Gonzaga + BYU is for Basketball and Olympic sports, end of story. No change in BYU Football status. Heck this could also be because the B12 left hints that BYU might be considered as Football only in an Expansion or Replacement move.

The ex-WAC schools (Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno State, Utah State, Nevada, Boise State) have a favorable view of BYU for the help they provided when they went Indy. Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno St, USU and Boise State --the last two very long-- scheduled series with BYU. Further the ice has melted with the old guard, as SDSU and UNLV have scheduled series with BYU as well. Further New Mexico joined with SDSU, UNLV and others (one was either Wyoming or Colorado State, but I forget which one) to lobby for BYU to come back in Basketball just a couple years ago. Also Tom Holmoe made a point of saying he has a very good relationship with Thompson. There really doesn't look like there is that strong anti-BYU core sentiment anymore, either from the conference office or from the schools. Everyone from coaches to ADs, both at BYU and the MWC, see how the separation hurt both sides in Olympic sports with recruiting and attendance. Football is not part of this.

If this can come together I have no doubt the votes would be unanimous for Gonzaga and BYU as non-Football members. The MWC would be well positioned for the next media contract just a year or so from now, as what looks likely to be a three (3) bid conference just like the American.

I'm 100% on board, just hope they can work it out this Spring and Summer.

You are wrong. Going to 13 is stupid. We are only inviting GU to even out at 12. BYU can come with football and that why the WAC members care about BYU...it isn't their basketball. Nobody in the MW has an issue with Gonzaga, but there is not enough support to bring BYU without football.
BYU football helps the MW. Gonzaga helps the MW. BYU basketball does not help the MW.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fighting Muskie - 03-03-2018 10:02 AM

Letting BYU back in without football takes away all leverage that the conference has over the Cougars. It would be foolhardy to accept anything less.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - RutgersGuy - 03-03-2018 10:10 AM

(03-02-2018 09:22 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Personally I think BYU would be better of trying to pull the 3 best MWC schools into the American with them. It's not P5 but who would ever be able to still a NY6 berth from the winner of that group. BYU wins big because they avoid the stigma of returning to the MWC and admitting independence was a failure. If they get a conference home and access to the big bowls.

No one in the MWC trusts BYU so I don't think they could pull that move off.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Kittonhead - 03-03-2018 11:01 AM

(03-03-2018 10:02 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Letting BYU back in without football takes away all leverage that the conference has over the Cougars. It would be foolhardy to accept anything less.

What did the ACC do for ND? They accepted the arrangement because they realized just an association with ND is valuable.

MWC is a nothing conference at this point, a shell of the near BCS conference that it was back in 2008-2010. Its like the CUSA of the west, expanding desperate to stay in the linear game. In this context accepting a BYU Olympic sport is a good move.

BYU basketball in of itself is a draw and a regular in the NCAA tournament. It would be a nice addition to any conference IMO (PAC, B12 even). Its not a filler bb program as what some are making it to be.