CSNbbs
Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? (/thread-844077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - UTEPDallas - 03-14-2018 01:44 PM

(03-14-2018 12:40 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 09:29 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Gonzaga makes sense to pair with Hawaii football to get to 12. Im sure the mwc would jump to 14 with BYu and utep if byu we’re willing to jump. Not sure if the mwc would jump to 14 with UTEP and another Texas school. It would be dumb for the wcc to not bring in Seattle if Gonzaga left

I do not understand this obsession people have with the Mountain West and UTEP. Why, because it's in Texas? It's 45 miles away from New Mexico State; one can be in New Mexico from the geographic center of El Paso in 15 minutes if traffic is good. The way college sports fans think of Texas, UTEP might as well not be in Texas at all. NMSU would be an exponentially better addition that recruits virtually the same territory. It adds better quality and fan support to the basketball league, plus a rivalry with UNM that makes for excellent atmosphere and probably for much better viewing than UTEP vs. anybody currently in the conference.

The Mountain West is not a league that is obsessed with getting maximum TV exposure, as evidenced by their desire to have greater control over football kickoff times; they want atmosphere and fan engagement on the local level and the best quality product possible. Adding UTEP over NMSU - whether UNM wants to keep the Aggies out or not - is a short-sighted move that doesn't jive with the idea that the league wants to be more competitive in basketball. You're better off staying with 12 at that point.

Because UTEP has a long history with the Front Range schools. That’s why.

UTEP’s biggest rival is New Mexico. Back in the old WAC days, that was THE basketball rivalry. The MWC does not need UTEP, it’s no longer on survival mode. But if expansion is under consideration, UTEP would be considered due to the history with most MWC schools plus having MWC level facilities and fan support.

As for NMSU, they’re a nice school but don’t deliver a new market. They’ll forever be second fiddle in El Paso and Albuquerque.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - jdgaucho - 03-14-2018 01:47 PM

(03-14-2018 11:16 AM)puck swami Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 12:50 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Denver isn't getting into the MWC - ever. They suck and have no fans.

"They Suck" is a very harsh, and somewhat inaccurate assessment. Denver was 15-15 this year and third place in the Summit League, the second year under a new coaching staff. That's a mediocre record in a solid, 17th-ranked conference.

Head-to-head, DU did well against the MWC schools that would schedule the Pioneers. DU beat Wyoming (by 10) and San Jose State from the MWC and came within a basket of beating Air Force in the three MWC games played this year - 2-1 vs MWC. In most years, DU would likely be a mid-pack MWC team with the current level of recruits that they get. If they became a MWC member, their recruiting level would go up, and I think DU could be very competitive in short order.

DU has a $35 million sports budget without football, which would be mid-mid pack in the MWC already and spends $3 million a year on basketball, and facilities are all excellent and under 18 years old.

As for fans, it's chicken and egg. Right now, playing Summit league teams with a mediocre record is not going to be a big draw here. That said, DU has proven it can average 5,400 fans per game (as in 2012) when the team was winning 22 games per year, and that was playing mostly teams with no local recognition. If Denver were to be a MWC team, attendance would likely go up to 6,000-7,000 per game, and Denver area also has a strong base of fans from other MWC schools.

In short, Denver could bring a lot to the MWC table:
-Good location in league footprint
-Large Denver TV market (top 25) with large media presence
-Easy travel with low cost, direct flights (hub airport)
-Academic prestige (top 85 university)
-Attractive travel destination
-Nice newer facilities
-Strong budgets
-Strong MWC alumni area
-Top non football athletic department in America, with 33 NCAA D-I championships in history
-Most Olympic sports would be immediate contenders in the MWC

In short, Denver doesn't suck, and the fans would come if the Pioneers could schedule attractive MWC opponents.

Unfortunately Puck, the MWC doesn't care about non-revenue sports. Denver volleyball and men's soccer would definitely strengthen that conference. Hockey, lacrosse, skiing and gymnastics, not so much.

So it comes down to basketball and Denver has been roughly .500 overall since joining the Summit. Home attendance would obviously shoot up with games vs UNLV, Boise, New Mexico and Fresno. But would Denver be a good draw on the road?

I like Denver. It's just Gonzaga is now that far ahead of you. All those benefits you listed would make for a much more natural fit in a Zag-less WCC.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - DoubleRSU - 03-14-2018 02:38 PM

(03-14-2018 09:29 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Gonzaga makes sense to pair with Hawaii football to get to 12. Im sure the mwc would jump to 14 with BYu and utep if byu we’re willing to jump. Not sure if the mwc would jump to 14 with UTEP and another Texas school. It would be dumb for the wcc to not bring in Seattle if Gonzaga left

I do not understand this obsession people have with the Mountain West and UTEP. Why, because it's in Texas? It's 45 miles away from New Mexico State; one can be in New Mexico from the geographic center of El Paso in 15 minutes if traffic is good. The way college sports fans think of Texas, UTEP might as well not be in Texas at all. NMSU would be an exponentially better addition that recruits virtually the same territory. It adds better quality and fan support to the basketball league, plus a rivalry with UNM that makes for excellent atmosphere and probably for much better viewing than UTEP vs. anybody currently in the conference.

The Mountain West is not a league that is obsessed with getting maximum TV exposure, as evidenced by their desire to have greater control over football kickoff times; they want atmosphere and fan engagement on the local level and the best quality product possible. Adding UTEP over NMSU - whether UNM wants to keep the Aggies out or not - is a short-sighted move that doesn't jive with the idea that the league wants to be more competitive in basketball. You're better off staying with 12 at that point.

LMAO. UTEP was conference rivals with most MWC teams, that is why they're constantly brought up. NMSU football is traditionally horrible and are lucky to draw 15,000 for any non-UTEP/UNM game.

NMSU basketball, despite their success, still draws LESS than UTEP. No conference would choose NMSU over UTEP.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Nerdlinger - 03-14-2018 02:39 PM

(03-14-2018 01:34 PM)YNot Wrote:  Just saw this quote from Mark Few: "We’ve talked with a bunch of people, not just (the Mountain West). I guess this is just the one that leaked out. Were going to do what’s best for Gonzaga."

https://twitter.com/KREMEvan/status/973984569400545281

Where would Gonzaga possibly go other than the MWC? Anything else is a step down or impractical.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fresno St. Alum - 03-14-2018 02:48 PM

(03-14-2018 02:39 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 01:34 PM)YNot Wrote:  Just saw this quote from Mark Few: "We’ve talked with a bunch of people, not just (the Mountain West). I guess this is just the one that leaked out. Were going to do what’s best for Gonzaga."

Where would Gonzaga possibly go other than the MWC? Anything else is a step down or impractical.
They talked to the Pac-12. They said ah you guys are cute, how many football championships do you have? Did I miss something where WSU or UW were leaving the conference? Go talk to the MWC. Bye

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - solohawks - 03-14-2018 02:49 PM

They have probably talked with WCC leadership as well about possible changes in revenue distribution.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fresno St. Alum - 03-14-2018 02:55 PM

to whoever said Gonzaga to the MWC and realignment is done. I've been following realignment for 28 years, 1 thing it never is, is done. 1 domino knocks over another domino. New TV contracts create new dominoes. Every school wants to climb up 1 more rung on that ladder of relevance. UCF is one of the most notable rung climbers from D-II to TAAC/A-Sun all the way up to the AAC

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - jdgaucho - 03-14-2018 02:56 PM

(03-14-2018 02:48 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

They talked to the Pac-12. They said ah you guys are cute, how many football championships do you have? Did I miss something where WSU or UW were leaving the conference? Go talk to the MWC. Bye

What conference has sent nearly all of its members to the NCAA Tournament within the last decade, has a deal with ESPN, boasts quality academics and who is close enough for all of Gonzaga's sports?  That would be the Big West, naturally. 03-lmfao

With Cal State Fullerton winning the auto bid, that's nine different BW representatives in the last 10 years.  A commitment to stepping up - Cal State Northridge just hired Mark Gottfried as their head coach, formerly of Alabama and NC State.  You ain't seeing that from LMU, Santa Clara or USF.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Nerdlinger - 03-14-2018 02:57 PM

The Pac falls under impractical.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Stugray2 - 03-14-2018 03:03 PM

(03-14-2018 02:49 PM)solohawks Wrote:  They have probably talked with WCC leadership as well about possible changes in revenue distribution.

It's not about money. At least not in the near term. Gonzaga is a very wealthy institution. Besides I'm not sure how much the WCC would be willing to skew, as it breaks the equal among brothers thing. The MWC media money is steady and larger. Yes, financially Gonzaga probably is $1-2m underwater with the changeover, but they think in five or more years they will more than be made whole.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fresno St. Alum - 03-14-2018 03:09 PM

(03-14-2018 02:56 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

What conference has sent nearly all of its members to the NCAA Tournament within the last decade, has a deal with ESPN, boasts quality academics and who is close enough for all of Gonzaga's sports?  That would be the Big West, naturally. 03-lmfao

With Cal State Fullerton winning the auto bid, that's nine different BW representatives in the last 10 years.  A commitment to stepping up - Cal State Northridge just hired Mark Gottfried as their head coach, formerly of Alabama and NC State.  You ain't seeing that from LMU, Santa Clara or USF.

I've been waiting since 1990 for the ghost of Hank Gathers to comeback and make Loyola Marymount a good tournament team.

Yeah I like doing the bids by school/conf. for the Big West all the names but UCR are on the list(hoping for them 1 day) and no huge gaps between the years.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Nerdlinger - 03-14-2018 03:14 PM

(03-14-2018 02:56 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

What conference has sent nearly all of its members to the NCAA Tournament within the last decade, has a deal with ESPN, boasts quality academics and who is close enough for all of Gonzaga's sports?  That would be the Big West, naturally.

Big West falls under "step down."

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-14-2018 04:50 PM

(03-14-2018 11:47 AM)michael.stevens.3110 Wrote:  I like the idea of also adding U of Denver ... Excellent Academics .. Great Sports market .. right in the middle of MW ...Maybe Gonzaga , Denver .. One more ..??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LOL at Denver.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Fighting Muskie - 03-14-2018 05:33 PM

If the WCC loses Gonzaga they have 3 schools with no good travel partners: Portland, San Diego, and BYU. Whoever they bring in will likely be near one of those.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-14-2018 06:07 PM

If Gonzaga leaves, I think BYU is gone too. The WAC is actually not as bad as it used to seem and actually has a regional travel partner, as well as two schools in (roughly) bordering states.

Granted, if both leave, it's possible Seattle leaves to the WCC. Short of UCSD and SDSU joining a poor fit, San Diego won't ever have a regional travel partner unless the WCC takes a flyer on Cal Baptist.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - DoubleRSU - 03-14-2018 06:13 PM

I doubt the WCC is taking Seattle, as they do not make up for Gonzaga's loss. No way BYU leaves the WCC for the WAC. I would love to see it happen, but the WAC is unstable. I'm sure BYU would rather play Portland and LMU over Chicago St, any day of the week.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - NoDak - 03-14-2018 06:27 PM

(03-14-2018 06:07 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  If Gonzaga leaves, I think BYU is gone too. The WAC is actually not as bad as it used to seem and actually has a regional travel partner, as well as two schools in (roughly) bordering states.

Granted, if both leave, it's possible Seattle leaves to the WCC. Short of UCSD and SDSU joining a poor fit, San Diego won't ever have a regional travel partner unless the WCC takes a flyer on Cal Baptist.

Don’t see any way that BYU joins the WAC if UVU is there. UVU is seen as the local JV to BYU. Students send those spouses to UVU because they can’t get into BYU. Not knocking UVU or anything, but Houston joining the Southland to be with Houston Baptist or DePaul joining the WAC because Chicago St is there are just as likely. Granted, Chicago St is only a contracted member of the WAC, and that contract might not be renewed.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - billybobby777 - 03-14-2018 06:34 PM

Come out and say who you'd guess Gonzaga would join?
PAC--in their wildest dreams
Big East--See PAC plus add a million miles to it
AAC--Do they have DIRECT flights from Spokane to Greenville or Wichita or Stoors?
WAC-Zags like New Mexico St a lot? Maybe Chicago St?
Big West-get that Hawaii market for recruits?
Big Sky-uh. Uh Uh.
ACC-Duke vs Gonzaga would be an instant classic. So would Notre Dame vs Zags
MWC-Simply doesn't make any sense geographically or economically for zags.
WCC-stay the course. Then what the heck have we been talking about this whole time and why? Gonzaga: say you are staying the course please. End the rumors!

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-14-2018 06:53 PM

(03-14-2018 06:13 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  I doubt the WCC is taking Seattle, as they do not make up for Gonzaga's loss. No way BYU leaves the WCC for the WAC. I would love to see it happen, but the WAC is unstable. I'm sure BYU would rather play Portland and LMU over Chicago St, any day of the week.

They don't make up for Gonzaga's loss as much as just being a viable replacement, helping keep a strong Pacific Northwest presence for the WCC.

BYU would have been in a much better WAC had the MWC not stepped in and **** blocked by adding core WAC members as BYU was ready to head that way. No one wants to play Chicago State but the WAC is not any worse than the WCC without Gonzaga. NMSU even has more viability than St. Mary's, who just has coach that's mastered a great recruiting system.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 03-14-2018 07:17 PM

Actually your points backfire. UTEP would be a good fit for the MWC because it's more or less not in Texas and basically in New Mexico.