CSNbbs
Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? (/thread-844077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 04-01-2018 06:17 AM

You give St. Mary's a conditional membership. I think they just don't have anything to entice the MWC other than recent on court success.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - The Cutter of Bish - 04-01-2018 07:39 AM

(04-01-2018 12:42 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  If they have a chance to get out, they should at first opportunity, otherwise I don't ever want to hear Mark Few complain about what the WCC is or isn't doing as he has done for decades. Step up in weight class.

Few doesn't make the vote, McCulloh does. And presidents don't see these things the same way as coaches.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - MWC Tex - 04-01-2018 09:39 AM

(03-31-2018 10:30 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 09:09 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  sucks. I hope the bigger conference schedules by the P6 make them reconsider down the road. Or just see if BYU will ever cave and bring all sports back and add 1 Texas school w/ them

Gonzaga staying in the WCC means that BYU has even less reason to ever go back to the Mountain West.

Thompson's comments in that article are amusing: "There are just some things in there that I don’t think our membership would have accepted. They’re offering some things that probably don’t make sense for our league." Ummm, Craig, has anyone ever told you what your conference did to keep Boise State around? 07-coffee3

From another article,

"They’re much more favorable to ESPN,” Thompson said of Gonzaga. “They can carve out a portion of their own (TV) package. People in our conference are still questioning why Boise State has a carve-out in football (with ESPN), so I know that doesn’t fly.”

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Attackcoog - 04-01-2018 11:38 AM

(04-01-2018 09:39 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 09:09 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  sucks. I hope the bigger conference schedules by the P6 make them reconsider down the road. Or just see if BYU will ever cave and bring all sports back and add 1 Texas school w/ them

Gonzaga staying in the WCC means that BYU has even less reason to ever go back to the Mountain West.

Thompson's comments in that article are amusing: "There are just some things in there that I don’t think our membership would have accepted. They’re offering some things that probably don’t make sense for our league." Ummm, Craig, has anyone ever told you what your conference did to keep Boise State around? 07-coffee3

From another article,

"They’re much more favorable to ESPN,” Thompson said of Gonzaga. “They can carve out a portion of their own (TV) package. People in our conference are still questioning why Boise State has a carve-out in football (with ESPN), so I know that doesn’t fly.”

Yup. That Boise deal clearly been a source of friction almost since the first season it became active. Does it go away after this TV contract ends or is it part of the MW bylaws now?

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - MWC Tex - 04-01-2018 02:56 PM

(04-01-2018 11:38 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

From another article,

Yup. That Boise deal clearly been a source of friction almost since the first season it became active. Does it go away after this TV contract ends or is it part of the MW bylaws now?

Seems like if there is no ESPN contract, it would go away. If ESPN is in some way involved, it'll be part of the BSU contract indefinitely.

I wonder if there is any April's Fools Day jokes going on here.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 04-01-2018 03:17 PM

(04-01-2018 07:39 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(04-01-2018 12:42 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  If they have a chance to get out, they should at first opportunity, otherwise I don't ever want to hear Mark Few complain about what the WCC is or isn't doing as he has done for decades. Step up in weight class.

Few doesn't make the vote, McCulloh does. And presidents don't see these things the same way as coaches.

My point is if he isn't pushing for this, then I don't want to hear him complain about WCC schools and their lack of will/ability to compete. The WCC more or less is what it is.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - billybobby777 - 04-01-2018 04:10 PM

(04-01-2018 02:56 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-01-2018 11:38 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

From another article,

Seems like if there is no ESPN contract, it would go away. If ESPN is in some way involved, it'll be part of the BSU contract indefinitely.

I wonder if there is any April's Fools Day jokes going on here.

Yes, much like the ACC espn contract, Boise has a life long contract with ESPN

Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Jjoey52 - 04-01-2018 07:16 PM

(04-01-2018 03:59 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  People have not read the few article again. Gonzaga is still holding meetings and talks with the MWC. It does not say that they are leaving yet. WCC have nothing to offer for them anymore. MWC have more to offer with SOS than WCC. WCC only give 2 schools that helps them out. MWC have UNLV, UNR, San Diego State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Wyoming, New Mexico and Boise State that have recent basketball. Maybe they may not join this year? The MWC could offer Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and BYU a spot in the MWC with UTEP to go to 16. They could add Grand Canyon U. for 16 all sports and 14 football. Grand Canyon is the Olympic sports for Hawaii's football only.

As someone pointed out, a divide among D1 is coming, and the better basketball schools want out to be part of the FBS group for all sports. WCC would be the FCS basketball Olympic sports which regulates BYU, Saint Mary's and Gonzaga away from the big boys. There is no guarantee that the Big East would be part of the big boys either. They could be regulated to FCS Olympic sports as well.

David, that was a well thought out intelligent post, but wrong. BYU will not return to the MWC as they feel superior to the rest and they burned bridges with many of the schools. UTEP brings nothing to the table, GCU is many years away from being considered. St. Mary’s brings nothing except a good coach. The only one at this time being seriously discussed is Gonzaga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Native Georgian - 04-01-2018 09:28 PM

I thought all along this move was great/perfect for the MWC, but just decent/whatever for Gonzaga. Not surprised if the Zags have either changed their mind or else were just using the Mtn. as a ploy to squeeze more juice out of the WCC.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - The Cutter of Bish - 04-02-2018 04:35 AM

(04-01-2018 03:17 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(04-01-2018 07:39 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

My point is if he isn't pushing for this, then I don't want to hear him complain about WCC schools and their lack of will/ability to compete. The WCC more or less is what it is.

Who says he isn't? Few may be done with the WCC, but Gonzaga certainly may not be.

More than anything, if Gonzaga doesn't budge, I think we can start the farewell tour for Mark Few. Maybe it's time he gives the pro game a shot.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 04-02-2018 04:42 AM

Gonzaga should have demanded a 14-game schedule with guaranteed games against the other top 5 teams, which should include games with SMC and BYU most years. That's how you really make the biggest difference schedule-wise. 2 fewer games does nothing and even opens the possibility you won't see a team that can boost your RPI as opposed to others.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - The Cutter of Bish - 04-02-2018 04:59 AM

(04-02-2018 04:42 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  2 fewer games does nothing and even opens the possibility you won't see a team that can boost your RPI as opposed to others.

This is why I think this matter is far from over, even if paused.

Flush out what Gonzaga really gets out of the deal, and, beyond an altered credit share structure, it's nothing more than protection from the metric damage provided by the conference schedule. I mean, is that REALLY a bargaining chip?

And the credit structure isn't that great. Why? Because when it's only Gonzaga who's going to the tournament, that's still all their money. The structure looks good on paper, but assumes more than one team goes to the tournament and collects money for the conference. That...doesn't happen for the WCC as often as folks think. So, all Gonzaga gets is an unknown percentage more to get what it is rightfully theirs anyway...

...and we're supposed to believe there's no better deal out there. Sure.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - C2__ - 04-02-2018 05:29 AM

Indeed, since BYU joined they only have 3 Tournament appearances. Saint Mary's, screwed by the committee or not, only has 6 appearances under Bennett in 17 seasons. Add in the years he was snubbed, and it's 9-10. SMC only has 4 bids in the last decade. Gonzaga really has been carrying the load.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - The Cutter of Bish - 04-02-2018 08:22 AM

(04-02-2018 05:29 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Indeed, since BYU joined they only have 3 Tournament appearances. Saint Mary's, screwed by the committee or not, only has 6 appearances under Bennett in 17 seasons. Add in the years he was snubbed, and it's 9-10. SMC only has 4 bids in the last decade. Gonzaga really has been carrying the load.

The ideal situation for Gonzaga is going to be to receive the backpay for the adjusted credit distribution, and then skip town. That is, if there isn't some monster deal in the works (like joining a P6 conference; unlikely), and they leave now.

Another thing to consider, and, who knows...maybe this is something Gonzaga anticipates and will see come to pass, and then use on its way out; what Gonzaga gets back from the conference in terms of distributions and what Gonzaga will now have to pay out of pocket to fill out its non-conference slate: the money won't add up.

For what the WCC is now and what it will be without Gonzaga, it makes a lot of sense to keep the conference schedule larger. Your schedule fills out, and you aren't spending out of your budget to fill out your calendar any more than the conference standard. I get that the gesture is huge to those who think this is a sign Gonzaga's a WCC-lifer; I doubt it's sustainable. And, really, do the math...you're going to see bad performers getting less money now but have to pay into a larger non-conference segment, and spend to participate in MTE's. That's not going to last. I do believe there are programs in the WCC that want to be more competitive. I believe, however, that others were just fine with the status-quo. And while some of these schools have deep pockets, none of them print money. Basketball won't dictate the course at these institutions.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - joeben69 - 04-02-2018 11:34 AM

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson says Gonzaga likely to remain in WCC; GU officials caught a little off guard by comments
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/31/mountain-west-commissioner-craig-thompson-says-gon/

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - arkstfan - 04-02-2018 11:54 AM

(04-02-2018 11:34 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson says Gonzaga likely to remain in WCC; GU officials caught a little off guard by comments
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/31/mountain-west-commissioner-craig-thompson-says-gon/

Classic Thompson. Signaling it's over before the school says its over.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - Attackcoog - 04-02-2018 12:20 PM

(04-02-2018 11:54 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 11:34 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson says Gonzaga likely to remain in WCC; GU officials caught a little off guard by comments

lol. Yup---but there is a chance that Gonzaga thought this would lead to an even better deal with the MW--and Thompson was simply making it clear that it would not. My guess is Thompson is probably on very solid ground with his presidents. I dont think there is any appetite at all to offer special deals after the Boise deal backlash. Not a huge Thompson fan---but he' s not terrible. He certainly out maneuvered Aresco in late 2012.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - stever20 - 04-02-2018 12:38 PM

(04-02-2018 12:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 11:54 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

lol. Yup---but there is a chance that Gonzaga thought this would lead to an even better deal with the MW--and Thompson was simply making it clear that it would not. My guess is Thompson is probably on very solid ground with his presidents. I dont think there is any appetite at all to offer special deals after the Boise deal backlash. Not a huge Thompson fan---but he' s not terrible. He certainly out maneuvered Aresco in late 2012.

Maybe Aresco got what he wanted in 2012- to not have Boise and San Diego St.

I do think Thompson was posturing here that what they have is their final offer. Gonzaga's reaction is interesting.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-02-2018 01:43 PM

(04-02-2018 05:29 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Indeed, since BYU joined they only have 3 Tournament appearances. Saint Mary's, screwed by the committee or not, only has 6 appearances under Bennett in 17 seasons. Add in the years he was snubbed, and it's 9-10. SMC only has 4 bids in the last decade. Gonzaga really has been carrying the load.

Why I’m not convinced Gonzaga in the WCC is best for Saint Mary’s.

RE: Gonzaga and the MWC have talked? - solohawks - 04-02-2018 01:54 PM

Sounds like MWC commish negotiating through the media and we have reached the take it or leave it portion of the negotiation.