CSNbbs
Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? (/thread-844818.html)

Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - DoubleRSU - 03-07-2018 06:51 PM

Could happen to Arizona St this year. I think they will get in with the usual BS, but could see them left out depending on results.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 03-07-2018 06:54 PM

I went to their game around XMas this year. Led Pacific by 40 and Hurley’s on the sideline stomping his feet and cursing like a sailor at the officials. Couldn’t happen to a better guy.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - dbackjon - 03-07-2018 06:56 PM

I don't think they were ever #1

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - DoubleRSU - 03-07-2018 07:12 PM

My mistake, #2, but still.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - leofrog - 03-07-2018 07:45 PM

(03-07-2018 06:51 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Could happen to Arizona St this year. I think they will get in with the usual BS, but could see them left out depending on results.

What’s the usual BS? If the committee feels that ASU has done enough for the ENTIRE year, they will be in. If not, they won’t. I do think they may be given the benefit of the doubt with the wins they have. I don’t have a problem with it, but do think they’ll be sweating it out until Sunday, but good thing they are an A!!

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - arkstfan - 03-07-2018 07:52 PM

Before the NCAA Tournament allowed more than one team per conference I'm sure it happened quite frequently

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - Captain Bearcat - 03-07-2018 07:59 PM

RPI = 51
Strength of Schedule = 79 (lower than Buffalo, Middle Tennessee, Rhode Island, and Nevada)
7-6 on the road & neutral
KenPom = 45
Sagarin = 45
8-10 in the 6th or 7th best conference
Lost 5 of their last 6 games, all but one of which was against teams that aren't going to any postseason tournament.

Yeah, there's not a chance in hell.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - Cyniclone - 03-07-2018 08:05 PM

It appears the 1974-75 N.C. State team, ranked No. 1 in the preseason after winning the title the previous season, did not make the tournament. It was the first year that non-conference champions were eligible for berths and, as far as I can tell, they're the only preseason No. 1 to not make the tournament. Of course, it was a much smaller tournament then and I highly doubt that a 22-6 fourth-place ACC team wouldn't be invited in the 64/68-team era.

Can't seem to find anything about a team ranked No. 1 at any point in the season missing the tournament for non-probation reasons, at least in the modern era.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - JRsec - 03-07-2018 08:39 PM

(03-07-2018 07:12 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  My mistake, #2, but still.

Hyperbole to make a point? Hmm. Gee, I don't think that has ever happened around here before.......................................MUCH!

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - DoubleRSU - 03-07-2018 09:17 PM

No, sorry I thought they were number 1 at one point this season. What point am I trying to make? Was just generally interested. They've tanked bad since then.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - Wedge - 03-07-2018 09:57 PM

(03-07-2018 06:54 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I went to their game around XMas this year. Led Pacific by 40 and Hurley’s on the sideline stomping his feet and cursing like a sailor at the officials. Couldn’t happen to a better guy.

Age/maturity has not made Hurley more likable than he was at Duke. 07-coffee3

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - Wedge - 03-09-2018 12:22 AM

A Washington Post sportswriter listed all of the teams before this season, since the NCAA tournament first had 64 teams, who were ranked in the AP top 5 at some point and were not selected for the NCAA tournament.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/08/bubble-teams-arizona-state-oklahoma-and-notre-dame-are-flirting-with-historic-sadness/

Quote:Arizona State, Oklahoma and Notre Dame share something else besides March Madness uncertainty, however: All three teams are teetering on the bubble despite having been ranked in the top 5 of the Associated Press poll at some point this season. Should any of them miss the NCAA tournament, they would join a small, unfortunate group of early high achievers who couldn’t close the deal.
Quote:Indiana 2016-17: No. 3 (third poll of the season)
Kentucky 2012-13: No. 3 (first two polls)
Alabama 2006-07: No. 4 (fifth poll)
LSU 2006-07: No. 5 (preseason poll; rough year for the SEC)
Louisville 2005-06: No. 4 (sixth poll)
Missouri 2003-04: No. 3 (fourth poll)
Michigan 1996-97: No. 4 (sixth and seventh polls)
Virginia 2001-02: No. 4 (seventh and eighth polls, as of now the lone team to miss the tournament after reaching such heights after the new year)
Indiana 1984-85: No. 4 (preseason poll)

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - The Cutter of Bish - 03-09-2018 05:52 AM

I wonder if we'll ever see anything like the 92-93 UNLV team ever again...ranked every week of the season, didn't make the tournament. Peaked at 10 (for two weeks), and was at that spot on 2/1. Lost the first game in the NIT (knowing Rollie, totally not surprising).

I think Arizona State is going to get in because of those non-conference wins. Those wins are the constants in this whole thing; wins against tournament teams...the better the team, the better your chances. Oklahoma's got some okay ones...I think they're the one more likely to sit at home. Notre Dame's just out.

RE: Has a team ever been #1 in late Dec and not gone to the NCAAT? - billybobby777 - 03-09-2018 05:52 PM

Arizona St won’t be in the tournament