CSNbbs
Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? (/thread-925936.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Shannon Panther - 07-27-2021 01:42 PM

I am not saying that we are going to expand. Had we been in talks with Texas and Oklahoma we would not have been blindsided by this move.

That said, I think it would be prudent to open preliminary talks with Cincinnati. Who else? Houston? TCU? Baylor? Kansas? Oklahoma State? Navy?

I omitted WVU since I presume they have already approached us. I also omitted Notre Dame since they have a contractual obligation to join us if they join a conference before the end of the current GOR. I also assume no expansion would happen without input from ND.

I also assume that we are consulting with ESPN as to the value of adding different schools. Though you can bet the WWL knew all about Texas and Oklahoma and didn't give us a heads up on that.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - curtis0620 - 07-27-2021 01:55 PM

Penn State and Notre Dame

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - TodgeRodge - 07-27-2021 02:01 PM

well if you want to go all in you talk to the top teams in the PAC 12....USC, UCLA, UW, Oregon

from there the obvious.....any team from the Big 12 you think adds value or holds their own

and really what that means is get ESPN on the phone and see if they will take the call and what they think and what they will pay for

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - domer1978 - 07-27-2021 02:07 PM

Pac 12
WVU is non-starter I imagine

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Shannon Panther - 07-27-2021 02:12 PM

(07-27-2021 01:55 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Penn State and Notre Dame

We are already talking to ND and I doubt Penn State's President would take the call.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - ecuacc4ever - 07-27-2021 02:16 PM

The league can talk all it wants...

Unless B1G doesn't have a buyout, all of them (including Penn State) are locked in.
Notre Dame is set until 2036 -- the ACC can't really push ND's Olympic sports and hoops out. Again, contracts and all.

Speaking of ND's presence which spreads the ACC footprint out to near Chicago -- if ESPN thinks Iowa State increases the bottom line of the ACC's TV deal, that's probably the only school worth talking to (public land-grant school).

The ACC is either "stuck" or "stable" (depending on your outlook) until the end of the current agreement (June 30, 2036).

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - curtis0620 - 07-27-2021 02:17 PM

Then ACC/SEC merger + 2 for 32 team Super League (ESPN).

Then B1G/PAC merger + 6 for 32 team Super League (FOX).

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - CliftonAve - 07-27-2021 02:24 PM

(07-27-2021 01:42 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I am not saying that we are going to expand. Had we been in talks with Texas and Oklahoma we would not have been blindsided by this move.

That said, I think it would be prudent to open preliminary talks with Cincinnati. Who else? Houston? TCU? Baylor? Kansas? Oklahoma State? Navy?

I omitted WVU since I presume they have already approached us. I also omitted Notre Dame since they have a contractual obligation to join us if they join a conference before the end of the current GOR. I also assume no expansion would happen without input from ND.

I also assume that we are consulting with ESPN as to the value of adding different schools. Though you can bet the WWL knew all about Texas and Oklahoma and didn't give us a heads up on that.

I was browsing Pitt's Rivals board and I was a bit taken back how little respect UC got in the threads. Not that I am blaming you (I think I know your username on that board) but a lot of the people viewed the Bearcats as a glorified Akron.

I am not hear to advocate for UC to the ACC because I know we are way down many people's list on here; but why do you think so many Pitt fans hold UC in such low regard? I seem to recall playing in a conference with you guys and holding our own (winning 4 out of the last 5). I seem to recall UC bringing 15,000 fans to Heinz Field in 2009. I seem to recall UC winning the Big East in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and going 10-3 in 2007.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - CardinalJim - 07-27-2021 02:27 PM

WVU, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Kansas

Bilas merger scenario, especially one where ACC football schools are dumped in favor of SEC dregs is a nonstarter. I called it excrement yesterday. I believe that describes it well.

With that being said I would expect The ACC to do what The ACC always does, until they are forced too, just like The Big 12 and that’s nothing.

Then again The ACC might have its eye on Kansas. Always looking for a basketball answer to a football problem.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - curtis0620 - 07-27-2021 02:29 PM

They should try to get into Texas also.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Shannon Panther - 07-27-2021 03:19 PM

(07-27-2021 02:24 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 01:42 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I am not saying that we are going to expand. Had we been in talks with Texas and Oklahoma we would not have been blindsided by this move.

I was browsing Pitt's Rivals board and I was a bit taken back how little respect UC got in the threads. Not that I am blaming you (I think I know your username on that board) but a lot of the people viewed the Bearcats as a glorified Akron.

I am not hear to advocate for UC to the ACC because I know we are way down many people's list on here; but why do you think so many Pitt fans hold UC in such low regard? I seem to recall playing in a conference with you guys and holding our own (winning 4 out of the last 5). I seem to recall UC bringing 15,000 fans to Heinz Field in 2009. I seem to recall UC winning the Big East in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and going 10-3 in 2007.

My username on Rivals is the same as here. I doubt you see anything I post though. I restrict my time to the premium boards. The open boards are populated by trolls, morons, and moronic trolls. I have been a long time proponent of adding Cincy. WVU has more history with the ACC, but I think Cincy brings more in the future. Adding Ohio to the ACC footprint brings dollars and interest in a new area.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - connecticutguy - 07-27-2021 03:40 PM

UConn, Kansas

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Statefan - 07-27-2021 03:52 PM

(07-27-2021 02:12 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 01:55 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Penn State and Notre Dame

We are already talking to ND and I doubt Penn State's President would take the call.

Why would Barron need to take a call when the discussion has already been had with him?

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - TexanMark - 07-27-2021 04:13 PM

Get in a smoke filled room filled with fat guys drinking Kentucky Bourbon and part us all out to the B1G and SEC. Oh sorry that was how it was done in 1962.

WV and Cincy are two possibilities

However, the ACC needs to talk merger with the B12 and PAC12

Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Lenvillecards - 07-27-2021 04:17 PM

You talk with ESPN first. Wouldn’t hurt to put feelers out towards A&M & Missouri. IF they develop wondering eyes, it would be better for ESPN to put them in the ACC then let them go to the B1G. If Fox wasn’t making anything on the B12, how much are they making on the B1G? Get ESPN support to bring in Penn St. Maybe ‘pie in the sky’ but if it makes ESPN $$$ they can make it happen. The list of schools that adds $ to the ACC is limited & don’t involve remnants. I wouldn’t rule ND 100% out either, I don’t think ESPN is done with realignment yet. I would also start the conversation about replacing the Big12 in the Peach Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - CrazyPaco - 07-27-2021 04:21 PM

(07-27-2021 02:24 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

It's not low regard they hold you in. Essentially, they just don't care. Pitt has hardly any history with Cincinnati and does not consider it either a rival or traditional opponent. Pitt's history is in the east and with former eastern independents like Penn State, WVU, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Miami, BC, Virginia Tech, and even Navy. Cincinnati played in major college football for about 10 seconds, struck gold on a couple coaching hires, and some of their fans seems to think that a handful of good years alone should put it in the same category of interest as programs that have 100 years of history of playing in the highest levels football, major bowl and national championships, big-name alumni, and generational rivalries. It does not.

Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - Lenvillecards - 07-27-2021 04:34 PM

(07-27-2021 04:13 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Get in a smoke filled room filled with fat guys drinking Kentucky Bourbon and part us all out to the B1G and SEC. Oh sorry that was how it was done in 1962.

WV and Cincy are two possibilities

However, the ACC needs to talk merger with the B12 and PAC12

Besides maybe Oklahoma St, there isn’t anyone worth merging with out of the B12. Maybe a Texas school? A partial merger with the PAC is interesting though.

ACC/PAC?
West: UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Wash, Oregon

Central: Arizona, Ariz State, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma St, TT(or any other Texas school)

Atlantic & Coastal remains the same. ND adds a game to the agreement (1 from the west).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - 3BNole - 07-27-2021 05:00 PM

Baron (Penn State) was president during my time at FSU, I idk, he’d probably take the call, but I can’t imagine they’d leave the Big Ten.

I think if I’m the acc I shoot for the moon and try and talk with them though, as well as ND of course, and maybe A&M and some pac 12 schools. I don’t think any of that goes anywhere but you try anyways. Probably not a bad idea to send some feelers out to the usual rumored call ups, but short of a home run pull like ND or PSU or A&M, I don’t think you expand.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - random asian guy - 07-27-2021 09:48 PM

The Big 12 left over schools are probably talking to the ACC right now. But I don’t know how interested the ACC is in getting any of those.

From Jim Phillip’s interview, it seems like he wants ND and ND only. And I guess from ND fans’ perspective this is like wathcing your girl friend preparing for a wedding while you have zero intention to propose.

RE: Which schools should the ACC be talking to right now? - tj_2009 - 07-27-2021 11:20 PM

Kansas without question is the way to go because of them being a basketball power. See my other posts to see why. Short term there will be a hit to revenues as the ACC would have to put money into developing their internet streaming technology or make a deal with Netflix, Apple, Amazon, Disney etc. This is the long game with short term pain (drop in revenues per school) but once everything is ready to go, there will be a jump in revenues that will eventually surpass the B1G and SEC as college football has no interest worldwide. Perhaps another team might also have to be added to balance out the schedules maybe some analysis could be done on Cincy, WVU, UConn, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, KSU, UCF, USF with a focus on basketball.