Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big South approves Liberty's waiver
Bookmark and Share
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
Quote:The Big South Conference’s Council of Chief Executive Officers approved Liberty’s waiver to remain in the conference as an associate member Friday afternoon. The Flames will withdraw from the conference as a full member effective June 30, 2019, and then be labeled as an associate member beginning in the 2019-20 season.

“Liberty University is a long-standing member of the Big South that has contributed to the success of the conference in many ways,” Mary Grant, Big South president and UNC Asheville chancellor, said in a written release. “We believe we reached a good outcome that provides continued opportunities for Liberty’s student-athletes while adhering to the by-laws that govern our conference.”

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libert...ef125.html
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 05:11 PM by Liberty Fan.)
09-22-2017 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: Big South approves Liberty's waiver
Why not a full member?
09-22-2017 05:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
(09-22-2017 05:11 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  Why not a full member?

Not a football member.
09-22-2017 05:27 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
This is good news. It would have been unfortunate for Liberty to be looking for an all sports home. I don't understand why they are labeled as affiliate though. Is Longwood and the other non-football schools affiliates too?
09-22-2017 05:51 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Surprised it took this long to announce. The BSC needs LU as much as LU needs the BSC. For now, this is a good match.
09-22-2017 06:29 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(09-22-2017 05:27 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  

Not a football member.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. Campbell was never an associate member. Are we getting shafted in a conference we helped found?
09-23-2017 03:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(09-23-2017 03:48 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

Not a football member.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. Campbell was never an associate member. Are we getting shafted in a conference we helped found?

I could be wrong but isn't a full member one that all of their scholarship sports that the conference offers are playing in that conference? Like Campbell didn't offer scholarships for football until recently. Winthrop doesn't have football but would be a full. We offer football but play elsewhere.
09-23-2017 08:39 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

The NCAA recognizes a school's home conference as the one in which the men's and women's basketball teams are members of. There is a minimum number of sports that a school must be involved with its home conference. By labeling Liberty as affiliates, it implies that the Big South is not the home conference of LU despite the fact that Liberty is only in like two other conferences (field hockey and ice hockey I think). It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it is frustrating to say the least. Doesn't make you want to stick around any longer than you need to.
09-23-2017 08:52 AM
Jacolby757 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty ODU Marshal
(09-23-2017 08:52 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The NCAA recognizes a school's home conference as the one in which the men's and women's basketball teams are members of. There is a minimum number of sports that a school must be involved with its home conference. By labeling Liberty as affiliates, it implies that the Big South is not the home conference of LU despite the fact that Liberty is only in like two other conferences (field hockey and ice hockey I think). It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it is frustrating to say the least. Doesn't make you want to stick around any longer than you need to.
Field hockey - Big East
Swimming - C.... Something weird...
Ice hockey - non scholly

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 10:56 AM by Jacolby757.)
09-23-2017 10:55 AM
Jacolby757 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty ODU Marshal
Why does the above argument matter? We still compete for all trophy's individual and team in all BSC sports. What does labeling it "home conference matter?

09-23-2017 10:59 AM
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(09-23-2017 10:59 AM)Jacolby757 Wrote:  Why does the above argument matter? We still compete for all trophy's individual and team in all BSC sports. What does labeling it "home conference matter?

It matters because we can be booted out anytime. And I bet we lose voting rights within the conference. It's a ****** thing to do.
09-23-2017 01:19 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes

Not a football member.

Purely speculation and hunch. Maybe it's because LU is the only school in this position of being FBS FB while most of it's remaining sports stay in the BS, and that LU can expect to increase their sports budgets, giving an economic, unfair advantage. Sort of like being the rich kid in the neighborhood who has all the toys while the other kids only have a few. Smells of economic unbalance.
09-24-2017 05:50 AM
GE and MTS Offline

(09-24-2017 05:50 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  

Not a football member.

Purely speculation and hunch. Maybe it's because LU is the only school in this position of being FBS FB while most of it's remaining sports stay in the BS, and that LU can expect to increase their sports budgets, giving an economic, unfair advantage. Sort of like being the rich kid in the neighborhood who has all the toys while the other kids only have a few. Smells of economic unbalance.

But what's keeping other schools from spending all the money they want? The only difference is that Liberty has the money to spend while the other schools don't. It would be punishing LU for being rich which doesn't make sense. I don't think that is the reason for LU's affiliate status. After all, Campbell had football but didn't play it in the Big South but wasn't considered affiliate which is exactly the same situation as LU finds itself in now but is considered affiliate.
09-24-2017 07:43 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
[/quote]
Are we getting shafted in a conference we helped found?
[/quote]

Sorry to reply to an aged post but I just now read it....Liberty did not "help found" the Big South. It was added several years later after the original Georgia schools moved back to D-II.
10-11-2017 08:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.