Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
All realignment discussions have stopped
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: All realignment discussions have stopped
Maybe the hunger for these moves that we like to talk about to rip the heart of out of conferences isn't there like it was in 2010.

B1G taking Kansas out of the B12 or UNC out of the ACC. Rip the hearts right out of those conference. A real wholesale change to the structure.

I also think it might be a referendum by the G5 that going to coast-2-coast conference or anything fancy like that ruins the traditional conference.
01-28-2018 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(01-28-2018 08:08 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 07:33 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Which is why conferences are gonna start splitting left and right, no pun intended. Why any conference would go beyond 12 is beyond me.

I wonder how many would have gone past 10 if there hadn't been a requirement for 12 to have a CCG?

The SEC considered it as early as the 60's. Houston and Florida State would have been the duo.
01-28-2018 08:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-28-2018 08:18 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 07:33 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Which is why conferences are gonna start splitting left and right, no pun intended. Why any conference would go beyond 12 is beyond me.

I wonder how many would have gone past 10 if there hadn't been a requirement for 12 to have a CCG?

The SEC considered it as early as the 60's. Houston and Florida State would have been the duo.

What's your source on that one? In the 60's F.S.U. wasn't even on the football playing radar. They had only ceased being all female in the 50's. Their only early claim to fame was that Burt Reynolds played there. His teammate Lee Corso still wouldn't be famous for decades. The first thought raised about F.S.U. to the SEC happened when Bowden started pushing it in the very early 80's. They still weren't even voted on until late '90 or early '91. The only mention I heard about Houston was in the early '90's as well and it never got past think tank talk.

Remeber in the mid 60's Tulane left, and then Georgia Tech left, both thinking they would earn more as independents. They didn't. Everyone else in that 10 member SEC was quite happy. It wasn't until OU/UGA vs the NCAA over TV rights that expansion was ever even considered and then only as a way of expanding revenue. But from the time of that case it still was another 7 or 8 years before anyone seriously considered it.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018 08:29 PM by JRsec.)
01-28-2018 08:28 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I saw an old newspaper article (i.e. an actual newspaper article, not an Internet link) where talk ensued about it. And Florida State was the main attraction, Houston was just a tagalong.
01-28-2018 08:54 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-28-2018 08:28 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

What's your source on that one? In the 60's F.S.U. wasn't even on the football playing radar. They had only ceased being all female in the 50's. Their only early claim to fame was that Burt Reynolds played there. His teammate Lee Corso still wouldn't be famous for decades. The first thought raised about F.S.U. to the SEC happened when Bowden started pushing it in the very early 80's. They still weren't even voted on until late '90 or early '91. The only mention I heard about Houston was in the early '90's as well and it never got past think tank talk.

Remeber in the mid 60's Tulane left, and then Georgia Tech left, both thinking they would earn more as independents. They didn't. Everyone else in that 10 member SEC was quite happy. It wasn't until OU/UGA vs the NCAA over TV rights that expansion was ever even considered and then only as a way of expanding revenue. But from the time of that case it still was another 7 or 8 years before anyone seriously considered it.

Also, Houston already had black football players in the 1960s. That would have been as much of an issue for the SEC at the time as it was for the SWC. Remember that the SWC didn't invite Houston until after the other SWC schools had integrated their football teams.
01-28-2018 08:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-28-2018 08:55 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 08:28 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Also, Houston already had black football players in the 1960s. That would have been as much of an issue for the SEC at the time as it was for the SWC. Remember that the SWC didn't invite Houston until after the other SWC schools had integrated their football teams.

I know. If he saw any article referencing Houston and Florida State to the SEC it was idle talk from the very late 80's or very early 90's so he's off about 3 decades.

I hate to do it but this is far from what Miko intended. Closed.
01-28-2018 09:00 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.