Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Signing Day 2018
Bookmark and Share
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
RE: National Signing Day 2018
(02-08-2018 04:55 PM)UABslant Wrote:  UAB signed 5 players yesterday. All defensive players.
[Image: DVdg75oUQAAxIUt.jpg:large]

I hope they're big. You guys need some size.
02-09-2018 03:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(02-09-2018 03:27 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(02-08-2018 03:55 PM)TTT Wrote:  I keep hearing how we shouldn't pay attention to the star ratings...and there is some truth to that. However...

Not every unrated/2-3 star kid is a diamond in the rough and not every 4-5 star kid is Bo Jackson. There are PLENTY of unrated/2-3 star kids who amount to SQUAT in college. I'd be willing to bet the MAJORITY of unrated/2-3 star kids don't have any success in college. On the flipside, there are PLENTY of 4-5 star kids who have a LOT of success in college and the NFL. I'd be willing to bet that half (if not more) of ALL 4-5 star kids have very successful careers in college and/or the NFL. I'd love to see the actual data behind this.

My point it...the higher a kid is ranked coming out of HS/JUCO the greater the chances are of him being very successful in college/nfl. THAT'S why I pay attention to the star rating.

Absolutely. There's definitely a lot of validity to the star rating systems. No, not every 4 or 5-star recruit will be highly successful in college, but they do have the most physical ability based on high school performance. If that isn't true, the top programs wouldn't be fighting over them.

Problem with the 4-5* kids we happen to get is getting them eligible and keeping them eligible and out of trouble. G5 don't get many of those without some concessions in academics or off the field problems. Just a fact of G5 life.
02-09-2018 03:47 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(02-09-2018 03:47 AM)MUther Wrote:  
(02-08-2018 03:55 PM)TTT Wrote:  I keep hearing how we shouldn't pay attention to the star ratings...and there is some truth to that. However...

Not every unrated/2-3 star kid is a diamond in the rough and not every 4-5 star kid is Bo Jackson. There are PLENTY of unrated/2-3 star kids who amount to SQUAT in college. I'd be willing to bet the MAJORITY of unrated/2-3 star kids don't have any success in college. On the flipside, there are PLENTY of 4-5 star kids who have a LOT of success in college and the NFL. I'd be willing to bet that half (if not more) of ALL 4-5 star kids have very successful careers in college and/or the NFL. I'd love to see the actual data behind this.

My point it...the higher a kid is ranked coming out of HS/JUCO the greater the chances are of him being very successful in college/nfl. THAT'S why I pay attention to the star rating.

Absolutely. There's definitely a lot of validity to the star rating systems. No, not every 4 or 5-star recruit will be highly successful in college, but they do have the most physical ability based on high school performance. If that isn't true, the top programs wouldn't be fighting over them.

Problem with the 4-5* kids we happen to get is getting them eligible and keeping them eligible and out of trouble. G5 don't get many of those without some concessions in academics or off the field problems. Just a fact of G5 life.

Ourland does not believe in 2nd chances so he does not want these reject kids at Rice. I guess he comes from a higher class and doesn't realize most FB players in poor areas come with some baggage. Football is a game where you learn to be aggressive at a very early age. So by the time you get to the point where you are good enough to play at a FBS level. A lot of times that aggression is not easily turned off just because you are no longer on the field.

So he does not want any player that needs a second chance...not in the class room and not in life. I personally would rather have those kids in school because once they get in that setting......

A lot of those kids go on to be very productive in football and life. That's better for everyone.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 04:15 AM by WKUYG.)
02-09-2018 04:13 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

Many of those same elite players get into trouble at P5 schools as well. Not a G5 thang.

http://arrestnation.com/tag/college-foot...-arrested/
02-09-2018 07:15 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

FAU signed just 14 kids. Seems very low. Did they have scholarships from last year count against this year?
02-09-2018 07:24 AM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FloridaAtlantic
(02-09-2018 07:24 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  FAU signed just 14 kids. Seems very low. Did they have scholarships from last year count against this year?

We signed 18 players (B.J. Emmons, Dacoda Weaver, & Deon Woods cleared after the official announcement), 1 graduate transfer (Junior Diaz), and 2 previous transfers (Chris Robison & Jovon Durante) were put on scholarships.

The issue we faced was the maximum of 85 players under scholarship during a given year. Because we have so many players returning next year, our recruiting class for 2018 was going to be small regardless.

However, if a player graduates high school early and/or a JUCO enrolls in the spring next year, they can count towards the 2018 class. After next year, we'll have a lot of players graduate.

So look for us to possibly sign 30~ players in 2019 (Kyle Davis will also be put on scholarship).
02-09-2018 09:59 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(02-09-2018 09:59 AM)thefaU Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 07:24 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  FAU signed just 14 kids. Seems very low. Did they have scholarships from last year count against this year?

We signed 18 players (B.J. Emmons, Dacoda Weaver, & Deon Woods cleared after the official announcement), 1 graduate transfer (Junior Diaz), and 2 previous transfers (Chris Robison & Jovon Durante) were put on scholarships.

The issue we faced was the maximum of 85 players under scholarship during a given year. Because we have so many players returning next year, our recruiting class for 2018 was going to be small regardless.

However, if a player graduates high school early and/or a JUCO enrolls in the spring next year, they can count towards the 2018 class. After next year, we'll have a lot of players graduate.

So look for us to possibly sign 30~ players in 2019 (Kyle Davis will also be put on scholarship).

Got it. I had saw just 14 on 247 site and I see there wasn't many SRs / GSs on your roster.

Looks like you guys used those limited scholarships wisely this year. Signed some good rated players.
02-09-2018 12:31 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(02-09-2018 04:13 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Ourland does not believe in 2nd chances so he does not want these reject kids at Rice. I guess he comes from a higher class and doesn't realize most FB players in poor areas come with some baggage. Football is a game where you learn to be aggressive at a very early age. So by the time you get to the point where you are good enough to play at a FBS level. A lot of times that aggression is not easily turned off just because you are no longer on the field.

So he does not want any player that needs a second chance...not in the class room and not in life. I personally would rather have those kids in school because once they get in that setting......

A lot of those kids go on to be very productive in football and life. That's better for everyone.

What a bunch of horse****.

We've had a bunch of guys who play at Rice get arrested before and maintain their place on the team (including some good players like Philip Gaines). They serve a suspension, get punished in the weight room, and get back out there. The difference is that we don't give second chances to those who have blown their chance at other schools. But hey, once you're at Rice, we'll show some loyalty to you.

Also, you act as if we have an entire team of silver spooners. While we do probably have a higher percentage of white, upper middle-class players on our team, we also routinely sign people from rough inner-city neighborhoods. Schools like Alief Elsik, Dallas Skyline, etc are hardly Phillips Exeter academy.

Also, if you want to talk s*** about Rice, what do you say to the fact that Rice is by almost any measure the most racially diverse school in the conference and also routinely scores among the most economically diverse amongst its peer institutions?
02-09-2018 12:48 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(02-09-2018 12:48 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

We've had a bunch of guys who play at Rice get arrested before and maintain their place on the team (including some good players like Philip Gaines). They serve a suspension, get punished in the weight room, and get back out there. The difference is that we don't give second chances to those who have blown their chance at other schools. But hey, once you're at Rice, we'll show some loyalty to you.

Also, you act as if we have an entire team of silver spooners. While we do probably have a higher percentage of white, upper middle-class players on our team, we also routinely sign people from rough inner-city neighborhoods. Schools like Alief Elsik, Dallas Skyline, etc are hardly Phillips Exeter academy.

Also, if you want to talk s*** about Rice, what do you say to the fact that Rice is by almost any measure the most racially diverse school in the conference and also routinely scores among the most economically diverse amongst its peer institutions?

As a Rice fan (I assume you went there) I would have thought your comprehension would be better. Below is what I said...

Quote:Ourland does not believe in 2nd chances so he does not want these reject kids at Rice. I guess he comes from a higher class and doesn't realize most FB players in poor areas come with some baggage

So if what you said is true you need to tell it to Ourland (rice fan) because he said Rice doesn't take lowlife players that needs a 2nd chance. But he did offer to pray for me because of my views on this.
02-09-2018 01:52 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

Yes it's unfortunate.
02-09-2018 02:50 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2018 01:52 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 03:27 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Absolutely. There's definitely a lot of validity to the star rating systems. No, not every 4 or 5-star recruit will be highly successful in college, but they do have the most physical ability based on high school performance. If that isn't true, the top programs wouldn't be fighting over them.

As a Rice fan (I assume you went there) I would have thought your comprehension would be better. Below is what I said...

Quote:Ourland does not believe in 2nd chances so he does not want these reject kids at Rice. I guess he comes from a higher class and doesn't realize most FB players in poor areas come with some baggage

So if what you said is true you need to tell it to Ourland (rice fan) because he said Rice doesn't take lowlife players that needs a 2nd chance. But he did offer to pray for me because of my views on this.

I apparently didn't pray hard enough.
02-09-2018 02:54 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(02-09-2018 02:54 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 03:47 AM)MUther Wrote:  Problem with the 4-5* kids we happen to get is getting them eligible and keeping them eligible and out of trouble. G5 don't get many of those without some concessions in academics or off the field problems. Just a fact of G5 life.

As I said to you before....

someone that does not believe people and especially kids/young adults deserve 2nd chances. Should be praying for theirself. I only know one other, besides yourself, that never needed a 2nd chance because of a mistake
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 03:01 PM by WKUYG.)
02-09-2018 03:00 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2018 03:00 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 02:54 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 04:13 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  Ourland does not believe in 2nd chances so he does not want these reject kids at Rice. I guess he comes from a higher class and doesn't realize most FB players in poor areas come with some baggage. Football is a game where you learn to be aggressive at a very early age. So by the time you get to the point where you are good enough to play at a FBS level. A lot of times that aggression is not easily turned off just because you are no longer on the field.

As I said to you before....

someone that does not believe people and especially kids/young adults deserve 2nd chances. Should be praying for theirself. I only know one other, besides yourself, that never needed a 2nd chance because of a mistake

On the contrary, I specifically stated that CUSA's recruiting standards are too low. I said that young men who have serious run-ins with the law while growing up, should not be playing major college football anywhere, and neither should any recruit who who cannot make the minimum 740 on the SAT. These kinds of players are not mature enough and/or scholastically prepared enough to take on the rigors of college life. Everyone knows they aren't qualified. These players need to learn the tough life lessons that will enable them to grow into responsible young men. They need time in the classroom at a junior college. They need to sit at home and see all their friends playing on television for a year or two. They need time in the local county jail, if that's what it takes for them to to grow up and earn the right to move on into the adult world. They need to be able to see clearly what they can have if they change for the better. They need to be well-rounded individuals who earn their scholarships due to responsibility, maturity, and being academically able in the classroom, not just because they can run a 40-yard dash in under four seconds. There's much more to it than that. I don't believe in special treatment for athletes. Plainly spoken, they shouldn't be offered a scholarship that they don't deserve.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 12:46 AM by Ourland.)
02-09-2018 04:12 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2018 04:12 PM)Ourland Wrote:  On the contrary, I specifically stated that CUSA's recruiting standards are too low. I said that young men who have serious run-ins with the law while growing up, should not be playing major college football anywhere, and neither should any recruit who who cannot make the minimum 740 on the SAT. These kinds of players are not mature enough and/or scholastically prepared enough to take on the rigors of college life. Everyone knows they aren't qualified. These players need to learn the tough life lessons that will enable them to grow into responsible young men. They need time in the classroom at a junior college. They need to sit at home and see all their friends playing on television for a year or two. They need time in the local county jail, if that's what it takes for them to to grow up and earn the right to move on into the adult world. They need to be able to see clearly what they can have if they change for the better. They need to be well-rounded individuals who earn their scholarships due to responsibility, maturity, and being academically able in the classroom, not just because they can run a 40-yard dash in under four seconds. There's much more to it than that. I don't believe in special treatment for athletes. Plainly spoken, they shouldn't be offered a scholarship if they don't deserve it.

So tonight I'll be praying that your reading and comprehension improves...a lot.

Please provide examples using Florida Atlantic student-athletes who don't meet the above standards because these are some bold accusations and you provide zero evidence to the contrary. I will easily counter how they meet your standards and do deserve a scholarship.
02-09-2018 05:18 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2018 05:18 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 04:12 PM)Ourland Wrote:  On the contrary, I specifically stated that CUSA's recruiting standards are too low. I said that young men who have serious run-ins with the law while growing up, should not be playing major college football anywhere, and neither should any recruit who who cannot make the minimum 740 on the SAT. These kinds of players are not mature enough and/or scholastically prepared enough to take on the rigors of college life. Everyone knows they aren't qualified. These players need to learn the tough life lessons that will enable them to grow into responsible young men. They need time in the classroom at a junior college. They need to sit at home and see all their friends playing on television for a year or two. They need time in the local county jail, if that's what it takes for them to to grow up and earn the right to move on into the adult world. They need to be able to see clearly what they can have if they change for the better. They need to be well-rounded individuals who earn their scholarships due to responsibility, maturity, and being academically able in the classroom, not just because they can run a 40-yard dash in under four seconds. There's much more to it than that. I don't believe in special treatment for athletes. Plainly spoken, they shouldn't be offered a scholarship if they don't deserve it.

So tonight I'll be praying that your reading and comprehension improves...a lot.

Please provide examples using Florida Atlantic student-athletes who don't meet the above standards because these are some bold accusations and you provide zero evidence to the contrary. I will easily counter how they meet your standards and do deserve a scholarship.
I don't jump through hoops for anyone. There are countless examples of schools taking partial qualifiers and aspiring criminals throughout this country. I don't care enough about FAU to do your homework for you.
02-09-2018 06:53 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2018 06:53 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I don't jump through hoops for anyone. There are countless examples of schools taking partial qualifiers and aspiring criminals throughout this country. I don't care enough about FAU to do your homework for you.

You just make baseless accusations. Got it.
02-09-2018 06:56 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2018 06:56 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 06:53 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I don't jump through hoops for anyone. There are countless examples of schools taking partial qualifiers and aspiring criminals throughout this country. I don't care enough about FAU to do your homework for you.

You just make baseless accusations. Got it.

You can't keep up.
02-09-2018 08:53 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2018 08:53 PM)Ourland Wrote:  You can't keep up.

Yet Rice has not only had football players engage in sexual assault, but students have mocked it as well. Sexual assault is a real issue that shouldn't be dismissed, like you're trying to do with my education from a public university. But, I guess if you're able to attend Rice, you won't have to face criminal prosecution. If only some of our players could've gotten into such an elite institution...
02-09-2018 09:10 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(02-09-2018 09:10 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 08:53 PM)Ourland Wrote:  You can't keep up.

Yet Rice has not only had football players engage in sexual assault, but students have mocked it as well. Sexual assault is a real issue that shouldn't be dismissed, like you're trying to do with my education from a public university. But, I guess if you're able to attend Rice, you won't have to face criminal prosecution. If only some of our players could've gotten into such an elite institution...

Not disagreeing with your premise that Rice players get into trouble too (though I do think at a lower rate than most schools in the NCAA)...

But to conflate an incident in 2004 with the Baylor MOB thing which was twelve years later is totally inappropriate (especially when Rice removed the players from the team and kicked them off campus, neither of which Baylor did) is totally dishonest on your part.

And nice job going all conspiracy theory on why they got off (I really know nothing about the case as I was 7 years old at the time of the alleged crime).
02-09-2018 09:45 PM
thefaU Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2018 09:45 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Not disagreeing with your premise that Rice players get into trouble too (though I do think at a lower rate than most schools in the NCAA)...

But to conflate an incident in 2004 with the Baylor MOB thing which was twelve years later is totally inappropriate (especially when Rice removed the players from the team and kicked them off campus, neither of which Baylor did) is totally dishonest on your part.

And nice job going all conspiracy theory on why they got off (I really know nothing about the case as I was 7 years old at the time of the alleged crime).

Ourland's premise is Rice doesn't recruit any players of low morality. He often attacks the rest of the conference for doing so, more so Florida Atlantic as of late. You can read some of his colorful commentary on this thread.

And the topic of sexual assault was the overall intention. I should've phrased it "students have mocked sexual assault as well." However, the date of the crime shouldn't diminish the severity of it either. It shows two instances in which Rice students acted regarding sexual assault. I don't mention how Rice handled the situations because, to Ourland, it doesn't matter how we handle it - if you'd recruited players with morals to begin with, this would've never been an issue.

And the reason why I make baseless accusations in the above post is because I wanted Ourland to see exactly what he does.

That was not a post directed at Rice itself; it was only directed at Ourland.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 10:29 PM by thefaU.)
02-09-2018 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.