Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dennis Dodd is wrong and there will eventually be 8 teams in the CFP
Bookmark and Share
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Dennis Dodd is wrong and there will eventually be 8 teams in the CFP
(12-06-2017 04:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 04:00 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I can completely buy that administrators weren't interested up until this point. But if the prospect of consistently being left out arises then that could change minds.

There used to be a lot of resistance to any form of playoff whatsoever and then the dynamics changed. I'm not saying everybody will be on board with it, but I have to believe there are a lot of individuals today who are starting to think about a world where their conference gets consistently left out in exchange for multiple reps from one league or another...or in a situation where Notre Dame gets in perhaps. This sort of dynamic alone was enough to weaken support for maintaining the Big 12 from within its own ranks.

The conference commissioners don't really care about that. All five power conferences get the same share of the CFP whether they have a representative or not. In fact it might be argued that by not having a school involved you actually stand to make more because of the available number of schools to the normal bowl payouts.

IIRC, each P5 conference is guaranteed $50M. However, there is also money to be earned: $6M for each team in the semi-finals, only $4M for other NY6 games. Is $2M earth-shattering? NO, but it is something. Oh, almost forgot, playoff teams also get $2M travel expenses (in addition to the $6M), so there's simply no way it's ever better to miss the playoffs unless your AD spends money like pouring water...

Still, I think the prestige of being in the playoffs is the key thing, and I'm confident those Big Ten schools will not sit by and think "hey, we go nearly as much money this year"!
12-08-2017 10:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dennis Dodd is wrong and there will eventually be 8 teams in the CFP - Hokie Mark - 12-08-2017 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.