Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers
(03-18-2018 10:11 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 03:49 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 12:50 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I'm perfectly willing to discuss what Private schools are legally able to do, and what they SHOULD be doing.
My view is this. Private schools that don't take taxpayer subsidies should be legally allowed to discriminate, but they shouldn't discriminate. That being said, cynical, one-sided arguments and special set asides for discrimination simply based on the fact that they somehow 'park' that discrimination in some religious context don't cut it for me.
And groups that discriminate should not complain if people discriminate against them in retaliation.
And if you take tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of thousands of student spots for liberals out of reach due to overtly discriminatory policies, don't be surprised if those people gravitate towards institutions that will accept them.
Private institutions have the right to limit access to speakers that coincide with their mission. But many private schools restrict speakers in violation of their mission. They proclaim to want a liberal arts education, but limit speech and debate. When they do that they should be criticized. When they ignore their students who want that they should be criticized.
Now someplace like Wellseley (Hillary's all female college) is going to have some restrictions that would not apply to Brown University.
As for religious institutions, you either believe in freedom of religion as defined in the first amendment or you don't. I'm perfectly fine with a Muslim university restricting who speaks there. If Baylor believes premarital sex and gay sex are sins, they are not discriminating by limiting groups promoting that. It just so happens you don't believe as they do.
Again, so the solution is for Brown to announce. "we're now affiliated with the Church of Reason. As a result, we can stifle campus speech" You good with that?
How would inviting someone like Cernovich to campus actually contribute to discourse? I'd let him speak, but he's not really contributing to a fact based debate. I'm sure if Jonah Goldberg was invited, they'd let him speak. Milo, James O'Keefe, Alex Jones, Cernovich, Jim Hoff.....nah.
Conservative schools ignore their students too.
Again, you can't credibly have one set of rules for Hillsdale and another for Brown.

Okay, I can’t have different rules for Brown and Hillsdale, but Brown and Hillsdale can adopt different rules from each other. As for your hypothetical about Brown and the “Church of Reason,” Brown hasn’t done that. If they want to deny conservative voices, they need to be honest about it. I wouldn’t have a problem if they did that. If left leaning schools want to be honest and say, “We lean left, if you don’t you probably don’t want to come here,” I’d be okay with that. What bothers me is for them to pretend they are in the center, and then exclude one point of view.
03-18-2018 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brown Group seeks diversity in speakers - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-18-2018 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.