Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: Big East Ready to Respond
UHCougar Offline
Big East Special Forces

I Root For: Houston
RE: Report: Big East Ready to Respond
(12-19-2012 01:15 AM)makeshifty Wrote:  
(12-19-2012 12:20 AM)UHCougar Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 11:44 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Damn this dude has a hard on for UTSA. Unbelievable.

I really don't . . . 03-lmfao . . . but I'm am serious about UTSA being among the top choices when you compare objective criteria like attendance, community support, business support, media markets, coaching, potential success on the field, recruiting territory, athletic investment/institutional commitment to athletics, etc. . .

Attendance - new kid in town, still a lot to prove.
Community Support - as proven by attendance?
Business Support - KFC?
Media Market - legit.
Coaching - meh.
Potential Success on field - ????
Recruiting territory - Not covered by the ELEVEN other Texas FBS teams?
Athletic investment - Why because they managed to convince the city to let them use their otherwise EMPTY stadium? I bet they really had to try hard.

The ONLY thing they have going for them is that they are the only football team in the market. I dont think that overcomes forever being branded as "beneath" by the first two letters of their moniker. Or playing in a 20 year old no frills concrete box 20 miles from campus. Or just being in San Antonio in general. Terrible, terrible town. Unless your old and boring, in which case, its great.

This post is so uninformed about UT-San Antonio and San Antonio that you are clearly just anti-UTSA without any legitimate basis. . . but here we go:

"Attendance - new kid in town, still a lot to prove;" - this argument has ZERO credibilty . . . it is equally likely that UTSA grows to 40,00-plus in 3 years after being admitted to the Big East

"Community Support - as proven by attendance?" - As proven every day by the attendance, media coverage, business support, apparel sales, and ever other objective criteria.

"Business Support - KFC?" - It was actually Muy Brands, one of the largest franchisees in the nation with more than 230 restaurants. But it also includes Clear Channel, USAA, Valero, Tesoro, Frost Bank, the medical center, and the military bases in the city.

"Media Market" - legit (your words not mine, but of course, I concur).

"Coaching - meh." - Name another Big East school with a head coach who has won a National Championship (and competed in another)

"Potential Success on field - ????" - 8-4 in their second season. . . Six wins over Div. I football . . . I might add the players were recruited to play in the Southland Conference in FCS not the WAC, which came as a surprise . . . every recruiting class gets dramatically better . . .

"Recruiting territory - Not covered by the ELEVEN other Texas FBS teams?" - The region south of San Antonio is the most historically under recruited region in Texas. Texas A&M - Kingsville has built a NCAA Div. II powerhouse (leads the nation in attendance) by finding players in this area that the Big XII never watched play . . . when UTSA starts recruiting for Conference USA or the Big East, they will torch every school except Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston . . . and snag more than their share of 4-star, 3-star, and 2-star recruits. . .

"Athletic investment - Why because they managed to convince the city to let them use their otherwise EMPTY stadium? I bet they really had to try hard." - The Alamo Dome is one of the finest collegiate stadiums in the country. UTSA was prepared to spend over a $100 million to build an on-campus stadium but responded to the community/student opinions to keep playing downtown on the Riverwalk. The city came to them; not the other way around.

"The ONLY thing they have going for them is that they are the only football team in the market." - YES . . . and a GREAT reason to choose them.

"I dont think that overcomes forever being branded as "beneath" by the first two letters of their moniker." - You mean like California State University - Fresno is always going to be second to UCLA and the University of California - Berkley?

"Or playing in a 20 year old no frills concrete box 20 miles from campus." - See above, and just an uninformed description of the Alamo Bowl, which hosts one of the best mid-tier bowls and has GREAT national recognition.

"Or just being in San Antonio in general. Terrible, terrible town. Unless your old and boring, in which case, its great." - San Antonio is an international tourist destination, the Riverwalk is world-reknown and a great place to visit, and San Antonio already hosts one of the most popular and successful bowl games . . . this statement speaks volumes about what you know about SATX.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 01:45 AM by UHCougar.)
12-19-2012 01:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Big East Ready to Respond - UHCougar - 12-19-2012 01:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.