OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Possible Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers]

Atlanta musician goes viral playing all 31 parts of 'Star Wars' theme on guitar
4:16 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 17, 2015 | Filed in: Movies

One thing you need to know about Cooper Carter is that he loves "Star Wars." Another thing you need to know is that he's a professional guitarist — been playing since he was 5, performed with the Indigo Girls — who also works in video production.

So when he said that it was not really a chore at all to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours rearranging and recording composer John Williams' 31-part orchestral "Star Wars" theme for guitar, he meant it.

"This was a perfect project," Carter told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of his theme-redux, released Dec. 7, which has racked up more than 500,000 views on YouTube and been covered by Entertainment Weekly, Guitar World ("which I've been subscribing to since I was 6") and others.

In the video, Cooper, a Druid Hills native and Westminster grad, plays his guitars in a 16-split screen. The different guitars sub as the different instruments: flutes, clarinets, french horns and more (all while Cooper wears various "Star Wars" T-shirts).

His "guitar orchestra" has also earned plaudits from musicians, including Queen's Brian May, who posted about it on Facebook, and John Petrucci, his personal hero. The web traffic crashed Cooper's personal website, too, and it's still down.

But Cooper knew what he was getting into by recording and releasing the video how and when he did — mostly. He's an "enormous" fan of the iconic sci-fi franchise, and he knew the run-up to the release of "The Force Awakens" would be a good time to drop the video.

He hoped it would be well seen. But all the press attention, plus reports that his version of the theme is being played on ESPN Radio and other stations, exceeded expectations, he said.

"It's been really fun watching it spread across the world," Cooper said.

The video was weeks and weeks — and guitars and guitars — in the making, starting around early November and snowballing from there, after Cooper started exploring the theme's melody on guitar.

Asked to estimate how many hours he spent on it, rearranging and playing and recording and editing and mixing, Cooper couldn't settle on a number. Two hundred hours? Three hundred? Four?

"Honestly, it was so much fun," he said.

(The guitars were mostly his, but the "Star Wars" shirts he had to buy.)

Some of the trickiest parts of the process were in playing the already-tricky violin and flute parts with a guitar, Cooper said. But "Star Wars" is the film that made him want to be an artist when he was growing up, was "the most important thing" to him as a kid.

So the reward of pulling off the video, of learning and arranging all the theme's composite parts, was well worth the work.

And, yes, he'll be at the first showing of "The Force Awakens" in Atlanta tonight, just in time to hear Williams' melodies again — from a different set of instruments.

"I'll never be able to hear them the same way again," Cooper said, "because I hear all these little parts that I had to figure out, and it's been such a joy to crawl into John Williams' mind in a way and listen to everything he was doing with it."
12-17-2015 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers] - GoodOwl - 12-17-2015 08:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.