Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Possible Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Online
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers]
(12-16-2016 09:42 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 10:21 PM)Surbadger Wrote:  Went and saw it on opening night in Huntington, WV. I must say, this is probably the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. It doesn't have the nostalgia factor that Force Awakens had, but it definitely carried itself. There were awesome drawbacks to the original trilogy and even a few cameos.

Although I wish there was more Darth Vader, the scenes with him are probably the best he has ever been portrayed.

The entire movie felt half Star Wars, half Saving Private Ryan and I loved it. You actually felt like these characters could be killed at any moment during the action.

There were a few moments that I felt the movie was too campy and tried to relate too much with prior films, but those scenes were little and far between. Also, the movie started out a little slow, and I hoped it wouldn't be like Batman V Superman where the film dragged on and on. This wasn't the case because the movie makes up for itself in the second 2/3.

Overall, this film was a success and to be an experiment by Disney, I hope they make many more stories off the main Skywalker storyline. This was definitely the best movie I have seen this year by far, and not just because it was a lousy year for action and blockbuster movies.

I give Rogue One... 9/10 stars. Maybe I'm being generous since I just watched the film, but I hope others can back me up.

Is it ok for a 8 year old to view?

First, let me hit the review from 49er. I think he hit it. This is one of the best films in the entire collection. I think it is important to point out this is a non-saga film (which I think everyone knows), so it was designed to intentionally have a different feel from the two trilogies. IMO, the thing that made it most different was the music. You didn't get the traditional music we've come accustomed to with certain scenes - the exception being Vader's entrance. I will give them credit for keeping that. That was important.

So, my daughter is 8 and I took her with me last night. Let me first say that you can typically tell what type of movie you are in for based on the previews. In all honesty, some of the previews before the movie started were worse than anything in Rogue One itself. Not the first time I've had that happen. She even mentioned that to me when we got home.

With that said, the analogy to Saving Private Ryan is pretty good. Perhaps not as gory as Ryan, but certainly the most graphic in terms violence and what you have come to expect from scenes in a war. But if your kid has already scene the death of Han Solo and Obi Wan's destruction of Anakin when he loses his limbs and catches fire from lava then I don't necessarily think there is anything worse than that in this one. As always, I think its good to have a chat with your child before going in to see something that has scenes that might be beyond what they should be seeing considering it is rated PG-13 for a reason.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 10:35 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
12-16-2016 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers] - ThreeifbyLightning - 12-16-2016 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.