Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Possible Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers]
Spoiler-free review:

WOW!!!!! Saw it last night for first time. Want to go see it again, and get the dvd when it comes out.

As of now, I consider this by far the best Star Wars film, yes, better than "Empire." While my opinion might change some going forward, here's why:

1. Great storytelling. despite the fact the basic plot was pre-ordained think this actually helped them make a better film. They had some boundaries and some requirements so they could't just go off on ridiculous tangents with out it feeling wrong, so...they chose not to, and thus they

2. Stuck to the story, not an agenda. No political statements. Diversity, yes, and nice to see. But nothing really felt forced at the expense of the story or flow (a LOT of TFA as well as the prequels had extra things that smacked of political/social agenda.)

3. Jyn Erso's character felt real, sincere, believable, authentic and made sense in the context. Her actions and choices felt natural not forced. Can't at all say this of many Star Wars past characters.

4. Felicity Jones was compelling and that pout of hers...wow! The most likeable lead female perhaps ever in a SW movie. Liked her better than Leia, and miles better than Rey.

5. Ensemble cast was extremely watchable. Excellent casting and characters and their reasons for being together felt more natural than many other SW films. I could watch these guys more than many other SW casts.

6. Much, much improved and natural dialog. Superior to any other SW film. And this helped a lot. K2SO had great lines, but the way they handled the comedy from him and others felt less campy and more real, while still providing a few light-hearted moments.

7. Plenty of SW insider candy and cameos but nothing too forced. Enjoyable moments for hard-core fans, but didn't seem to detract from/intrude on story or plot flow. Even newbies wouldn't feel something didn't make sense.

8. Great music score. Was wondering about this. Excellent job by the heir apparent to John Williams.

9. Far better and realistic space battle scenes. Nothing felt too cgi or over the top. Some very compelling maneuvers and an enjoyable payoff when the battles came.

10. Hope this influences the regular trilogy films going forward. Hope those making future SW films/spinoffs take a hint from this film. Please don't make Luke or Poe or Rey or Finn or anyone gay. Take lessons from the dialog here. Don't have Carrie Fischer's daughter (or any other relatives) in any more scenes to satisfy nepotism needs. Fix Kylo Ren's character as he just seems like a spoiled brat (Anakin-style) who just needs to be spanked and sent to bed without his supper, and has no real rational agenda or reason. Also, put the WAR back (or maybe in for the first time) the future films and reduce the "Star" values. Show JJ Abrams the door.

They finally made a real good Star Wars film-took them eight tries to get it right. Forrest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed gave potentially Oscar-worthy performances as supporting cast, imo. Hope they get nominated, at least.

Almost everything I feared about TFA blunders/awkward moments was relieved by watching this film. Even though it was long, and the set-up was definitely a bit plodding at the beginning hour, I enjoyed every minute as I understood the necessity and reasoning. Plus, liked the symmetries they had contained in the movie.

Look forward to seeing ya'll post your thoughts and discussion.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 01:16 PM by GoodOwl.)
12-18-2016 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers] - GoodOwl - 12-18-2016 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.