OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Possible Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers]
(05-08-2019 11:31 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 09:43 AM)DETLTU Wrote:  
(05-07-2019 01:48 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Get ready for a Star Wars hiatus. Disney announced three additional films today, but the first one won't come until Dec 2022. The other two will be 2024 and 2026. Only three movies over the next seven years is a product of failed story telling and production IMO.

They also announced new Avatar and Marvel films.

So, question. I was never big into the comic thing, but the way Marvel did the series of 20 plus movies over the past decade has been really impressive. I just saw End Game this weekend. The question I have is based on comparison to Marvel movies, which I have rarely been disappointed by. The story lines and execution of these movies have been on point for the most part. Sure, people can always find something to ***** about a couple were just plain bad, but why in the hell is it so much harder to execute in the same way with the Star Wars franchise? Since the first three, the only ones that have really appealed to me were Rogue One and maybe Episode III. Solo wasn't awful but everything else has just been meh.

I just don't understand why they have struggled to build viable stories and execute them like the Marvel franchise. And that's from someone who isn't really into the super hero comic thing. The Marvel movies have been "most impressive." Frankly, there is too much noise in the Marvel franchise. Too many heroes. Etc. Could easily get lost in all that, but for them to tie it all together with the complex aspect of so many story lines involved...could you imagine how f'd up the Marvel movies would have been if the Star Wars people were doing them?

It's a very interesting question. If you had told somebody 20 years ago that Iron Man and the Avengers would become as big or bigger than Star wars no one would have believed you.

I really think that Star Wars just lost it's way. They are still fun movies, but in an effort to be socially relevant and big spectacles they lost track of good story telling. Part of the allure of Star wars, was a vast universe with lots of intricate details and untold history. The general audience could come to the movie and expect to be entertained, but the hard core fan would go in expecting to find out some new tidbit of previously unknown information about the star wars universe. Now it feels like they make it up as they go (I'm sure they always have, but it didn't feel that way all the time).

The marvel movies are criticized for being formulaic but they work and they are different enough that most people don't notice they follow the same patterns. The characters are good and they are doing a good job casting. Kevin Feige deserves a lot of credit for Marvel. I'm afraid Star Wars doesn't have the similar leadership.

Star Wars lost its way after the first 3 movies.

The prequel trilogy suffered from "having to end a certain way" to tie in to A New Hope properly and Lucas' fascination with CGI and digital tech. The whole vibe that made the first three great was washed away for digital sheen.

The "final" trilogy is shaping up to be a victim of a money grab on the Star Wars name.

The MCU as its called for the Disney/Marvel films was lucky in two respects, its progenitor film, Iron Man was a HUGE success, which led them to believe they could do it and at that point, they mapped out a very good plan of main line and spin off variants to continue the story in part and overall amongst all the main players to that overall story arc they wanted to end at. That same level of plan can't be attributed to anything Star Wars. Partially by the gapes between trilogies, partially by Lucas selling off Lucasfilm, and partially by Disney's own greed.

That said, of the Star Wars spin offs, Rogue One was GREAT. Solo was NOT BAD but fell victim of trying to be about one of the most beloved characters from the originals and having to have a young Solo feel like Harrison Ford was still doing it. Also, the whole L3/Lando thing was very... ahem... weird.

While I wouldn't call TLJ my favorite in some ways I could believe Luke got that hardened by the events in his life considering the circumstances surrounding his own father and then the fallout between his nephew and him... and his nephew's admiration of the Darth Vader persona (which I still have an issue with as I am sure his nephew knew Luke turned him to the light at the end). And also, from what the prequels told us.... with the Sith, there is a master and an apprentice so.... someone will get moved out for the next in one way or the other. Depending on how this IX goes, I think they made some bad plays with Ray and her heritage brought up by Ben Solo. Then the whole angle with _____, Ben Solo, and Ray with dark and light sides and what the ____ really wants with both of them in the grand scheme of things and his stance on Luke.

Would ya'll be interested in them making a Kenobi movie as had been rumored for a while? Ewan MacGragor has said he'd like to do it, and Darth Maul would of course be in it...it could be a hybrid to help tie up the very loose ends in the SOLO movie...not having Han and Obi-Wan actually meet, but could have dual plotlines... I'd be interested in seeing that.

Also, a Yoda movie would be good to answer just who/what Yoda is and where he came from...but I fear with that one that Disney would totally botch it into some kind of toy-selling Ewok-a-palooza.

I didn;t read the Tarkin book, but I wonder about developing a film centered around some of the Empire characters from the various Saga films, and, of course, there would be a story of the Sith in Palpatine's backstory with Darth Plagius. Maybe Snoke could appear in one of those and we could finally figure out who he was after Rian Johnson ridiculously dispatched him in VIII, which I have still only seen once.

As to the Marvel comparison, I really can't make it since I have only seen the original Iron Man, and decided that I just didn't want to invest the time in the superhero movies franchises, and stick to SW films for that genre or near-genre. I guess I like Sci-fi better overall as a setting for these kinds of stories.
05-10-2019 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Star Wars Thread [Warning: Spoilers] - GoodOwl - 05-10-2019 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.