Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schifino transfers to Middle Tennessee
Bookmark and Share
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

MT Media Relations
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Former West Virginia standout Drew Schifino, one of the most prolific scorers in the Big East Conference, has signed a scholarship agreement to play his final year of college basketball at Middle Tennessee.

Schifino, the younger brother of Tennessee Titans third-year receiver Jake Schifino, signed with coach Kermit Davis' Blue Raiders Tuesday and will enroll for classes at the beginning of the fall semester. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Drew Schifino will have to sit out the 2004-05 basketball season and will have one year of eligibility remaining.

"This decision was an important one for me (with only one year remaining), and I felt it important to make the right one," Schifino said. "I like the offensive scheme at Middle Tennessee and how coach (Davis) explained it to me. I think it fits me well. Coach Davis and (associate head coach Donnie) Tyndall seemed real honest and told me what was expected. I enjoyed the visit and believed this was the best situation for me. Coach Tyndall stuck with me from the beginning on this and that made a huge impact in my decision."

It didn't hurt that Jake Schifino is in his third year with the Tennessee Titans professional football franchise, based in Nashville.

"My parents can come watch my brother play and can see me play," Drew Schifino said. "It's a great situation all-around. My brother and I are close so I'm looking forward to being here close to him and seeing him play."

Middle Tennessee fans will be excited to see Drew Schifino play after his redshirt year. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound guard was the top returning scorer in the Big East Conference in 2003-04 after averaging 20.2 points for West Virginia his sophomore year. Only one player - former Syracuse standout and current Denver Nuggett Carmello Anthony - averaged more with a 22.2 point per game clip.

Schifino, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., had a nation-best streak of 48 consecutive double-figure scoring games snapped when he netted nine against Notre Dame last season in his final game as a Mountaineer. He was dismissed from the team for violation of team rules and opted to transfer.

"Drew is a proven talent and he's had success in one of the best basketball leagues in America," Davis said. "We are excited to have him coming into our program. He will sit one year, but I think the redshirt year for any player is beneficial no matter how it comes. It's definitely going to help the academic situation, it's going to help Drew get his body in the best possible shape it's been, and it's going to give him the opportunity to play in our system and get acquainted with the things we do offensively and defensively.

"Drew will definitely be on target to get his degree his senior year."

Schifino, who was averaging 17.6 points in 11 games as a junior, said he believes the year off will be a benefit.

"You just have to make the best of it," Schifino said. "I'm going to get stronger and work to get my game even better than it was."

The addition of Schifino gives the Blue Raiders a significant headstart on the 2005-06 recruiting class as 6-foot-8 forward Tim Blue, a junior transfer from Indian River Community College, already has signed with Middle Tennessee and becomes eligible for 2005-06 season.

"You feel like you have two guys in your (2005-06) class right now with great experience," Davis said. "Obviously we need to add a couple more quality players but you never get complacent in recruiting. They will also have a year to make great progress in the classroom and in strength and conditioning."

<a href='http://www.goblueraiders.com/?go=story&doc=3126' target='_blank'>LINK</a>
07-05-2004 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nashvillegoldenflash Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This is great!!! I can't wait to see him during the 05-06 season. :)
07-07-2004 06:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.