FAU reconsiders marching band
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

By Jennifer Peltz
Staff Writer
Posted July 5 2004

After accompanying Florida Atlantic University's football team through a dazzling season, the university's marching band looked likely to sit out this fall.

Administrators said they might bench the hastily launched, sparingly funded Marching Owls in order to bring them back beefier.

But some students and band directors were crestfallen, and the university now is talking about having the band perform in some capacity this fall.

"I want to try to see if there's interest and to see if there's something we can do that will be valuable to the football games and valuable to the students and ... the people in the stands," said FAU arts programs director George Sparks, who directed the band from its 2002 debut until he took the arts job last fall. The band went without a permanent director last year, but FAU intends to start looking for one this month and hire this year, said College of Arts & Letters Dean William Covino.

He and Sparks say that's a first step toward grander plans for the band, which started on a tight budget and a tighter deadline. Approved in midsummer 2002, the band was assembled in two months, borrowing high schools' tubas and donning Hawaiian shirts and khaki slacks instead of costlier band uniforms. Last year was still leaner, forcing the band to scrape by without some needed replacements for equipment and uniforms, according to FAU finance chief Kenneth Jessell.

An initial corps of 85 or more members fell to about 60, Sparks said. Still, the Marching Owls became a fixture for FAU's startlingly successful football team, which went to the Division I-AA playoffs in its third season last year.

But administrators suggested this spring it might be smarter to invest a year in planning than to spend another year on a shoestring.

Student musicians have opportunities to play in several other ensembles, and most marching band musicians do, according to Sparks. And the band's color guard and drum line train and perform beyond the football games, with the color guard delving into its own competitive season in winter and spring.

But the fall football outings are "good training ... [and] kind of keep you going," said sophomoreAshley Parenti, 18. She chose to attend FAU because of color guard director Shannon Berkstresser, who coached her at Olympic Heights High School in West Boca Raton.

It's not yet clear what form the band might take this fall. Sparks says he plans to consult band members and directors about what they might be willing, and able, to do.

"It's kind of music to my ears, thinking there still might be hope," Berkstresser said.

FAU plans to invite local high school marching bands to perform, as they did before the university started its own. And Sparks says he and other faculty members are researching what it would take to expand the band to 225 or more members over the next three years.

"[There is] no doubt in my mind that the university is committed to the marching band," he said. " ... We're not going away."

Jennifer Peltz can be reached at jpeltz@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6636.

<a href='http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cpband05jul05,0,6308989.story?coll=sfla-news-broward' target='_blank'>LINK</a>
07-05-2004 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

This needs to be worked out. FAU (and any other school) needs a marching band, it is part of the college football game day experience.
07-05-2004 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yeah, I agree that it is a very important part of the total package. Halftime is GREAT; it makes college football preferable to pro ball for me. I sure hope FAU finds a way to keep the band alive and kicking this year!

03-wink
07-05-2004 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

Chris from the FAU Band,please post an update on the situation.
Thanks!!!VW#3971
07-08-2004 03:21 AM
The Pipe Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

And when/if they come back, make sure they're not wearing Jimmy Buffett tribute outfits. We want a proper band!
07-22-2004 09:08 AM
markowl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I really liked the band lst year! 04-cheers

They were good even though not many. I think they did some funny stuff too! 04-drinky
08-09-2004 06:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.