Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next Year...
Bookmark and Share
IU_lauren3
Unregistered

Who's your starting 5?

Food for Thought (incoming freshman...):
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">April 10, 2002

Wilmont Inks National Letter of Intent With Hoosiers
Bloomington, Ind.--Roderick Wilmont, a 6-4, 185-pound shooting guard from Miramar, Florida has signed a national letter of intent to attend Indiana University and compete on the men's team beginning with the 2002-2003 season. Wilmont joins Daryl Pegram, Marshall Strickland and Bracey Wright who announced their intentions to play for the Hoosiers next season back in November.

Wilmont led the state of Florida in scoring as he averaged 31.9 points per game at Miramar High School in his senior season tallying 1,055 points. He played in the Nike Florida North-South all-star game and will be representing Florida in the Georgia vs. Florida game later this month. Wilmont was a nominee for the McDonald's All-America team and was a first team All-State and All-Broward Country selection.

"Roderick is an excellent basketball player. He will be a nice addition to our program. He is a proven scorer and a player that people will be proud to see representing Indiana University," Head Coach Mike Davis said.

Prior released information on recruiting class
Bracey Wright is rated as one of the country's top prep players. The 6-3, 185-pound shooting guard averaged 21 points, seven rebounds, three assists and two steals while shooting .586 from the field and .489 from behind the three-point arc in his junior season at The Colony H.S. He spent his summer playing with Team Texas and led them to the Nike Peach Jam AAU Championship and in the process earned tournament MVP honors while averaging 19 points per game against some of the nation's top prep players.

"I was comfortable with the Indiana staff for a long time. But, I wanted my mom to be comfortable with them too. After we took the (official) visit, she was very comfortable with coach Davis and Indiana," Wright said.

"Bracey is one the best shooters in the country. I fell in love with his game the minute I saw him play for the first time," Davis said. "I am looking forward to coaching him next season."

Wright is rated as the nation's No. 1 shooting guard by RivalsHoops.com, is ranked second at the position by The Sporting News and fifth by ESPN. Overall, The Sporting News has him rated as the eighth best prospect in the nation.

Marshall Strickland is also a blue-chipper according to published rankings. The 6-2, 185-pound guard averaged 30.5 points, 4.3 assists and 1.9 steals while connecting on .520 from the floor and .440 from three-point range. He led South Carroll H.S. to at 20-5 mark and earned first team All-Metro honors.

"Marshall is a strong player who can play both at the point and at the two spot. The combination of him and Bracey Wright makes one impressive back court tandem," Davis said. "I know that Marshall wants to play the point in college and that will be the approach that we take with him next season."

"I think that my best basketball is ahead of me, so I wanted to find a situation where I could develop as a basketball player at a good academic school and Indiana is that place," Strickland said. "A lot of players want to go there because of coach Davis."

Strickland is rated as the top prep point guard in the nation according to ESPN and sits fourth in the RivalsHoops.com rankings. He was ranked eighth by ESPN in its list of top 100 rising seniors and is slotted at No. 32 in The Sporting News top 100 players. He spent the summer playing with the Florida state AAU team.

Daryl Pegram, a native of Los Angeles, CA, will join the Hoosiers via Worcester Academy (Worcester, Mass.). Last year he averaged 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks per game for Worcester. The 6-9, 185-pound forward spent this past summer playing for the LA Rockfish.

"Indiana has a very historic basketball tradition and it's very enticing to play in one of the top conferences in the nation. Indiana, in terms of basketball, just loves the game of basketball. It's a great atmosphere," Pegram said. "As far as academics, they have a very good business program. So for me, it's the best of both worlds. I get an opportunity to play at the top notch level in basketball, and receive a great education. Plus, I really like Coach Davis a lot. He has the Indiana program going in an upward, positive direction. So all those things were very enticing to me."

"Daryl brings a lot to the game of basketball. He is a very smart player, who can play both inside and outside for us," Davis said. "He could create some matchup problems for opponents next season."
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll say: Coverdale, Hornsby, Moye...and then who? Any insight?
05-06-2002 08:37 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.