Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Men at Work" signs have sexist undertones
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

These pitiful, simple-minded PC emme-effers. What will they reach for next? Heard this blurb of Headline News earlier. Some PC group wants those "men at work" construction signs banned from all streets, construction sites, etc. They said that "workers at work" or "persons at work" are acceptable replacements.

Discuss.
07-29-2005 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Re: PC nazis..... I think daddy needed to take them into his bedroom... drop their pants... rare back... and give them the arse beating of a lifetime. That will instill a good sense of "where your rights end you arrogant little brat" for life.
07-29-2005 01:35 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

i always knew this would happen. everytime i see those signs, i get to wondering when people will declare these sexist.
07-29-2005 06:46 AM
jrhessey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cleveland
SkunkworksNCAAbbs LUG

There was a Rick Reilly article "No Man's Land"in SI in September of 2002 about a Womens only golf course in Toronto. Very interesting article... It surprising you don't here Martha Burke complainging about this or forging protests to get us in... it is in the September 16, 2002, near the back. I'm not sure if I still have it or not, I'm trying to find it online, but can't... Anyways here is another guys comments, from GolfEdmonton.com, on the same course after reading Reilly's article...

Quote:I grabbed an old Sports Illustrated the other day, the one I’d left sitting downstairs in the room I refer to as my ever-changing shrine to the game of golf.

No, this issue didn’t have any swimsuits on the cover. It was the September 16, 2002 issue. Of particular interest to me is the column written by Rick Reilly titled, "No Man’s Land".

Reilly waxed on about the Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto, a private facility for women only. According to Reilly, "the waiting list to get into the club is one year; unless you’re a male, in which case it’s forever and one year."

Initially I thought this was just a nifty piece of fiction, but I did investigate and interestingly, the Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto really does exist, since 1924 in fact. And with regard to membership opportunities, Reilly really did explain it accurately.

Imagine that folks, there exists in North America a gender exclusive golf club. Curious, eh? In these days of tolerance and public consciousness, of political correctness and well, dagnabit, the reasonable expectation of some plain old-fashioned common decency. Oh, the humanity!

What with all the hoopla this spring surrounding the "male-only" membership situation at Augusta National Golf Club, the cause of much consternation at the offices of the National Council of Women’s Organizations, I thought it might be interesting to broach the concept of the double standard. I just had to phone this place.

When I reached Ladies’, it was confirmed to me that I have no hope of becoming a member of the Club. And the receptionist wasn’t particularly gentle regarding the genitals issue, as she spoke with a seemingly boastful, pride-filled voice. However, I was told if I know a member who would be willing to sponsor me, I may apply to become a guest cardholder. Of course, I’ll be required to park on the gravel behind the clubhouse rather than in the "female-only" parking lot.

But you know, I think Ladies’ is playing a trick on me, because the powers-that-be are sure to know these two certainties: I will never look in a glove compartment for a map and, I will never stop to ask for directions. You see, the Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto is really located in Thornhill, Ontario. Must be part of the strategy?

Perhaps David Feherty of GOLF Magazine has put the whole issue into a perspective we can all appreciate. "As all men know," Feherty writes, "there's no real upside to arguing with women, because even when we win, we lose something, or at best end up paying more than retail."

So, it is with heart felt sincerity guys, that I ask you to be very cautious at all times in the future, because you don’t want to be on the receiving end of the wallop you’ll feel if the pendulum ever swings back toward you.

(Erickson can be contacted at gegolf@telus.net)
07-29-2005 07:55 AM
SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion

Personally, I think the sign should say "Men sitting around doing nothing but causing a major headache for drivers while they take their long lunch breaks." :D As the old joke says....

Q. What's yellow and sleeps 3?
A. A Georgia D.O.T. truck.

OK, serious now:

If it said "Males at Work" I could see where they're coming from. But, it used to be that "men" could mean people of the male gender, or it could also mean humans in general. "Mankind" doesn't exclude women... it's just easier to write than man/womankind or (wo)mankind.

Also, street signs need to be consise. Ever notice that they leave off punctuation on street signs? Check it out the next time you "DONT WALK". "MEN AT WORK" gets the message across in only 9 letters.

And really, don't these women have better things to do, like fighting breast cancer, rape, malnutrition, etc?
07-29-2005 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

shutup, go to work, and quit ruining my life!
07-29-2005 10:25 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

What's next..the band will have to change its name *sigh*
07-29-2005 10:25 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

Do you come from a land down under?
07-29-2005 10:31 AM
NOLEY Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State

[Image: signslow.jpg]

I dont see the big deal with "MEN AT WORK" I have seen the Mommy signs before I think in Jacksonville last week... Geeez the big <span style='color:orange'>ORANGE</span> sign clues me in I may want to slow the roll or better yet "speeding fines double in work zone" that is another clue people are in the area!

~NOLEY~ :wave:
07-29-2005 10:34 AM
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

SouthGAEagle Wrote:And really, don't these women have better things to do, like fighting breast cancer, rape, malnutrition, etc?
You forgot making dinner and cleaning the house..... :D
07-29-2005 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NOLEY Offline
1st String

blah Wrote:
SouthGAEagle Wrote:And really, don't these women have better things to do, like fighting breast cancer, rape, malnutrition, etc?
Oh that was almost funny :rolleyes: hey blah 03-nutkick

~NOLEY~:wave
07-29-2005 10:42 AM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

NOLEY Wrote:
blah Wrote:

Are you disappointed that I forgot the barefoot and pregnant piece?

It was a joke....Don't be such a "See You Next Tuesday."
07-29-2005 10:49 AM
NOLEY Offline
1st String

That is it I will continue to clean the camper trailer why Bubba grades the road.... Seriously it is stupid that they are changing the signs.....
07-29-2005 10:53 AM
Advertisement

SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion

blah Wrote:
NOLEY Wrote:
blah Wrote:

Are you disappointed that I forgot the barefoot and pregnant piece?

It was a joke....Don't be such a "See You Next Tuesday."
Blah, you gotta admit, you kinda deserved the nutkick on that one! :roflol:
07-29-2005 10:57 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

blah Wrote:
:roflol:
07-29-2005 11:11 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

NOLEY Wrote:[Image: signslow.jpg]

I dont see the big deal with "MEN AT WORK" I have seen the Mommy signs before I think in Jacksonville last week... Geeez the big <span style='color:orange'>ORANGE</span> sign clues me in I may want to slow the roll or better yet "speeding fines double in work zone" that is another clue people are in the area!
Well, in Florida, they have to have the 'Slow down my MOMMY works here' sign in order to make them believable. How many kids are actually going to know who their daddy is?
07-29-2005 11:31 AM
Quote this message in a reply
NOLEY Offline
1st String

No Comment
07-29-2005 11:49 AM
Advertisement

Yawhooos Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Good grief !!

Damn wili it ever end :bang:
07-29-2005 12:25 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

OwlJacket Wrote:
NOLEY Wrote:[Image: signslow.jpg]

Well, in Florida, they have to have the 'Slow down my MOMMY works here' sign in order to make them believable. How many kids are actually going to know who their daddy is?
OwlJacket always jumps in there with a zinger to take it to the next level....Nice work. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
07-29-2005 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.