Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'The shot' at Indiana
Spam Hate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

<a href='http://portfolio.iu.edu/cbburnet/UNCC.wmv' target='_blank'>http://portfolio.iu.edu/cbburnet/UNCC.wmv</a>
12-23-2004 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

I thought the rule was with less than a second all you can do is catch and shoot. Indiana got the shaft. Bobby Lutz should do hair commercials. :laugh:
12-23-2004 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

Under 0.4 seconds is when it would take too much time to dribble and shoot.
12-23-2004 09:14 AM
Advertisement

Spam Hate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

More detail here

<a href='http://portfolio.iu.edu/sgarlock/UNCCend.wmv' target='_blank'>http://portfolio.iu.edu/sgarlock/UNCCend.wmv</a>
12-23-2004 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Say what you want.....Indiana got screwed. There is NO WAY he can catch the ball, turn, dribble,take a step and launch the shot in .7 seconds. This is an example of where a better system is needed. The clock keeper lost them that game. I wonder who will be the next Indiana coach?
12-23-2004 11:05 AM
Advertisement

techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies

:stupid:

The clock started late, but they can't change when the clock starts. Thats a shame for Indiana. I met Plavich after he committed to Tech years back, but when Cremins left, he left. He's a nice guy, knows a lot about basketball. But Indiana got shafted. Not the refs fault, not the players fault. It was the clockkeepers fault as Rick said above.
12-23-2004 11:09 AM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I agree...there's no way you can catch the ball, take a dribble, and shoot in 0.7 seconds. I hate that for Mike Davis. It's games like that that could end up costing his job, even though Indiana was the better team and should have won.
12-23-2004 01:43 PM
Advertisement

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

techfan4 Wrote:Not the refs fault, not the players fault. It was the clockkeepers fault as Rick said above.
Actually it is the refs fault for the clock starting late. Referee's have control over the clock. They have a little black box on their hip that can start or stop the clock, and have a microphone (or something of that nature) that hears the whistle and stops the clock automatically. That's why refs will sometimes blow their whistle with ten minutes to go during the warmups. They're testing the microphone (or whatever hears the whistle) to make sure that its communicating with the clock. They also use this at the High School level.
12-23-2004 03:25 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

Something interesting if you watch the longer footage. The Indiana cheerleaders go out to "defend" center court.
12-23-2004 03:31 PM
Advertisement

Powerbait Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

GDawgs88 Wrote:I agree...there's no way you can catch the ball, take a dribble, and shoot in 0.7 seconds. I hate that for Mike Davis. It's games like that that could end up costing his job, even though Indiana was the better team and should have won.
I'm sure you watched the whole game, so you can say that for sure. But, you know, since the IU fans said that Charlotte was the better team, they must not know anything about their team.
12-23-2004 03:54 PM
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

Yes, the clock started late. But, it will always start late in these situations. The simple truth is that human reaction time is not fast enough to start the clock simultaneously when a player touches the ball. The only way to achieve that would be to start the clock early, and that's unlikely to ever happen for obvious reasons.

I try not to ever get into these "the refs cost _______ the game" arguments based on last-second calls and plays. There are hundreds of plays that occur in a game, and each of them are as important as the one at the very end of the game. A blown call with 8:00 left in the first half should be as important as a blown call at the end of the game. I know most people don't see it that way, but the entire game should weighted equally.

(This is why I sometimes have a problem with the very end of football games where the officials rush to get the ball lined up for a team playing from behind. If you're not going to rush during the rest of the game, then don't rush at the end. I realize that's not feasible because people will get mad at the officials for taking their time... but they should treat the entire game the same, in theory.)

These games have forty minutes for a team to make sure of its own destiny. If they leave the game up to the final play, then they are leaving themselves vulnerable for a freak play like this. Now, if the game had been 40 minutes of bad calls in favor of Charlotte, then I think IU has a legitimate gripe. If it was fairly evenly called, and the only controversy was this last play... then tough luck.

-JD
12-23-2004 06:31 PM
IU_lauren3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Indiana
CrappiesCrappies

03-pissed

At least Hoosierland had something other than Mike Davis to complain about for a few days.

All I know is that I was sitting in the living room at my boyfriend's house making him stay on the game, and when IU went ahead with the .7 seconds left, all I could think is "finally, something goes our way" and thoughts of making some sort of rebound accompanied it. Of course, the second what's-his-name took the half court shot (and of course I said it'd happen before it did just because that's what happens,lol), I froze and for the next few minutes, I sat on the couch in disbelief. Just disbelief. (of course I'm a bit dramatic at times, but good grief.)

Ohhhh it's so hard to be a Hoosiers fan, lol.
12-25-2004 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.