Peyton Manning- one of the best ever?
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Manning Shines As Colts Gobble Up Lions
1 hour ago
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

DETROIT - Peyton Manning broke one of Dan Marino's records, took a big step toward another and didn't even have to play the whole game to do it. Manning threw for six touchdowns in less than three quarters and raised his season total to 41 scoring passes to lead the Indianapolis Colts past the Detroit Lions 41-9 Thursday.

Manning set an NFL record with at least four TD passes in a fifth straight game _ and he did it by halftime. Marino had a four-game streak with at least four TDs in 1984, when he also set a league mark with 48 TD passes in a season.

Connecting with Marvin Harrison and Brandon Stokley three times each for TDs, Manning finished 23-of-28 for 236 yards and zero interceptions for the AFC South-leading Colts (8-4).

Look at the performance this way: Manning had more TDs than incompletions.

The reeling Lions (4-7) were in trouble as soon as they stepped on the field against Manning, but they didn't help themselves by fumbling four times in their territory, missing a field goal and stalling repeatedly in the red zone.

Detroit even ended the game with a turnover, with backup quarterback Mike McMahon throwing an end-zone interception. A fitting cap to what's now a five-game losing streak.

The Colts replaced Manning with Jim Sorgi late in the third quarter. Otherwise, the QB would have had a shot at tying the NFL record of seven touchdown passes in a game, shared by five players: Sid Luckman, Adrian Burk, George Blanda, Y.A. Tittle and Joe Kapp.

Manning matched the Colts record he set in September 2003 against New Orleans, his father's old team. Before that performance, no one had thrown for six TDs in an NFL game in a dozen years.

With five regular-season games left, Manning has already matched Kurt Warner for No. 3 among single-season record for TDs in a season. Marino threw 44 TDs in 1986.

All the offense is helping the Colts overcome their less-than-stellar defense. Indianapolis has won four straight games, scoring at least 40 points the past three.

Detroit and its quarterback are headed in the opposite direction.

A month ago, the Lions were being praised for their turnaround after winning an NFL-low 10 games the last three years. They have reverted to their old ways.

Joey Harrington was 14-of-23 for 156 yards before he was benched in favor of McMahon late in the third quarter.

No such problems for the Colts. Harrison caught 12 passes for 127 yards, and Stokley had five receptions for 57 yards. Edgerrin James had 23 carries for 105 yards.

Stokley caught his three TDs in the first half, and Harrison had one of his to help the Colts take a 27-9 lead at the break.

Lions returner Eddie Drummond, who has scored on four punt and kickoff returns this season, left the game with a shoulder injury on the opening kickoff of the second half. Things got so bad for the Lions that Drummond's replacement, Reggie Swinton, fumbled on a punt return and the loose football was recovered by Colts punter Hunter Smith.

Detroit's subdued fans came to life when Harrington was replaced by McMahon late in the third quarter. But McMahon couldn't help the offense much, going 11-of-15 for 105 yards and the game-ending interception.

Kevin Jones ran for 99 yards on 12 carries for the Lions, who fell to 33-30-2 in their traditional Thanksgiving Day home games.
11-25-2004 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tasha Offline
All American

I Root For:

Well, I'm betting on them to win it all. Just because I think it's their time and also because I don't want to Eagles to win it all.

Should be a good AFC Championship if the Pats and Colts make it that far.
11-25-2004 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

The Coltsies need to improve their defense and get over the New England hump before they'll win a Super Bowl. But, Manning...he's a freak. He'll go down as the greatest QB in NFL history, IMO, because I believe he'll eventually win some Lombardi Trophy's while putting up insane stats.
11-25-2004 11:05 PM
metro6775 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Yeah, if he wants to go down as the greatest he will have to win at least 2 or 3 Superbowls.
11-26-2004 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.