Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cheney Defends Rumsfeld, Says 'Get Off His Case'
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

[Image: vert.cheney.friday.ap.jpg] [Image: 010920-D-9880W-043.gif]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney rushed to the aid of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld -- under fire over Iraqi prison abuses -- by saying people should "get off his case" and let Rumsfeld do his job.

"Don Rumsfeld is the best secretary of defense the United States has ever had," Cheney said in a statement from his office late on Saturday. The statement appeared to signal a White House push to rally Republicans behind the embattled Rumsfeld.

"People ought to get off his case and let him do his job," said Cheney, a Republican.

Democrats, including presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, have demanded Rumsfeld's resignation following disclosures that Iraqi soldiers were mistreated in Iraqi prisons run by the U.S. occupying coalition.

The Washington Post newspaper said in its Sunday edition the Bush administration was reviewing hundreds of additional photographs of abuse of prisoners in Iraq, which a Pentagon official was quoted as calling "horrible."

The controversy over treatment of Iraqi prisoners erupted after CBS television showed photographs of the abuse.

President Bush said he had admonished Rumsfeld last week over his initial handling of the controversy, a rare public White House reference to a rebuke. But he said later Rumsfeld would remain in the cabinet.

National security adviser Condoleezza Rice was quoted in the Post as saying, shortly after speaking to Bush, that Rumsfeld will continue to have the president's support. "He has the strongest possible support here in the White House," Rice said.

Some analysts have said Rumsfeld's future could hang on the impact of the additional photographs of prisoner abuse, which Rumsfeld told Congress on Friday could further damage the United States.

"LIVE-ACTION ABUSE"

The Washington Post said administration officials had been reviewing the additional photos. The newspaper quoted a Pentagon official as saying the images, including some digital video files, depicted "live-action abuse."

The paper said some White House officials were pushing for immediate release of the photos, while the Pentagon was instead considering offering viewings to Congress instead of widespread release.

In congressional testimony on Friday, Rumsfeld said he took responsibility for mistreatment and offered an apology to the victims. He said he would not resign to satisfy political enemies, but would step down if he could no longer be effective.

Some Republican lawmakers have also been skeptical of Rumsfeld's performance but have stopped short of urging his resignation.

Cheney spokesman Kevin Kellems, a former aide to Rumsfeld, said the American public supports the defense secretary. Rumsfeld's feisty demeanor in Pentagon press briefings since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks has gained him a high public profile.

"Americans want to keep Rumsfeld on the job. Why? Because the guy in the glasses they see on TV is the guy who is protecting them by going after the terrorists. That's who he is to the average American. That's the place he's earned since 9/11," Kellems said.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll taken last week, before Rumsfeld's appearance before Congress, said seven in 10 Americans believed Rumsfeld should not quit.

Cheney served as defense secretary in the 1991 Gulf War. He was also a deputy and successor to Rumsfeld as White House chief of staff under former President Gerald Ford. He and Rumsfeld were leading advocates in the Bush administration of last year's invasion of Iraq.
<a href='http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/402308|top|05-09-2004::07:28|reuters.html' target='_blank'>http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/40230...24;reuters.html</a>
05-09-2004 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Even though I am a Republican, I think Cheyney and Rumsfield arre both idiots. It would be in Bush's best interst to dump both of them before the next election, but i guess im not in charge of the RNC. Especially if these videos are what i think they are, this is going to be a political death sentence and Bush would be well advised to roll a couple of heads.
05-09-2004 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

This is the most corrupt, arrogant, and just plain dumb administration in the history of this country. They should all resign before they screw anything else up.
05-09-2004 07:33 PM
Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Oddball Wrote:This is the most corrupt, arrogant, and just plain dumb administration in the history of this country. They should all resign before they screw anything else up.
You're 4 years too late. Why don't they just let them get back to the business of running the government!?

Anyway, Cheney was Rumsfeld's protoge in the '70's. They are pretty tight and it's no surprise to see one defend the other.

Cheney really does need to step down, in order to groom someone for the 2008 election. However, to step down in the midst of scandal won't help. Bad situation.
05-10-2004 10:08 AM
Advertisement

rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

He said he would not resign to satisfy political enemies, but would step down if he could no longer be effective.

All warfare is based on deception.

Sun Tzu [Wu]
05-10-2004 11:12 AM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

I'm a moderate guy, and although very political, I am not ideological and thus I have been on the fence regarding this election for a long time.

I supported the Iraq war for numerous reasons but am upset at how its been carried out. Then again, I have questions about Kerry being the guy to bring us victory and accomplish our objective there.

I think in this way, Im indicative of the type of voter that will decide the 2004 election. Except I live in a reliable Republican state (Texas).

But its statements like this by Cheney that have me leaning hard to Kerry just in the last two weeks. The blame for the Iraqi abuse scandal does not lie with the administration. Its how they handle it that matters.

For Cheney to act like they are beyond reproach, criticism, or questioning is what bothers me so much. As someone who supports our objectives and our victory in Iraq, and realizes that mistakes were clearly made, what I'm looking for is ACCOUNTABILITY. The suspicion has been all along that this administration doesn't feel that they are accountable to anyone for anything. I don't think that making yourself accountable means admitting that you did something wrong. But I think it does mean admitting that possibility, and opening yourself up to people who question you. It goes back to 9/11, the WMD intelligence, Cheney's energy task force....

These guys flat out don't think that Congress or the American People have a right to question their actions. They may believe we have a legal right but they don't believe that our concerns are worth addressing. They don't believe that they need to answer to anyone.

Dick Cheney: I am not going to get off Don Rumsfeld's case. I'm not going to just pretend that this did not happen. It did happen, and someone needs to answer some questions, and someone needs to be held responsible. Untill I know who is responsible for these mistakes, I am not going to stop asking questions. That is my duty as an American and particularly someone who wants to see us Succeed in answering Iraq.

I'm an American citizen. Don Rumsfeld WORKS FOR ME. He SERVES ME. It is not only my right, but my duty to question the conduct of his operation of the DoD. I don't know if he did anything wrong, but its every American's duty not to rest until we find out. That Dick Cheney doesn't understand that has me deeply troubled.
05-11-2004 05:19 PM
sherman&grant Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

OUGwave Wrote:I'm an American citizen. _____________ WORKS FOR ME. He SERVES ME. It is not only my right, but my duty to question the conduct of his operation of _______. I don't know if he did anything wrong, but its every American's duty not to rest until we find out. That __________ doesn't understand that has me deeply troubled.

Honestly, don't you think that you can fill in the blanks on this, year after year, president after president?

You're right about all of it. Stay angry.
05-11-2004 05:48 PM
Advertisement

FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo

This is a good point.

We should always ask these questions regardless of whether is local, state or federal government you are applying to.

Unfortunately.....it's a two party system......and whenever you question anything it's always "politics" instead of just asking "tell me what happened and why" and getting an answer.
05-11-2004 06:03 PM
Coach Doh Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

A good leader would take the accountability upon himself instead of having to be held accountable.

doh
05-12-2004 10:40 AM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

To get closer to the original post, say you work for acme mouse trap company that has 150,000 employees and you are the lowly delivery man driving a company vehicle under the influence. You have a wreck and are now involved in a law suit, should the CEO be fired? Sure ,if he knew you were doing this. Is it his ultimate responsibility to be accountable for each and every employee decision good or bad, whether he approved it or not? If he is, I never want to be in a management position because you would never be able to cover your butt on anything.
As for Bushs' Presidency let's see, he was inaugurated in Jan. with an economy that was going in the tank before he took office. The former Pres seemed to have no control of the mass exodus of jobs going overseas yet remained unscathed by the departures. We took the first major main land hit from a foreign enemy in how many years in Sept. of the same year. He was relying mostly on information that was being and had been collected from a diminished intelligence agency, and now every democrat is crying about mistreated prisoners. All in all I'm really glad it's Bush in the White House and not Gore.
05-12-2004 11:58 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

georgew Wrote:All in all I'm really glad it's Bush in the White House and not Gore.
An opinion based on nothing.

Anyone who thinks that Gore would have gotten us in the messes that Bush has us is should get their head examined.
05-12-2004 01:31 PM
Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Oddball Wrote:
georgew Wrote:All in all I'm really glad it's Bush in the White House and not Gore.
An opinion based on nothing.

Anyone who thinks that Gore would have gotten us in the messes that Bush has us is should get their head examined.
First of all opinions are based upon personal beliefs, so his opinion is based on something.

Second, no Gore would not have us in Iraq or Afganistan. Instead, he would have assumed the Lewinsky position (on his knees, under the desk, in the oval office) and cried about all the damage done to the ozone layer by the Americans and why we deserved to be attacked by terrorists.
05-12-2004 02:41 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

georgew Wrote:Is it his ultimate responsibility to be accountable for each and every employee decision good or bad, whether he approved it or not? If he is, I never want to be in a management position because you would never be able to cover your butt on anything.
You really don't understand leadership.

The point is for a leader to be accountable for what happens in his/her organization. That doesn't mean that he/she shoulders all of the blame, but there needs to be some responsibility taken. Thats what leadership is about, being responsible - not about "being able to cover your butt". I think thats my problem with this administration...everything is about covering their butts, not about trying to get Iraq right. They never admit even the most obvious mistakes, and nothing is ever their fault. How the hell are we supposed to fix Iraq if nobody ever takes responsibility for mistakes?

Its just horrible, horrible leadership. Im beginning to think these people have no business being in power. It isn't an ideological thing, mind you...more of a leadership issue.
05-12-2004 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.