Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Livingston to the NBA
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Sorry to make your heart jump Nate! :wave: Here is another opinion. Most NBA scouts have SL as the first PG taken. Gonna be hard to turn that down.

Preps to pros? Eddy knows

January 21, 2004

Greg Stewart
gstewart@pjstar.com

High school basketball fans aren't the only ones lining up to see Shaun Livingston play.

Livingston and Central played to standing-room only crowds recently at Richwoods, Central and Quincy, and Monday helped the River City Shootout draw one of its best crowds in recent memory.

Along with Joe Fan, NBA scouts are also coming through the doors. Representatives from 29 NBA teams were in St. Louis for the KMOX Shootout, more were in Marshall County, Ky., the Raptors and Hawks were at Friday's game against Manual, the Spurs were rumored to be in Quincy and Bulls general manager John Paxson was supposed to be in Peoria for the RCS.

More will certainly follow, and by the time Livingston plays in the McDonald's All-Star Game on March 31 in Oklahoma City, every team in the league will have a detailed analysis of the 6-foot-7 phenom.

"I'm not even trippin' on that," Livingston said as he bounced out of the Central gym Friday, more concerned with meeting his friends at Agatucci's after a big win over Manual.

With two months left in his senior season, and four months until graduation, Shaun is just trying to enjoy life as an 18-year old. But as he continues to post jaw-dropping performances, the speculation mounts on whether Livingston will spurn Duke and go to the league.

"It was hard for me so I can imagine what it's like for him," said another Illinois prep who took that path three years ago, Bulls center Eddy Curry from South Holland Thornwood. "But I would imagine he has a strong base at home and good coaches in Peoria. He'll make the right decision."

After Curry fended off critical questions from the Chicago media following his inconsistent performance in Saturday's loss to the Knicks, he seemed happy to talk about something other than the Bulls' struggles. His advice to Livingston?

"Right now, he should just finish strong and try to take his team as far as they can go," said Curry, who shared the court with Livingston when Thornwood waxed Richwoods in the 2001 Class AA quarterfinals. "After he's played those games, he can sit down and really make a good decision on what he wants to do. At that point, he should have a pretty good idea what the outcome would be if he came out."

While merely speculation at this point, it is assumed Livingston would be a top-10 pick if he entered the 2004 NBA draft. Dwight Howard, a prep senior from Georgia, is considered a lock for the top spot. Josh Smith, a senior at Oak Hill Academy committed to Indiana, could also be taken high. Other big men are ready to go, but the current college ranks seems devoid of can't-miss guards. Someone with Livingston's tantalizing potential could be too good to pass up for a franchise willing to wait on a kid who needs a couple more years of physical development.

"While they acknowledged Livingston needs to get stronger, (two NBA scouts) said he has the size and talent to make an immediate impact as a point guard in the NBA," said Roy and Harv Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye.

The Charlotte Observer published a story saying Bernie Bickerstaff, GM of the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, is considering Livingston with the No. 4 pick.

Just as he did with his college decision, Livingston isn't saying much. He's shrewd, and it's almost what he's not saying that has some concerned. Responding to a Duke fan site asking whether he was considering a jump to the NBA, Livingston said: "I've heard a lot of talk about it, but no one's heard me say anything different since I committed."

Not exactly solidifying his commitment.

"I think Shaun really wants to go to college," Central coach Chuck Buescher said.

Probably so, but when players are super-sized like Curry or super-skilled like Livingston, it raises the question: Are high school players with NBA-ready skills almost prisoners to their own talent? What's the tradeoff between foregoing what could be the best years of your life, your formative college years, for guaranteed millions in the NBA?

Darius Miles, the 1999 Illinois Mr. Basketball drafted out of East St. Louis by the L.A. Clippers, once said he was "lonely" in the NBA. Despite having more money than he knew what to do with, he wasn't yet old enough to go out with his teammates and spent most of his time on the road sitting in luxury hotels playing video games and ordering $20 cheeseburgers from room service.

"You can say no," Curry said. "If you have a dream of going to college and playing basketball then of course you could say no to the money."

But Curry didn't say no. He passed on a commitment to DePaul, was taken fourth overall by the Bulls and signed a four-year contract reportedly worth $12.53 million.

"I wanted to go to college, but I wanted to go the NBA a little bit more," he said with a smile. "I like my situation."

Based on what Curry and other in the top 10 got, it's not unreasonable to project a similar contract in this year's draft to be worth between $16 and 20 million, especially for a coveted point guard.

To those fans squeezing in to see Central defend its Class AA state title, get your autographs while you still can.

- Greg Stewart is a Journal Star sports reporter. Write to him at 1 News Plaza, Peoria, IL 61643. E-mail gstewart@pjstar.com or call (309) 686-3202.
01-21-2004 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

I Root For: UNC
Folding@NCAAbbs

thats not what <a href='http://www.nbadraft.net' target='_blank'>nbadraft.net</a> says

but then again, some of their other pics seem to be off also, [Image: shrug.gif]
01-21-2004 07:00 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

i believe if you're are a guaranteed lottery pick out of high school, you should go to the NBA. SL will be a lottery pick and therefore should go.
01-21-2004 07:37 PM
marshallisqbu Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall !!!!

I'd take O.J. Mayo.
01-21-2004 07:55 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

SL would not be a lottery pick.

Rick, this is just a bitter Illini fan who unfortunately has pen power.
01-21-2004 09:26 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:a guaranteed lottery pick out of high school,
That's very risky business.
01-21-2004 09:27 PM
Advertisement

hoops13 Offline
All American

I Root For:

Although I see it unlikely, Duke will face some big problems next year at the point guard slot if Livingston goes pro.
01-21-2004 09:43 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Livingston is likely not a lottery pick before workouts. He should go to Duke.

Also, nbadraft.net is worthless.
01-21-2004 09:46 PM
tysramm1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

if you need reliable draft coverage just go to insidehoops.net
01-21-2004 10:13 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

hoops13 Wrote:Although I see it unlikely, Duke will face some big problems next year at the point guard slot if Livingston goes pro.
big problems?

dockery will just have some big shoes to fill. Duke won't have big problems, just a rough transition.
01-21-2004 10:25 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

tysramm1 Wrote:if you need reliable draft coverage just go to insidehoops.net
:stupid:
01-21-2004 10:48 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

nate jonesacc Wrote:SL would not be a lottery pick.
of course he would. How many good 6'5" pg's can you name?
01-21-2004 11:29 PM
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

Donators

Telep has him going Pro.
01-22-2004 06:28 AM
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

Donators

They are flashing the BIG $$$$$$$$ at Deng too. Just think if Sheldon decides he wants to go too. Just conjecture, but it could happen. Talk about a rough transition.
01-22-2004 07:04 AM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:
Two years ago, The Buckeyes backup point guard was 6'7". He must be a lottery pick!
01-22-2004 07:55 AM
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

Donators

cbfranchise3 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:
Two years ago, The Buckeyes backup point guard was 6'7". He must be a lottery pick!
Come on CB, you are talking apples and oranges here.
01-22-2004 08:06 AM
Advertisement

marshallisqbu Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall !!!!

I'd still take OJ Mayo. He's 6'5 PG, avg. over 20 points a game in h.s.

KICKER? He's in 9th freaking grade.
01-22-2004 08:40 AM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:
When's the last time a 160 lbs. player went lottery?
01-22-2004 04:01 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

nate jonesacc Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:
are you that naive to tell me that the NBA weight rooms can't put 20 lbs. on him? Chavlik put on 25 in one offseason, granted he is taller.
01-22-2004 05:23 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:
are you that naive to tell me that the NBA weight rooms can't put 20 lbs. on him? Chavlik put on 25 in one offseason, granted he is taller.
Shav put on 25 pounds of fat... Notice he can barely run and hasn't been effective at all.

Shaun would get tossed around in the paint and his jumper is nowhere near consistent enough to play a completely perimeter game.
01-22-2004 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.