Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not really about politics, but more about
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Reality shows are commonplace these days.

One of which is Fear Factor in which common people compete on who can eat more worms without vomiting.

Does anyone think this is absolute insanity? First of all, who'd want to watch strangers eat worms? Secondly, will we do anything for money?

I for one would eat worms if and only if I were starving. I would not prostitute my diet on national TV.
12-27-2003 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

you know what's bad about our culture? The "diversity" on TV shows. I'm not saying i won't watch these shows, if i did i'd be lying. One of my favorite shows is "Without a Trace". If you've seen it, you know there's an FBI agent who's pretty damn hot. How many real FBI agents look like her? Also, in the show, there's: a prep white guy, a hispanic guy, a black woman, and your typical italian guy from Queens. Another example of this, is NYPD Blue. Look at a precinct in NY and tell me how many cops look like the ones on NYPD Blue.
12-27-2003 12:41 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I know what you are saying.

Shows and movies that depict the military have hot actors in them. A Few Good Men and JAG come to mind here. Like that Catherine Bell on JAG. How many Marine offficers look like her?

Shows like Boston Public have hot teachers, shows like any lawyer show have hot lawyers who work only one case at a time. Doctor shows rarely depict them working or fraudulently billing your insurance company.

Why are high-profile professions depicted in TV drama? Why not show waitresses bickering with cooks about their orders (oh yeah, there was the Mel's Diner show)? Why not show factory workers and their sordid lives?

I know there's the MTV reality crap about sororities and fraternities, how about a drama of nothing but hot rich people being cruel to others. That would be great TV!

The best show ever on TV was Seinfeld. I related with it the very first time I watched it because it was about nothing (kind of like my life!).
12-27-2003 01:08 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

KlutzDio I Wrote:The best show ever on TV was Seinfeld. I related with it the very first time I watched it because it was about nothing (kind of like my life!).
I agree. I also agree that reality shows suck.
12-27-2003 01:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

KlutzDio I Wrote:The best show ever on TV was Seinfeld. I related with it the very first time I watched it because it was about nothing (kind of like my life!).
Seinfeld kicked ******! I watch it every day on TBS at 6:30 and 7:00.
12-27-2003 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

flyingswoosh Wrote:
KlutzDio I Wrote:The best show ever on TV was Seinfeld. I related with it the very first time I watched it because it  was about nothing (kind of like my life!).
Seinfeld kicked ******! I watch it every day on TBS at 6:30 and 7:00.
Dittos. ....I also never thought I'd get into the Friends, but now think it's awesome as well.
12-27-2003 03:32 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

You guys are scaring me. :eek:
12-27-2003 03:50 PM
Wryword2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I haven't seen and do not intend to see any of the shows y'all have mentioned. Fact is, except for football and the History or Discovery Channel and DVD's, I never watch television. I think that television is an insidious plot. It causes flabbiness of thought, indoctrinates those pathetic, intellectually helpless creatures who spend their lives laid out in front of it, and is a thing that should be abolished. It is a sad day when a television creation named "Oprah" (I have never seen that show either) is so apparently important that contenders for the presidency feel it necessary to kiss her ring.
12-27-2003 04:34 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Wryword2 Wrote:I haven't seen and do not intend to see any of the shows y'all have mentioned.  Fact is, except for football and the History or Discovery Channel and DVD's, I never watch television.  I think that television is an insidious plot.  It causes flabbiness of thought,  indoctrinates those pathetic, intellectually helpless creatures who spend their lives laid out in front of it, and is a thing that should be abolished.  It is a sad day when a television creation named "Oprah" (I have never seen that show either) is so apparently important that contenders for the presidency feel it necessary to kiss her ring.
You really need to get away from the Conspiracy Theories Wry. You're starting to sound like a Democrat. :laugh:

Seinfeld is AWESOME!

....and I LOVE my History Channel, Discovery, and TLC.
12-27-2003 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Wryword2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Yes, maybe so. But if so,its on account of subversives like JB(olshevik)R and Klutzdio. :laugh:
12-27-2003 07:30 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Movies, sports, news, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Law and Order, JAG

Thats all TV has to offer. The rest is crap.

I know several people that think Comedy Central is a good station. 03-puke

I used to like CSI and Without a Trace, but not anymore.
12-27-2003 08:18 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

cbfranchise3 Wrote:Movies, sports, news, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Law and Order, JAG

Thats all TV has to offer. The rest is crap.

you act as if that isn't very much.

Everybody Loves Raymond isn't funny. The interesting thing is that Ray Romano is the least funny of the people on the show.
12-27-2003 08:22 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Well, seeing as Ray Romano writes all the of the script... I think he is the funniest of all of them.

History Channel, select Comedy Central shows, The Practice and ESPN/2/Classic are all that it is good for, IMO.
12-27-2003 09:01 PM
Advertisement

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:
cbfranchise3 Wrote:Movies, sports, news, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Law and Order, JAG

Thats all TV has to offer.  The rest is crap.

you act as if that isn't very much.

Everybody Loves Raymond isn't funny. The interesting thing is that Ray Romano is the least funny of the people on the show.
True. His dad and brother are much funnier.
12-27-2003 09:02 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

nate jonesacc Wrote:Well, seeing as Ray Romano writes all the of the script... I think he is the funniest of all of them.

History Channel, select Comedy Central shows, The Practice and ESPN/2/Classic are all that it is good for, IMO.
well maybe he doesn't write good lines for himself. Also, the other characters are better at delivering their lines, than he is.
12-27-2003 10:21 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Let's see, the History Channel and Discovery are good stations and sometimes they have really good programs. Don't confuse their programming with something scholarly though. They present stuff as a kind of intellectual mud-wrestling. Basically, if it is on TV, it is for entertainment purposes which I'm sure you all realize anyway.

My buddy (a history professor) says the history channel is guns, ghosts, goblins and garter belts.

One program they had recently that really impressed me concerned the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In that program they presented primary sources that I have actually seen. I must say, however, their presentation on anything Civil War is usually ambiguous. They don't want to piss off the South!

Discovery channel has some good shows as well but since they are in the business to entertain, their shows are less than scholarly. One thing I watched that I really remember was the program on the Sedona Vortex in southwestern U.S. in which gravity seems to work opposite than we are accostomed to. They presented it as if it were some kind of spooky phenomenon when actually the "secret" to the Vortex has been uncovered for decades now.

Gist of post and I'm sure y'all will agree: take any material from Disc or THC with a grain of salt (I mean if we all cannot agree on what is liberal media vs. conservative media then surely you all don't believe so-called "educational" programming!).
12-27-2003 10:32 PM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Wryword2 Wrote:I haven't seen and do not intend to see any of the shows y'all have mentioned. Fact is, except for football and the History or Discovery Channel and DVD's, I never watch television. I think that television is an insidious plot. It causes flabbiness of thought, indoctrinates those pathetic, intellectually helpless creatures who spend their lives laid out in front of it, and is a thing that should be abolished. It is a sad day when a television creation named "Oprah" (I have never seen that show either) is so apparently important that contenders for the presidency feel it necessary to kiss her ring.
You see, Wry, we still have something in common besides Ole Miss football.

Our mutual hatred of teevee!
01-02-2004 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.